Live Action Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:38 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Steven Perry wrote:Great film makers do it because it's their passion, and they want to entertain people.
And pay their bills.

...How about the directors who are so rich that they haven't got to work for the rest of their lives? :roll: Why are they still making movies?
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~

The Time Traveller
I Live Here

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:40 pm

Steven Perry wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
Steven Perry wrote:Great film makers do it because it's their passion, and they want to entertain people.
And pay their bills.

...How about the directors who are so rich that they haven't got to work for the rest of their lives? :roll: Why are they still making movies?

Kevin Smith is the Director who inspired me to be a film maker (Working on it), he went through his personal hell to get a grainy, grundgy, black and white, foul mouthed cult classic out there.

He keeps trying to make Comic Book movies now, but ends up doing Romantic Comedies. all I know of the future is Clerks 3 and Ranger Danger and the Danger Rangers.

raz1337

Post by raz1337 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:24 pm

GokuSoul wrote:You guys shoulden't worry about all the effects much..I mean look at Heroes right? :?
Heroes was different, though. Dragonball Z is a series that focuses heavily on energy beams, planets exploding, and people turning into giant monkeys. Just think how much it would cost to make the final Gohan vs. Cell kamehameha duel in live action.

Heroes was popular because it didn't focus too much on drama or too much on special effects. It portrayed its characters in a fashion that it showed how their powers affected their everyday lives, that was their goal.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:17 pm

I don't see how the Gohan Cell kamehameha duel could cost that much. I've seen fireworks displays (Something is definitely trying to eat my letters...) that can sorta pull off the flashi-ness.
It's just... a beam of light, crazy ground-shaking, screwing with te plants (if there are even any left), a few scenes of earthquakes and crazy atmospheric/hydrospheric action... all been done before! In fact, I'd imagine there's someone here that could pull that off.

People turning into giant monkeys? Flight? Rapid combat? Crazy glowing stuff and energy blasts?
Come on, people! Haven't you ever watched a movie with special effects before? Or... like... _Power Rangers_?

If there's one thing hollywood has proven (with no lack of help from George Lucas), it's that the sky's the limit where visual effects are concerned.

It's the story and characters that concern me. If there's one thing Hollywood has proven (with no lack of help from George Lucas), it's that we can only half predict what they're going to do with these elements without leaks.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Dragon Ball Daisuki
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragon Ball Daisuki » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:42 pm

I dislike Sagas/Spidey3 style intros enough that I might pull a "stupid fanboy" and try to find someone to send my probably-not-working-with-the-plan intro to.
Yeah, or I'll just put it online.
The problem with intros is that they have no precedence. Imagine watching a version of Spider-Man 1 that opted to focus more on the conflict between Spidey and the Goblin that used an intro to "recap" the origin. It's going to be lost on 80% of the audience who aren't familiar enough with the franchise to know the ins-and-outs of the titular character's origins. But to the fans it makes sense!

;P

Then there's the people who want to say things like ... OK FOR THE FIRST TWENTY MINUTES WE RECAP EARLY DRAGONBALL THEN FOR THE NEXT THIRTY MINUTES WE HAVE RADITZ AND FOR THE LAST HOUR WE HAVE TRAINING/VEGETA.

God. These are the sort of people whom I doubt seriously posess anything succeeding a passing familiarity with Dragon Ball -- and want to skip right to the "good stuff": Raditz getting impaled and Vegeta turning into a giant ape. No disrespect towards personal taste, but this is exactly the kind of wood that fuels the fire of sheer dumb action vs. character development and compelling plot.

</rant>
For yer health!

DemonKingPiccolo
Beyond Newbie

Post by DemonKingPiccolo » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:50 pm

This movie better be good, even as much as I don't want it to be made...
"There's a hole in the world like a great black pit
And it's filled with people who are filled with shit
And the vermin of the world inhabit it."
~Sweeney Todd

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:55 pm

Steven Perry wrote:Let's just hope the people making this movie love Dragonball.
This is also one of my concerns. I hope the director they get is very familiar with the original material. Get someone who has actually read the manga.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:08 pm

tarsonis wrote:
Steven Perry wrote:Let's just hope the people making this movie love Dragonball.
This is also one of my concerns. I hope the director they get is very familiar with the original material. Get someone who has actually read the manga.
Let's also hope guys in charge don't make him do something different a la Street Fighter. Had a director who was familiar with the games and a fan, but Capcom told him to make an original story with their characters.

If that happens we'll end like it, a movie not liked by most of its fandom, but makes a afew million short of breaking even that pulls in even more in other countries thus getting its producers their money's worth.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:07 pm

My ideal first movie... and this is just me thinking up random stuff for

The first movie is an adapted and condensed DragonBall, with Goku as a young teenager and Piccolo as the main villain. The prologue features Bardock personally sending off Goku's pod before facing Freeza and Planet Vegeta is blown up, thus setting up Goku's origins and providing an actiony, stuff-blows-up hook for the audience. Goku lands on Earth and ends up being trained by monks or something, rivaling and/or befriending Kuririn, Yamcha and Tenshinhan in the process. He ends up training with his adopted Grandpa and eventually Roshi after grandpa's killed in the same way as the manga. Maybe a Budokai will get thrown into the mix somewhere. Bulma shows up looking for the DragonBall which the monks have, Goku is sent along with her as a bodyguard at his own insistence, as he doesn't want to just give her the 4-star ball. After a bunch of crap with the DragonBalls and possibly the RRA, they later return to find the monastery has been attacked and most of the monks killed by King Piccolo's minion(s), and Kuririn is among the casualties. Goku charges off, fights through Piccolo's minions but is beaten and left for dead by King Piccolo himself. Kami saves and trains Goku for about a year while Piccolo conquers most of the planet. After his training, Goku has a huge battle with King Piccolo in a capitol city, and Goku kills King Piccolo and saves the Earth. Shenlong gets summoned, and King Piccolo's victims are wished back to life.

The sequel will open with the 23rd Budokai, with Goku and a disguised Piccolo Jr potentially facing off, but Raditz crashes the party.

There. With just 10 minutes of brainstorming, I've got a plot concept, using literally the most basic of the basic story elements. So don't tell me that professional, trained Hollywood scriptwriters can't come up with something better.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader

We Gotta Power >>>>> Cha-La Head Cha-La. Fight me.
If Super wanted to be "canon," then it should have been good.
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:19 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:My ideal first movie... and this is just me thinking up random stuff for

The first movie is an adapted and condensed DragonBall, with Goku as a young teenager and Piccolo as the main villain. The prologue features Bardock personally sending off Goku's pod before facing Freeza and Planet Vegeta is blown up, thus setting up Goku's origins and providing an actiony, stuff-blows-up hook for the audience. Goku lands on Earth and ends up being trained by monks or something, rivaling and/or befriending Kuririn, Yamcha and Tenshinhan in the process. He ends up training with his adopted Grandpa and eventually Roshi after grandpa's killed in the same way as the manga. Maybe a Budokai will get thrown into the mix somewhere. Bulma shows up looking for the DragonBall which the monks have, Goku is sent along with her as a bodyguard at his own insistence, as he doesn't want to just give her the 4-star ball. After a bunch of crap with the DragonBalls and possibly the RRA, they later return to find the monastery has been attacked and most of the monks killed by King Piccolo's minion(s), and Kuririn is among the casualties. Goku charges off, fights through Piccolo's minions but is beaten and left for dead by King Piccolo himself. Kami saves and trains Goku for about a year while Piccolo conquers most of the planet. After his training, Goku has a huge battle with King Piccolo in a capitol city, and Goku kills King Piccolo and saves the Earth. Shenlong gets summoned, and King Piccolo's victims are wished back to life.

The sequel will open with the 23rd Budokai, with Goku and a disguised Piccolo Jr potentially facing off, but Raditz crashes the party.

There. With just 10 minutes of brainstorming, I've got a plot concept, using literally the most basic of the basic story elements. So don't tell me that professional, trained Hollywood scriptwriters can't come up with something better.
... I wonder where Gohan and Chichi will enter the mix in this concept... o.o
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:21 pm

KinoFourpaws wrote: ... I wonder where Gohan and Chichi will enter the mix in this concept... o.o
Oh. Uh... Goku will get betrothed to Chi-Chi at some point in the movie, and they'll be married and have Gohan by the sequel.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader

We Gotta Power >>>>> Cha-La Head Cha-La. Fight me.
If Super wanted to be "canon," then it should have been good.
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:09 pm

I'm excited. DragonBall has a lot of weird stuff and it will be interesting to see it cut down for American audiences with all the really cool stuff still in the movie.

EDIT - oh, and I bet my life this will be based on DRAGONBALL Z. Not the original DragonBall. The reason is director's don't know if the movie will have a sequal, so they go with the most popular story. More people have seen "Z" than the original DragonBall.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Dbzmaster28

Post by Dbzmaster28 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:38 pm

I have been having a feeling ever since I saw Transformers that there would be an Live Action DBZ movie on the way, and guess what!
:P
This is awesome!!!!!

SaiyaMel
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by SaiyaMel » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:14 am

Where Son Goku and his family live. :) parts of it should definitely be filmed there.
Just Saiyan...

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by SatoSky » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:51 am

SaiyaMel wrote:Where Son Goku and his family live. :) parts of it should definitely be filmed there.
:shock: That's amazing! It looks a lot like the scenary from the 10th Anniversary film. Great find.

tinlunlau
Regular

Post by tinlunlau » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:57 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:
I have faith in Hollywood with this. They've done Spider-Man well, they've done Transformers especialy well, and they can do DragonBall well.
I don't.
FOX should have done what Columbia Pictures have been doing. Produce an Asian movie. DBZ is one of those things that should be primarily a Japanese things. Or do what Universal Pictures has done for "Dororo". Get a Japanese cast and a competant Hong Kong fight choreography like Tony Ching Siu-Tung (he designed the fights in Zhang Yimou's "Hero" and many other classics).
The world is your's.

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:13 am

tinlunlau wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:
I have faith in Hollywood with this.
I don't.
Round up, round up, get your 'For' and 'Against Movie' animated avatars here today, and show the world your opinion! (Just tell me if you want one and I'll combine your current avatar with the one you chose below to make it animated)

Image Image

KinoFourpaws
Regular

Post by KinoFourpaws » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:33 am

Steven Perry wrote:
tinlunlau wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:
I have faith in Hollywood with this.
I don't.
Round up, round up, get your 'For' and 'Against Movie' animated avatars here today, and show the world your opinion! (Just tell me if you want one and I'll combine your current avatar with the one you chose below to make it animated)

Image Image
Do we really have to inspire more division... ? :?
Art, etc. links taken down for now. Will be updated at some point. I dunno.

I NEED A NEW SIGNATURE D:

Steam handle: KinoFourpaws. Want to shoot up some zambees?

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REG

Post by SatoSky » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:34 am

Thanks for the blue avy Steven. It matches with the sexy blue-haired Beast that is Legato Bluesummers. :wink:

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:35 am

KinoFourpaws wrote:
Steven Perry wrote:
tinlunlau wrote: I don't.

Image Image
Do we really have to inspire more division... ? :?
You're either 'For', or 'Against'. Chose now.

Or suffer the consequences. :evil: