Viz to release 'Dragon Ball Collector'

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Viz to release 'Dragon Ball Collector'

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:12 pm

In my new monthly Shônen JUMP (North America release from Viz Media), this being issue 56, Viz reveals in October, as part of 'Shonen JUMP Evolution' a 'Dragon Ball' collector will be released.

Also, they cover Harukanaru [Gokū] Densetsu, calling it 'a fun little diversion for your DS.'

Peace out,
Yūgi's Black Magician
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

desirecampbell

Re: Viz to release 'Dragon Ball Collector'

Post by desirecampbell » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:17 pm

JulieYBM wrote:In my new monthly Shônen JUMP (North America release from Viz Media), this being issue 56, Viz reveals in October, as part of 'Shonen JUMP Evolution' a 'Dragon Ball' collector will be released.

Also, they cover Harukanaru [Gokū] Densetsu, calling it 'a fun little diversion for your DS.'

Peace out,
Yūgi's Black Magician
So... huh? Does this mean we get a 'collector's edition of the manga? Or is this just some cheap Dragon Radar toy?

Death-T
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Death-T » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:18 pm

Pretty cool,I haven't renewed my subscription yet and I've been to busy lateley to take a trip to the bookstore so I've missed out on the last few SJ magazines. :( Anyway that collector will definatley get my money. :) The Naruto Collectors are pretty good,and they have new creator interviews. (New meaning they're not merely recycled interveiws in Japanese SJ mags,etc.) Anyway it'll make for an interesting read,I trust VIZ will actually supply ACCURATE information as opposed to FUNimations Season Set booklets. >,>
desirecampbell wrote: So... huh? Does this mean we get a 'collector's edition of the manga? Or is this just some cheap Dragon Radar toy?
Um,it's a magazine,it'll probably supply creator interviews,DVD and merchandising coverage,video game screen shots and information and other goodies that're fun to read,story coverage etc etc.

(Eh,I wish they'd release a Yu-Gi-Oh! collector.I'd like to read new interviews with Takasahi-Sensei and maybe some coverage for Yu-Gi-Oh! R once it comes over here... )
Last edited by Death-T on Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[color=blue]"Inherited Will.The Destiny of the Age and the Dreams of it's People.These will not be stopped.As long as People continue to pursue the Meaning of Freedom,They will never cease to be !"

~ 0ne Piece ~

"H-heh heh heh ... What is 'evil'? If I'm loyal to what you say is right,is that all it takes to make me 'good' ?"

~ Bakura ~ Yu-Gi-Oh ! Duel Monsters ~ [/color]

Magic Saiya-jin

Post by Magic Saiya-jin » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:25 pm

How the hell did you get the issue so quickly.

Death-T
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Death-T » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:27 pm

Magic Saiya-jin wrote:How the hell did you get the issue so quickly.
Subscribers often get their issues early,even up to ten days before it's seen in book stores.It isn't garunteed though. :roll: Some just get theirs earlier then others.
[color=blue]"Inherited Will.The Destiny of the Age and the Dreams of it's People.These will not be stopped.As long as People continue to pursue the Meaning of Freedom,They will never cease to be !"

~ 0ne Piece ~

"H-heh heh heh ... What is 'evil'? If I'm loyal to what you say is right,is that all it takes to make me 'good' ?"

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:29 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:In my new monthly Shônen JUMP (North America release from Viz Media), this being issue 56, Viz reveals in October, as part of 'Shonen JUMP Evolution' a 'Dragon Ball' collector will be released.
So... huh? Does this mean we get a 'collector's edition of the manga? Or is this just some cheap Dragon Radar toy?
If the Naruto Collectors are anything to go by, I'm assuming it'll probably just be a magazine that covers the DB manga, anime, trading cards, video games, and other stuff. Kinda like what Beckett did with their DBZ collector magazine. Of course, I'm only assuming; it could be something entirely different.

EDIT: Didn't see that this question had already been answered; my bad.

Personally, if this does turn out to just be a magazine covering random stuff about the franchise, I'll probably pass. Something like this doesn't really interest me very much. I wish Viz would realize that there's better DragonBall things to make, like a translated version of the Daizenshuu. I'd definately buy those.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:36 pm

I'd want either a translated Daizenshuu, or an unedited, english Kanzenban release.

Death-T
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Death-T » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:40 pm

MagicBox wrote:
desirecampbell wrote:
If the Naruto Collectors are anything to go by, I'm assuming it'll probably just be a magazine that covers the DB manga, anime, trading cards, video games, and other stuff. Kinda like what Beckett did with their DBZ collector magazine. Of course, I'm only assuming; it could be something entirely different.

EDIT: Didn't see that this question had already been answered; my bad.

Personally, if this does turn out to just be a magazine covering random stuff about the franchise, I'll probably pass. Something like this doesn't really interest me very much. I wish Viz would realize that there's better DragonBall things to make, like a translated version of the Daizenshuu. I'd definately buy those.
Yeah,a translated Daizenshuu set would be a great product.And VIZ does awknowledge the existence of manga and anime products only released in Japan,they even reference them in their magazine. It could be a possability.

But nevertheless,I think this magazine will be an interesting read. =)
Ex Dubbie wrote: I'd want either a translated Daizenshuu, or an unedited, english Kanzenban release.
If SJ ever decides to give us a translated kanzenban release,the first series' to recieve one will be Naruto. :roll:
Last edited by Death-T on Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

~ 0ne Piece ~

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:07 am

Is this something you'd have to have an SJ subscription to get, or will it be in stores too?

Death-T
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Death-T » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:09 am

It'll be in stores,it's not a subscription goodie.Just an indivisual magazine covering Dragon Ball alone, and published by SJ.

~ 0ne Piece ~

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:57 am

You gave me this great hope for a translated Daizenshuu and then dashed it away all within the topic post. :(

I guess I'll just wait and see what develops with this. I actually stopped reading the American Shounen Jump after they dropped dbz from their lineup.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:52 am

Death-T wrote:It'll be in stores,it's not a subscription goodie.Just an indivisual magazine covering Dragon Ball alone, and published by SJ.
Heya:

Please remember to put spaces between your sentences. Thanks!

Also, if anyone has a scan of this little news bit, that would be great... I'm not about to go out and buy that thing :P.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Mystic Jack
Regular

Post by Mystic Jack » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:23 am

I'd say the latter, but I'm hoping that it's not!
Singer, actor, chiropractor!

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:45 pm

Darn, you got my hopes up to. I thought they'd be releasing an English Kanzenban.

If this special issue is in stock at my local store, I'll probably pick it up. Sounds neat.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:51 pm

I personally would rather they release the Daizenshuu..... :(
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Death-T
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Death-T » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:52 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Death-T wrote:It'll be in stores,it's not a subscription goodie.Just an indivisual magazine covering Dragon Ball alone, and published by SJ.
Heya:

Please remember to put spaces between your sentences. Thanks!

Also, if anyone has a scan of this little news bit, that would be great... I'm not about to go out and buy that thing :P.
Sorry,I've tried to remember that lateley. I'll probably pick up the issue soon, but I don't have a scanner. =/

~ 0ne Piece ~

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:12 pm

When will this be released?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:25 pm

Snail wrote:When will this be released?
First post says October.

I know you guys are laughing at it by comparing it to the Naruto Collectors, but think about it: what the hell is left to release for the DB Collector to talk about? I think this might have some serious potential, especially if an article is talks about 2008 releases of the daizenshuu or kanzenban.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

GokuSoul
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuSoul » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:27 pm

Yeah I saw this too I wanted to scan it and make a thread a few days ago but I didn't get to that.

capsuleman
Not-So-Newbie

Post by capsuleman » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:19 pm

Huh...I wonder if they are just referring to this...

http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.p ... highlight=
Tyler Durden: Now, a question of etiquette - as I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?