Live Action Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:20 pm

I do think Mai looks pretty asian. And hey, what do you know. They casted an asian actor for her :)

But seriously, does it matter what kind of race they casted? Should they have casted an actual Namek for Piccolo? :P

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:45 pm

Bura wrote:I do think Mai looks pretty asian. And hey, what do you know. They casted an asian actor for her :)

But seriously, does it matter what kind of race they casted? Should they have casted an actual Namek for Piccolo? :P
Actually, I always wanted a black guy to be cast as Piccolo. :P
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:53 pm

Kendamu wrote:
Bura wrote:I do think Mai looks pretty asian. And hey, what do you know. They casted an asian actor for her :)

Are you saying that Black people are mean and have attitude problems but later become a role model to a white kid? Oh man, you gonna get capped.

I can understand James Masters as Piccolo, I always called him Gohan's gay dad, and if you've seen the new Torchwood where James Masters sucks John Barrowman's lips off then you'll see. Also Spike was a bad guy who turns good, like Andrew too, like Vegeta out of Dragonball Z.
:lol:

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:07 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:I can understand James Masters as Piccolo, I always called him Gohan's gay dad, and if you've seen the new Torchwood where James Masters sucks John Barrowman's lips off then you'll see. Also Spike was a bad guy who turns good, like Andrew too, like Vegeta out of Dragonball Z.
:lol:
Marsters would've been perfect as Vegeta.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:26 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
Kendamu wrote:

Are you saying that Black people are mean and have attitude problems but later become a role model to a white kid? Oh man, you gonna get capped.
Welcome to America. :roll: :lol:
(they/she)

Artificial Human #887
Beyond Newbie

Post by Artificial Human #887 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:59 pm

Bura wrote: But seriously, does it matter what kind of race they casted? Should they have casted an actual Namek for Piccolo? :P
Yes. I think Nail could play Piccolo fairly well. Damn you Fox, not casting actual Nameks!

Shrug. I don't see the big deal in any way. Getting actors of Asian descent doesn't mean it's going to make the movie better or more accurate. It may "look" that way because it's a Japanese franchise, but I don't think that in the long run it makes a difference in any way.

What does matter is how the script it / how the actors are. Because if either of those is bad, that's when bad character portrayal happens. And I firmly believe that's all that matters at this point. (Aside from good directing/sfx/film making in general, etc)
Aly. Professional nerd. [url=http://vegetas.livejournal.com]vegetas@livejournal[/url]

DB Cosplay 2009: The Great Saiyaman

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:26 pm

Actually, having an Asian guy playing a character with an Asian name would make it more accurate. But, since people seem to cry "racism" every time someone points that out obviously the majority of people here either would prefer Son Goku to not be Asian or just don't care.

And don't even try to play the Race Card on this post! I'm just pointing something out. I'm not stating a personal preference. As long as it's not my opinion, you guys have nothing to stomp into the ground in a Fanboy Fury (TM).
(they/she)

Artificial Human #887
Beyond Newbie

Post by Artificial Human #887 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:31 pm

Kendamu wrote:Actually, having an Asian guy playing a character with an Asian name would make it more accurate.
I respectfully disagree. I've seen non-Asian people with Asian names - I don't see why it makes any difference. It's a movie, it's a work of fiction. As long as the actor is going to play the role well (which I know is currently a debatable topic, but we'll save that for another time).

A name is simply a name, it doesn't signify anything else, in my opinion, especially not in the way of a big (medium?) budget Hollywood film, based on a Japanese comic. It's a lose/lose, there's no way of pleasing everyone with what they'd like to see portrayed in this movie.
Aly. Professional nerd. [url=http://vegetas.livejournal.com]vegetas@livejournal[/url]

DB Cosplay 2009: The Great Saiyaman

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:33 pm

Kendamu wrote:
I agree, I always pictured Piccolo as a black man.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:44 pm

Artificial Human #887 wrote:
Kendamu wrote:Actually, having an Asian guy playing a character with an Asian name would make it more accurate.
I respectfully disagree. I've seen non-Asian people with Asian names - I don't see why it makes any difference. It's a movie, it's a work of fiction. As long as the actor is going to play the role well (which I know is currently a debatable topic, but we'll save that for another time).

A name is simply a name, it doesn't signify anything else, in my opinion, especially not in the way of a big (medium?) budget Hollywood film, based on a Japanese comic. It's a lose/lose, there's no way of pleasing everyone with what they'd like to see portrayed in this movie.
I know that you can't please everyone with this movie. I'll be surprised if it pleases anyone at all. I also realize that Asian actors isn't going to make the movie better or otherwise the Chinese live-action DB film wouldn't be so infamous amongst Dragonball fans.

However, even if we've both seen non-Asian people with Asian names, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say that it's common sense that Toriyama intended for Goku to be Asian when he created him especially considering the fact that he was adapting "Journey to the West" as well as the fact that a lot of the Chinese stuff he put into it had a lot to do with his wife being obsessed with Chinese stuff at the time.

Just look for some Toriyama interviews. You'll see what I'm talking about.

But, once again, I will repeat: I also realize that Asian actors isn't going to make the movie better or otherwise the Chinese live-action DB film wouldn't be so infamous amongst Dragonball fans.

It just seems to make more sense if Asian people played the parts of Asian people in movies.
(they/she)

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:32 am

Please someone correct me here if I'm wrong, and I'll respectfully admit that I didn't know what the hell I was talking about, and shouldn't have spoken up... but Goku is not an "Asian name", let alone even a common name at all.

As for him "most likely being Asian", due to being based on Sun Wukong: that's a monkey, not a person... So yeah, an Asian monkey...

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:38 am

Big Momma wrote:
Kendamu wrote:
I agree, I always pictured Piccolo as a black man.
Always pictured Michael Jai White.

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:40 am

Alright, let's head into the jungles of China, maybe we'll get lucky and find a furless asian monkey fully equipped with a reddish orange 'power pole', whilst wearing a snugly fit blue gi. :)

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:19 am

Snail wrote:Alright, let's head into the jungles of China, maybe we'll get lucky and find a furless asian monkey fully equipped with a reddish orange 'power pole', whilst wearing a snugly fit blue gi. :)
China doesn't have any jungles.

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:48 am

Forests? :lol:

Contra Deus
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Contra Deus » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:46 pm

I always thought Jason Statham would've made a good Piccolo. Vin Diesel would've been an overly obvious choice, but Statham has the attitude for it.

Although I'm satisfied with Marsters having the part, as he lights up any role he plays.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:09 pm

It just seems to make more sense if Asian people played the parts of Asian people in movies.
Yeah, sure. Asian people playing Asians makes sense. Asian people playing people that aren't Asian doesn't. Goku = not Asian. And I'm not talking about the anime or the manga or anything of that sort. I'm talking about the movie. Or has everyone gone and forgotten that we are not getting the manga projected onto a movie screen. We're getting an adaptation and in said adaptation Goku is not Asian. Get over it people, it's not the end of the world.

You know, 90% of the complaints I see in this thread are of the "Wah, it's different, I'm scared!" variety and it's really, really, really sad. Once we have actual stuff from the movie itself to complain about go right ahead and do so. Acting is awful? Alright, bitch about it. Special effects look like shit? Ok, complain away. Hell, if something about the movie does turn out awful I'll probably be one of the ones bitching. But please don't complain about stuff that's not even something that can be complained about.

Remember the word adaptation. It doesn't matter what Toriayama intended with the manga. This movie is not the manga. It's a live action American made movie based on the manga, nothing more. No adaptations are ever exact. Deal with it. If change bugs you that much you need to get yourself a nice padded room to live in because you wont last in the real world otherwise.

Especially when this isn't even change in the first place. Again, adaptation. The movie is not the manga. The movie is a spin-off concept of the manga. It's someone else's take on the story. It IS NOT TORIYAMA'S DRAGONBALL and was never intended to be so.

And... I'm going to stop there because it's just not worth the effort.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:35 pm

Well put Xyex.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:57 pm

You're right, Xyex. It's not worth your effort. Because, unlike you, I don't use the word "adaption" so loosely. In fact, I'm pretty sure that, in your terms, what you call an adaption I call a "very loose adaption." By your terms, what I'm looking for is a "reasonably faithful adaption." In my eyes, that means something similar to the 10th Anniversary Dragonball movie but instead of the Red Ribbon Army being the villains it would be Piccolo Daimao instead.

Son Goku essentially being a cross between Peter Parker and Clark Kent in an orange dogi with kanji on it doesn't really scream "Dragonball" as much as it screams "low-budget martial arts film that tried to get more people to pay to see it by randomly giving the characters Dragonball names." Y'know... kind of like "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within" only slightly better. The only saving grace so far seems to be that James Marsters is an actual fan of Dragonball and is excited to play Piccolo Daimao.

Of course, I hope that when trailers and stuff start showing up that I'm proven wrong. Based off the information we have, though, I'm not really seeing "Dragonball" when I look at this.
(they/she)

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:15 pm

Kendamu wrote:You're right, Xyex. It's not worth your effort. Because, unlike you, I don't use the word "adaption" so loosely. In fact, I'm pretty sure that, in your terms, what you call an adaption I call a "very loose adaption." By your terms, what I'm looking for is a "reasonably faithful adaption." In my eyes, that means something similar to the 10th Anniversary Dragonball movie but instead of the Red Ribbon Army being the villains it would be Piccolo Daimao instead.

Son Goku essentially being a cross between Peter Parker and Clark Kent in an orange dogi with kanji on it doesn't really scream "Dragonball" as much as it screams "low-budget martial arts film that tried to get more people to pay to see it by randomly giving the characters Dragonball names." Y'know... kind of like "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within" only slightly better. The only saving grace so far seems to be that James Marsters is an actual fan of Dragonball and is excited to play Piccolo Daimao.

Of course, I hope that when trailers and stuff start showing up that I'm proven wrong. Based off the information we have, though, I'm not really seeing "Dragonball" when I look at this.
Agreed. I'd also like to repost some earlier points:
desirecampbell, on adaptations, wrote:No, an adaptation would be live action version of Dragon Ball. Still Dragon Ball, just live action. Sure, some things get changed, because it's unavoidable and adaptations are never perfect.
See: Pride and Prejudice (1813 novel) -> Pride and Prejudice (1995 BBC miniseries)

Using an existing story and characters as a base, but using it only as a starting point to tell a different story is best described as an homage.
See: Pride and Prejudice (1813 novel) -> Bride and Prejudice (2004 film)

Taking an existing story and dismembering it to a point where it is barely recognizable, is neither an adaptation nor an homage. It's a rip-off.
See: Pride and Prejudice (1813 novel) ->Bridget Jone's Diary (1996 novel/2001 film)

Guess which one of these categories the new Dragon Ball film falls under?
desirecampbell, on good adaptation techniques, wrote:'Tidbits' are not enough to make this a good movie. "Oh, he's wearing the turtle gi just like in the show" is not a good reaction. It shouldn't be exciting that their using the uniform we see for 90% of the series.
desirecampbell, on condensation, wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:What? It's clearly an adaptation. A little more condensed than most, but overall, what little we know so far of the characters and story are pretty darn close.
I'm not complaining about condensing it, that would be fine. I'm pissed about changing the characters, the setting, and the sory. Everything else is fine, oh wait, there isn't anything else.