Namek's "Natural Disaster" ...and other stuff.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaboom

Namek's "Natural Disaster" ...and other stuff.

Post by Kaboom » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:56 pm

So here I am again, asking about another big, mysterious, "only mentioned, barely/never shown" moment in Dragon Ball. My topic of interest this time around is the planet-wide disaster that wracked planet Namek. There's a few things, which I suppose were the major ones, I know about it...
  • It was supposedly "natural" (Though natural on Namek might be considered unnatural elsewhere, especially when dragon balls are involved...)
  • It was large enough a disaster to evacuate a large amount of Namekians (Most notably Kami, of course).
  • Saichoro was around.
  • It wiped out most of the Namekians.
That's pretty much all I know. So, I guess the standard questions apply. What do the Daizenshuu say? Did I miss anything major or get anything wrong in the list above? Were (m)any details given?

For those of you with your hunches: yes, I am asking for my fanfic. I have plans(Oh, such devious plans they are :twisted:), and I don't wanna go contradicting anything.
Last edited by Kaboom on Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Namek's "Natural Distaster"

Post by Eclipse » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:05 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:So here I am again, asking about another big, mysterious, "only mentioned, barely/never shown" moment in Dragon Ball. My topic of interest this time around is the planet-wide disaster that wracked planet Namek. There's a few things, which I suppose were the major ones, I know about it...
  • It was supposedly "natural" (Though natural on Namek might be considered unnatural elsewhere, especially when dragon balls are involved...)
  • It was large enough a disaster to evacuate a large amount of Namekians (Most notably Kami, of course).
  • Saichoro was around.
  • It wiped out most of the Namekians.
That's pretty much all I know. So, I guess the standard questions apply. What do the Daizenshuu say? Did I miss anything major or get anything wrong in the list above? Were (m)any details given?

For those of you with your hunches: yes, I am asking for my fanfic. I have plans(Oh, such devious plans they are :twisted:), and I don't wanna go contradicting anything.
I have the manga, and I can say not much is said about it. Although I'm confused about the part 'evacuate a large amount of Namekians'. Where's that shown? I thought Kami was the only one who escaped.

Oh yeah, and the disaster was something that was able to damage the planet to the state that it was in during Z (Dende said the purpose of growing those trees and the patches were to restore the planet)

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:23 am

Wasn't it something of a draught? I seem to recall that word being thrown out there, which easily explains so many Namekian's dying off.

I toyed with the idea of it including some kind of vast, incredible wind storms, but that's just my imagination. A dry, brown, tornado ravaged namek...

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:21 pm

Eclipse wrote: I have the manga, and I can say not much is said about it. Although I'm confused about the part 'evacuate a large amount of Namekians'. Where's that shown? I thought Kami was the only one who escaped.
Ah, I guess that's one of the parts I got wrong. But why only Kami, then? Why wouldn't they try to evacuate more? Unless, Kami had some sort of special purpose...
Eclipse wrote:Oh yeah, and the disaster was something that was able to damage the planet to the state that it was in during Z (Dende said the purpose of growing those trees and the patches were to restore the planet)
Okey doke then. That bit was actually helpful.

Duo wrote:Wasn't it something of a draught? I seem to recall that word being thrown out there, which easily explains so many Namekian's dying off.
You mean "drought?" That'd make sense... but it's not very dramatic...

The idea I was toying with is a little more dramatic in it's causes. So far, it looks like I'll still be able to use it.
deviantART
[thread]

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:47 pm

Asteroid impact?

Pieter
Beyond Newbie

Post by Pieter » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:24 pm

A storm wiped out ALL namekians except for Saichoro and Piccolo/Kami. Saichoro then layed a shitload of eggs.

Kami said that he had read a letter when he arrived on Earth as a kid and lost his memory, by his parents (katatsu) saying they (?) will come pick him up later. That's what I remember from what Popo told Bulma when they discovered kami's spaceship.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1oUa0XZ7X8]Take Pride![/url]

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:13 pm

Pieter wrote:Saichoro then layed a shitload of eggs.
3 words:

LOL.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:17 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Eclipse wrote: I have the manga, and I can say not much is said about it. Although I'm confused about the part 'evacuate a large amount of Namekians'. Where's that shown? I thought Kami was the only one who escaped.
Ah, I guess that's one of the parts I got wrong. But why only Kami, then? Why wouldn't they try to evacuate more? Unless, Kami had some sort of special purpose...
Well, Saichoro did tell Kuririn that Kami was the prodigy of the Dragon Clan, or something like that.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:44 pm

Storm = cataclysm (so the whole thunder and lightning monsoons and flood imagery work out).

IIRC, the daizenshuu doesn't specifically state that Kami is the only person to escape, but they don't say he's not either. I'll check later. Of the people on Namek, Saichoru is the only survivor.

Note that the daizenshuu explains that the Nameks' interstellar diplomacy consisted of peaceful exchange with nearby inhabited planets and that it was only stopped as a result of the cataclysm. It's possible, therefore, that one or more Nameks were off-planet during the event. It could also explain how Nappa knew about the Nameks without the Saiyans ever invading their planet.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:00 am

One thing that intrigued me was Saichoro's mention of the Dragon Clan, I know that someone when Gohan and Kuririn were on Namek that someone was called as part of the Warrior Clan or something like that. What's interesting is it inherited via family ties or is it by choice? And if Kami was part of the "Dragon Clan" how come he became particularly adept at combat? Wouldn't have the Warrior Namek's have been the only ones priveleged enough to have those said skills?

Wow... What a ramble by yours truly! *happy sigh* Yes indeed, it's good to be back on the forum.
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:54 pm

Mystic Jack wrote:One thing that intrigued me was Saichoro's mention of the Dragon Clan, I know that someone when Gohan and Kuririn were on Namek that someone was called as part of the Warrior Clan or something like that. What's interesting is it inherited via family ties or is it by choice? And if Kami was part of the "Dragon Clan" how come he became particularly adept at combat? Wouldn't have the Warrior Namek's have been the only ones priveleged enough to have those said skills?

Wow... What a ramble by yours truly! *happy sigh* Yes indeed, it's good to be back on the forum.
Kami wasn't an adept fighter at all. His skills were all about sensing ki, flying, etc, all of which we later find out are techniques useable by all Namekians. As for Piccolo Daimao, it's possible that he was a warrior once defused from Kami since he's just pure evil.

Nail was called part of the warrior caste, as was Piccolo. I think it might be via family ties, since Piccolo appears to be a warrior only because his father was.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:56 am

Well the whole of Kami was an extremely powerful warrior, whether or not that counts because of Piccolo's other half there I'm not sure...
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:32 pm

Mystic Jack wrote:Well the whole of Kami was an extremely powerful warrior, whether or not that counts because of Piccolo's other half there I'm not sure...
But that's my point. The son of Katats was a powerful member of the Dragon Clan, not a powerful warrior. Think Dende with a PL of 100,000 (to put the argument into context). Does this mean he's an adept warrior? Not at all. He's just fracking powerful.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:00 pm

Duo is correct. Dende called the cataclysm a drought while talking to Kuririn, Gohan and Bulma.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:26 pm

Tyro wrote:Duo is correct. Dende called the cataclysm a drought while talking to Kuririn, Gohan and Bulma.
Where? All I see is a comment about they drink water and when asked why they have agriculture he says its to restore Namek to its former beauty.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:04 pm

Dayspring wrote:
Tyro wrote:Duo is correct. Dende called the cataclysm a drought while talking to Kuririn, Gohan and Bulma.
Where? All I see is a comment about they drink water and when asked why they have agriculture he says its to restore Namek to its former beauty.
Seconded. I'd like to see hard proof of the drought thing. It'd be hard to work a drought into my plans, if indeed it is true.
deviantART
[thread]

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:39 pm

Dende: "They say that a long time ago, before the terrible drought came, Namek was a beautiful world with lots of hydrangeas..."

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:40 pm

Tyro wrote:Dende: "They say that a long time ago, before the terrible drought came, Namek was a beautiful world with lots of hydrangeas..."
We'll need a Japanese translation then. French version says cataclysm there.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:01 pm

Dayspring wrote:
Tyro wrote:Dende: "They say that a long time ago, before the terrible drought came, Namek was a beautiful world with lots of hydrangeas..."
We'll need a Japanese translation then. French version says cataclysm there.
Yes. Please. Will someone with the original japanese please give me what was said?
deviantART
[thread]

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:48 pm

Well, okay. Here's a translation of all of Dende's relevant dialogue:
Dende wrote:Those are Ajissa saplings...

It seems that long ago, before the abnormal weather occurred, Namek was a beautiful planet, overgrown with Ajissa trees...

But the Ajissa forests, and nearly all of the Namekkians died out...

So, now, we're multiplying the Ajissa trees to make a beautiful Namek again.
Ajissa isn't a real plant, but the name is probably a pun on Ajisai, which is a real plant (Hydrangea). Weird that Viz had to go and translate it like that, since it gives the impression that Namek has a species of Earth plant on it.
-Rachel