Do you find it weird when people say Saiyan as Saiya-jin?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:08 pm

I actually said Saiyan up until hearing the podcast, I listen to past episodes a lot so I sort of pick up the words after hearing them for a long amount of time. Same with Pike-u-han (although I first saw that name in Buu's fury before actually watching the beginning of the Buu saga so I always mispronounced it as "Pick-on" up until I heard his name spoken out loud on the podcast.)
Last edited by NeptuneKai on Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:46 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:Buu's furry
O_o

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Re: Do you find it weird when people say Saiyan as Saiya-jin

Post by Olivier Hague » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:08 pm

Thanos6 wrote:They also use "Nameccians" and "Namekku Planet."
The Daisenshû used "Namekku Planet"? I don't remember seeing that...
Wasn't that spelling used in the recent Kanzenban-looking guidebooks?

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Re: Do you find it weird when people say Saiyan as Saiya-jin

Post by Thanos6 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:25 pm

Olivier Hague wrote:
Thanos6 wrote:They also use "Nameccians" and "Namekku Planet."
The Daisenshû used "Namekku Planet"? I don't remember seeing that...
Wasn't that spelling used in the recent Kanzenban-looking guidebooks?
I dunno, I just know that in TV Animation Part 1, there's a section "Battle for Namekku Planet."
Trunks & Goten forever

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:57 pm

Rocketman wrote:
O_o
To which I respond, "lol."

Gotta say one thing for bad typing... it's often good for a laugh...
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:03 pm

Duo wrote:Well, English is about the least logical language in the world, which is of course why it's risen to become the most commonly used.

But the point still stands. "Say-in" has no root in proper English pronunciation -or- the original Japanese.
Yet you use the language just fine. If it truly had no logic to it, your post would read vastly different from any others (or the posted forums rules). Many people argue the complexities of the language allow a more diverse and subtle form of communication to transpire.

Also, the point stands that we can take many similar words from different languages and show common relationships. Just because one person on side of the world pronounces its slightly different from someone else doesn't invalidate it. We can point out it will work both ways for those languages as well.

Hell, some people pronounce different words differently in the same language.

So, Say-yun, Sigh-yun, SSJ... its all good and I know what you are attempting to communicate.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:57 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:I'm one of the weird types of people who pronounces it as Super Saiyan, but abbreviates it as SSJ. It's just seems more "correct".
A lot of guys abbreviate it as such to avoid people thinking they're talking about nazis.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:25 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Adamant wrote:Eh, I find it weird when people use FUNi dub terms :P
It's not a 'FUNi dub term', it's the English translation.
No, "saiyan" is the English translation. I do use that. The dub says "sehhun" or whatever, and that's... not right. And as someone who has watched less than 10 english dub episodes in total, it's completely unfamiliar and weird.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:37 am

Saiyan and Saiya-jin are both right. Saying Saiyan as "Say-an," however, is incorrect. Unfortunately, most people who only follow the dub will look at you and try to tell you you're pronouncing it wrong.

...But then again, you also have the nutjobs that claim anything in English sucks and pronounces even names in English in a Japanese pronounciation (like calling Trunks, Cell or Freeza as Torankusu, Seru, or Furiiza).

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:41 am

I personally use the American pronunciation of Saiyan, mostly because most of the people I've talked to about Dragonball in real life (which is mostly limited to just my husband these days :P) have been more familiar with the English dub. Also, I started out watching the English dub, so it was the first term I used and it just stuck. It would feel like I was trying to be "l33t" if I suddenly changed what I call it after nearly 10 years as a Dragonball fan.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Furu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Furu » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:47 am

Tsukento wrote:Saiyan and Saiya-jin are both right. Saying Saiyan as "Say-an," however, is incorrect. Unfortunately, most people who only follow the dub will look at you and try to tell you you're pronouncing it wrong.

...But then again, you also have the nutjobs that claim anything in English sucks and pronounces even names in English in a Japanese pronounciation (like calling Trunks, Cell or Freeza as Torankusu, Seru, or Furiiza).
There are people like that? That's...terrifying.
Hey, I entirely forgot I had an account here. AGAIN.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:38 am

Furu wrote:
Tsukento wrote:...But then again, you also have the nutjobs that claim anything in English sucks and pronounces even names in English in a Japanese pronounciation (like calling Trunks, Cell or Freeza as Torankusu, Seru, or Furiiza).
There are people like that? That's...terrifying.
But my favorite show is Doragon Bōru Zetto! :P

Personally I tend to use Saiyan (when speaking aloud) more than Saiya-jin, if only because the only fellow DB fan I know is my sister, and she's a dubbie, I've tried to get away with "Sigh-an" but all it has gotten me so far are weird looks.

balrog
Not-So-Newbie

Post by balrog » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:31 am

I actually do think it's weird when people say saiya-jin. I've heard saiyan all my life, not just on the show but when I actually talked about it with people. IMO only people who can speak Japanese should say words like that. Mike is an exception I guess because he knows so much about DBZ.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:39 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
O_o
To which I respond, "lol."

Gotta say one thing for bad typing... it's often good for a laugh...
I'm the only one who played Buu's furry? Y'know Buu makes a fur suit and goes to a convention as a bear, does a little yiffing...no? Yeah okay my bad. Although I wouldn't call it bad typing more of a small rushed typo.
Last edited by NeptuneKai on Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Terra-jin
Regular

Post by Terra-jin » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:34 pm

I always say and type Saiyan, even though I call myself Terra-jin instead of Terran :P

For the abbreviation I always type SSj instead of SSJ. It looks better as Saiya-jin than it does as Saiya-Jin.

But really these things don't matter much. I do agree with mostly everyone here that people who constantly use the Japanese spelling are a bit annoying.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:11 pm

I prefer using Saiyan,but i don't care if people use the other term.

zoiozazu
Not-So-Newbie

Post by zoiozazu » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:53 am

I use 'Saiyajin' because thats the way in Brazil...Its kind off funny the "Saiyan' thing, but i got used with it.
Drabon-fans, help the saiyan kid! Vote Goku for Votatoon!
http://www.cartoonnetwork.com.br/votatoon/

[b][color=green][GREEN TEAM][/color][/b]

chibi_goten
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by chibi_goten » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:26 am

Xyex wrote:I only find hearing Saiya-jin weird when it's pronounced slowly like the person is focusing hard on saying it correctly. I
refuse to use "SS") but I still pronounce it Say-in because of my extensive exposure to the dub and the video games.
That's how it goes for me too, Saiya-jin doesn't sound weird at all to me, but I've had saiyan drilled into me, and to be honest I prefer that name.

Tsukento
I Live Here

Post by Tsukento » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:39 pm

Ah yes. That's another thing. Other languages had "Saiya-jin" and "Namekku-sei-jin" said (like the Mexican dub) rather than trying to say an equivalent to Saiyan or Namek (or Namekian). The Mexican dub got away with using a ton of Japanese terms.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:00 pm

chibi_goten wrote:
Xyex wrote:I only find hearing Saiya-jin weird when it's pronounced slowly like the person is focusing hard on saying it correctly. I
refuse to use "SS") but I still pronounce it Say-in because of my extensive exposure to the dub and the video games.
That's how it goes for me too, Saiya-jin doesn't sound weird at all to me, but I've had saiyan drilled into me, and to be honest I prefer that name.
Same with me. Kind of similar for me is Ryu from Street Fighter. I still pronounce his name as "Ry-yoo". Been doing it since I was 10 and am too used to it. Call other game, and manga characters with that name the correct way, but not him. Same with Sakura, though friends gave me crap for that, though they ignore the whole thing with Ryu.