Namek's "Natural Disaster" ...and other stuff.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:31 pm

Ex-Dubbie369 wrote:So I guess that's where Muri's name pun comes from too then, huh?
Yup.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:44 pm

Interesting the Kattatsu and Muri would both be prominent members of the Dragon Clan.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:13 pm

Alright, so I've got a theme to work with now. Dragon Clan members will tend to be named after gastropods. I can stick with instrument names for the Warrior Clan, then.

With Slug as the exception, it'd seem.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:15 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Dragon Clan members will tend to be named after gastropods. I can stick with instrument names for the Warrior Clan, then.
Nail was a Nameccian warrior, remember.
Instrument names were only used for Piccolo and his mazoku henchmen.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:07 am

Olivier Hague wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:Dragon Clan members will tend to be named after gastropods. I can stick with instrument names for the Warrior Clan, then.
Nail was a Nameccian warrior, remember.
Instrument names were only used for Piccolo and his mazoku henchmen.
Shhhh! I'm desperate here! You can only come up with so many names derived from slugs! @_@ Though if you or anyone else can think up a few good ones, I'd be more than willing to stick to use them (and credit you, of course).

But Batu ("Tuba") and Armon ("Harmonica") are the only main characters I've solidly decided on the instrument-based names for. It'd have to be REALLY good new names for me to switch from those, at this point. Other minor characters haven't really been that decisively planned yet don't matter that much.
deviantART
[thread]

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:13 am

I think using the insturment names will work as long as there is some sort of relation to Piccolo involved with it. For example, you have your characters, Batu and Armon, in league with Kattatsu, it would count as some kind of connection to Piccolo.

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darknat » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:29 am

Nameks have gastropods names not instrument names.

The instruments are only used by piccolos minions (maybe they mean something in the namek langauge)

Anyway some interesting things:

Seems (not really sure about it) that the dragon clan or the ones who are not warriors have their gastropod puns in japanese (Katatsu, Muri, Dende...)

Whereas the warriors have their gastropod puns in english (Nail, Slug).

Also if you run out of gastropods you could make puns using other languages too as long as you make it consistently.

For instance we spanish use the words caracol and babosa for Snail and slug respectively (the gastropods I mean, not the Nameks :) )

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:40 am

Alright, alright. Look's like I'm going back to square one with the names. I'll just stick to Gastropod names (in various languages) for Nameks, then. Especially for the elders formerly known as Batu and Armon. I'll need something really good for them. I'll have to look a bunch up, though.

To (the rest of) the internet!
deviantART
[thread]

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:48 pm

I'll suggest, if you haven't already, trying wikipedia for a probably annoying list of scientific names for gastropods. Hmm... I have nothing else to do... *looks at link... then lunch... then back to link...*.

Wow, I totally forgot the difference between Gastropods and mollusks for a second there. I've been sitting here acting emo for too long. -.-.

... Bweh, I like the instrument names you had. ^^.

Hmm. While on the subject of Namekian words... there was that little scene when Bulma and Popo were in the ship, I think for the first time, and things Bulma said randomly had Namekian counterparts. Did these differ significantly between the dub (Syndication version) and Japanese?
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darknat » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:14 pm

caejones wrote:I'll suggest, if you haven't already, trying wikipedia for a probably annoying list of scientific names for gastropods. Hmm... I have nothing else to do... *looks at link... then lunch... then back to link...*.

Wow, I totally forgot the difference between Gastropods and mollusks for a second there. I've been sitting here acting emo for too long. -.-.

... Bweh, I like the instrument names you had. ^^.

Hmm. While on the subject of Namekian words... there was that little scene when Bulma and Popo were in the ship, I think for the first time, and things Bulma said randomly had Namekian counterparts. Did these differ significantly between the dub (Syndication version) and Japanese?

Well actualy it does not need to be exactly a gastropod. For instance, Dende is not a gastropod, Dende is the japanese for the horns of the snails (I don't know if you call them with other word, english is my third language :) )

Also about namekian. I'm not sure about the part of Popo and Bulma, but I think the japanese used reversed tracks to create the namek language. So they speak normally and then reverse it to get namekian :)

I'm pretty sure I read that in the daizenshu or something.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:25 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Alright, alright. Look's like I'm going back to square one with the names. I'll just stick to Gastropod names (in various languages) for Nameks, then. Especially for the elders formerly known as Batu and Armon. I'll need something really good for them. I'll have to look a bunch up, though.

To (the rest of) the internet!
Well, my gastropod related puns aren't the greatest. But I do have a handful I've come up with. Guls (Slug backwards. >>), Eskarga and Sargo (both from Escargot), Sanil (Snail), Thorgasta (Orthogastropoda), Neumos (pneumostome (part of its body), and Helix and Aspersa (both from Helix aspersa (scientific species name). >>
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:17 pm

Hmmm... right now, out of the names you wonderful, helpful folks have come up with, I'm liking...

Batu ---> "Babos" ( From Darknat's "Babosa." REALLY like this one; it still has the same whole "fat n' jolly" feel that "Batu" had)

Armon ---> "Thorgas" (Derived from Xyex's "Thorgasta"; intense and old-soldiery sound to it)

Watcha think? "Katats, Thorgas, and Babos, the three elders." Has a nice sound to it...
deviantART
[thread]

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:37 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Hmmm... right now, out of the names you wonderful, helpful folks have come up with, I'm liking...

Batu ---> "Babos" ( From Darknat's "Babosa." REALLY like this one; it still has the same whole "fat n' jolly" feel that "Batu" had)

Armon ---> "Thorgas" (Derived from Xyex's "Thorgasta"; intense and old-soldiery sound to it)

Watcha think? "Katats, Thorgas, and Babos, the three elders." Has a nice sound to it...
The soldiers of S! No, not you The S. XP Sorry, I just noticed the S at the end of each name and that popped into my head (I'm tired...) but joking aside, they sound good.

I could make another joke about "Thorgas" but I'm not that tired... yet.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:48 pm

Yeah, I noticed that too. Maybe I'll tweak them a bit... in the morning.

But otherwise, thanks all for the suggestions. I should end up with plenty of names for supporting Namekans now, too.
deviantART
[thread]

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:48 am

Darknat wrote:Dende is not a gastropod, Dende is the japanese for the horns of the snails
Whuh? No, it's a pun on "denden mushi".
You must be think of "Tsuno".

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darknat » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:20 am

Olivier Hague wrote:
Darknat wrote:Dende is not a gastropod, Dende is the japanese for the horns of the snails
Whuh? No, it's a pun on "denden mushi".
You must be think of "Tsuno".
well probably lol

I don't know japanese that well I knew one of them mean that :P

Thanks for the clarification

btw, good to see you here. Are you still at the Soul calibur 3 (universe now) forums?

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:43 am

Darknat wrote:btw, good to see you here. Are you still at the Soul calibur 3 (universe now) forums?
Thank you. ^^
And no, I didn't register (yet?)... I'm aways a bit hesitant to register on a new forum...

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:41 pm

Heya! Bumping my Namek topic again! I've got a few more questions for you guys to ponder over...

In general, I'm researching and being crafty concerning Namekian warriors. How exactly are they different from other Namekians? Are they born differently, or are they simply trained to fight rather than to make DragonBalls or farm or whatever? A long those lines, is it possible/feasible that while Piccolo Daimou was not technically a warrior Namekian, as Kami was not, that he spawned Piccolo Jr to be one, and more powerful from it?

Now a little more specifically, info about everyone's favorite plagaristic Namekian villain, Slug. How much was given as to his backstory? Also, and here's the big question...

...What's his power level?

*ducks and covers*

He was pretty damn powerful, to have slapped the Namek-era heroes around like he did, and only be matched/bested by Quasi-SSj Goku. He's not as powerful as Freeza, I'm sure, but would it be reasonable to place him at more around Ginyu's level? A little stronger or weaker?
deviantART
[thread]

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:11 pm

Meh, I got the impression that he was between Ginyu and Freeza... though which Freeza level is questionable. Maybe put him around 200-300 thousand?
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:33 pm

caejones wrote:Meh, I got the impression that he was between Ginyu and Freeza... though which Freeza level is questionable. Maybe put him around 200-300 thousand?
Hee hee. Just only now noticed that I got a response at all...

Hmm... I think it'd be a little more than that. Maybe around Freeza's second level, at most. Goku didn't seem as powerful (at base) in movie 4 as he was against Freeza, but he still needed a semi-Super Saiyan boost to top Slug.

At which stage did Freeza state himself to be at a million? Was it his second or third?
deviantART
[thread]