Live Action Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:52 am

Thanos6 wrote:I'm saying that a powerless Magneto who reacts as the one in the movies did is not blatantly out-of-character. It's not like he curled up into a ball and started weeping.
Oh, I was referring to physical weakness, mainly. I still didn't like that he was all mopey, but I can accept it. I just didn't like that they portrayed him as someone who relied so much on his magno-powers.
Thanos6 wrote:(My favorite Magneto moment? In the late 80's when he fights the Red Skull)
Red Skull is full of win :D

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:09 am

I don't see that as a problem, either. It's not like "can still fight without powers" is a defining characteristic. If I had to list Top Ten Personality Facts Of Magneto that would by no means make the list. I don't think it's essential.

(I love the moment in that confrontation with the Skull when he basically goes "Herr Magneto, you are not so different from I" and Mags just freaks out. Gruenwald was a genius)
Trunks & Goten forever

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:53 am

Steven Perry wrote:Yeah, you're right there. But hey, why do we want everything to be so similar to the manga's core plot? We've already experienced Dragonball's story many times; we need something fresh and new. A completely new story would be good.
Personally, I don't have a problem with original stories. Some of Toei's movies were great examples of them. But what will suck is the inevitable personality changes.

I still say Gokuu will be changed beyond recognition. Goodbye, lovable, naive, ignorant mountain boy, and hello kung fu Clark Kent.
-Rachel

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:19 am

TripleRach wrote: I still say Gokuu will be changed beyond recognition. Goodbye, lovable, naive, ignorant mountain boy, and hello kung fu Clark Kent.
LOL I couldn't have said it better myself.

I can't wait until we'll get some hamfisted American bullshit shoveled down our throats by some generic dullard doing a bad impression of Sean Schemmel!

Dress Masako Nozawa up as Goku.

Problem solved.

Also, whats the bet Goku attains Super Saiya-jin while fighting Vegeta, or at some other equally innapropriate moment (Perhaps when Farmer with shotgun dies)

Furu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Furu » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:42 am

Oh man what if they write out Farmer With Shotgun.
Hey, I entirely forgot I had an account here. AGAIN.

Terra-jin
Regular

Post by Terra-jin » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:43 am

I wonder what part of Dragonball they're gonna make. The first rumours about the movie said they were doing the Bardock special, but I guess they'll want the movie to revolve around Goku and the other more well-known characters.
I'd guess they're doing the Saiyan saga first. But how will they fit in the year of training? It'd be kind'a boring to see them train for a large part of the movie. Also, would they be able to fit the Freeza saga in there, as well? Or are we talking one movie per saga?

Furu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Furu » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:17 am

I can't even imagine how much of a mess trying to do the entire Saiyajin Saga in two hours of film would be.

In fact, despite my optimism on this helping the franchise, I can't imagine the actual movie going well unless they

A. Hire an amazing director

or

B. Start from the beginning of Dragonball

And I really just can't see either.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:45 am

I would just like to say that I'm still not convinced this is even going to happen. In fact, I wouldn't be convinced until I actually see a real teaser trailer.

Than I'll accept the fact that this will be made. Even though it shouldn't be. This is just another Hollywood attempt at making money. It's like Halloween (remake of a movie that doesn't need a freaking remake) or I Am Legend (based off a book that has two freaking movies based off it already, The Last Man on Earth and The Omega Man).

Anyway, if this does actually get made, I'll be sure to see it as soon as possible so I can see for myself just how little it contains what I love about Dragon Ball. Or if it's actually any good. :?

Gaiash
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gaiash » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:46 am

Furu wrote:I can't even imagine how much of a mess trying to do the entire Saiyajin Saga in two hours of film would be.
Well they could skip a great deal of the training.
Proud Advanceshipper (Ash+May)

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:49 am

We have very little info but it sounds like they are skipping over Raditz and Nappa too. Since they really only say "a sajin" or something to that extent. My money is on them skipping a crap load of stuff if this is ever out.
(Think Harry Potter movies.)
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

mysteriousdbzgt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mysteriousdbzgt » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:31 am

NOOOOOOOO!!! I have a bad feeling about this movie.
Just another Dragon Ball fangirl in the world.

DB & Tiger and Bunny are my main fandoms, along with many other animes.

Deviantart Profile/ Tiger & Bunnyftw tumblr/ mysteriousdbzgt tumblr / My Anime List Profile

GokuSoul
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuSoul » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:02 am

You guys shoulden't worry about all the effects much..I mean look at Heroes right? :?

Furu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Furu » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:14 am

GokuSoul wrote:You guys shoulden't worry about all the effects much..I mean look at Heroes right? :?
If a hundred million dollars can't buy better special effects than an NBC TV series, I'm going to purchase a hat and then eat it.

TAS
Beyond Newbie

Post by TAS » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:33 am

I wonder what part of Dragonball they're gonna make. The first rumours about the movie said they were doing the Bardock special,
I don't ever remember hearing any rumors about that. That must have been something someone made up a message board, because I don't ever remember Fox planning on doing it that way.

Despite all the various rumors the one thing that always stayed the same with the rumors was that they were going to plan on making a series of movies, with each movie most likely condensing a saga.
But how will they fit in the year of training?
They won't.

Expect there to be a lot of things that are changed, cut, etc, so for instnace with the training, if in it, it won't be a year long, they'll most likely make it a month or whatever.

[qutoe]Also, would they be able to fit the Freeza saga in there, as well? Or are we talking one movie per saga?[/quote]

One movie per saga is the plan.

Death-T
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Death-T » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:45 am

desirecampbell wrote:
Thanos6 wrote:And re: "old man Magneto," dude, he was in a Nazi concentration camp. He HAS to be old. What works with Erik Lehnsherr is what works with, believe it or not, Freeza; the weak-looking exterior hides massive power.
I take it you've never, ever, read an Xmen comic. Magneteo is old - not feeble. Magneteo is a great villain because he's not just master of magnetism, he's also fucking ripped. In X2 (and again in X3) they take away his powers and he becomes helpless - that's not Magneteo, goddamnit. He can go toe to toe with the best of them.

Death-T wrote:Holy fucking crap. I'm not a fan of the anime,and I can understand how you would feel about the movie. But even so,you are overcritical to an amazingly disturbing extent.

In all honesty,I thought the movie was awesome. And you don't have to freak out just because someone does like the movie. As the vast majority of the people who've seen it do.
I'm not saying you can't like Transformers (I'm saying you've got to have low standards, but hey, I'm okay with people who like the Orange Box too), I'm just saying that it was a sub-par movie in and of itself, and completely undeserving of the property it used as it's only pull for movie goers.

I'm not overly critical, I just want an adaptation to remain true to at least the core of the plot. That's all. I'm just hoping for 'hey let's not change anything for no goddamn reason'. That's all. Magneteo isn't a frail old man. Peter Parker gives up being Spider-man after his girlfriend dies and the rest of his family and friends are mortally threatened - not merely inconvenienced.

From what we've seen of recent comic book movies, we can expect huge, pointless changes to be made. That's all I'm trying to say.
Well,I'm sorry if I disrespected your opinion. If I was a fan of the series',then maybe I would have a bit of a different opinion. I do think the movie was well done however in general. I liked the story to,but again: In comparison to the series' I don't know how good it is. But I still think I would've liked it nevertheless. It would've just been something to enjoy..

I'm not expecting this DBZ movie to be all that great,I would just like a decent story,good action,"beleivable" characters despite not having crazy hair,and characters that portray the characters from the anime to an accurate yet realistic extent.
[color=blue]"Inherited Will.The Destiny of the Age and the Dreams of it's People.These will not be stopped.As long as People continue to pursue the Meaning of Freedom,They will never cease to be !"

~ 0ne Piece ~

"H-heh heh heh ... What is 'evil'? If I'm loyal to what you say is right,is that all it takes to make me 'good' ?"

~ Bakura ~ Yu-Gi-Oh ! Duel Monsters ~ [/color]

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:52 am

Diz'aam. With several posts every hour and over three pages worth in less than a day, I haven't seen a thread this active since we first caught news of the Season Sets back in the latter half of last year.

Personally, I never thought this movie would happen after it looked like DBZ had fizzled out in America. But apparently it is happening . . .

Ngh. Why do I feel like it's going to turn out similarly to The Super Mario Bros. Movie back in the mid-90s?

~Da Lemmy
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:27 am

Ngh. Why do I feel like it's going to turn out similarly to The Super Mario Bros. Movie back in the mid-90s?
Shut up! ::Runs into a corner crying, petting Super Mario Doll::

Seriously though... So, it says it will be three epic movies? So that should be the Saiyan saga, Frezza Saga and Cell saga no? I hope it's not an original story. :?

tarsonis
Regular

Post by tarsonis » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:39 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Seriously though... So, it says it will be three epic movies? So that should be the Saiyan saga, Frezza Saga and Cell saga no? I hope it's not an original story. :?
It doesn't say that anywhere. Only that they are filming three (unrelated) movies.
The Lecherous Muten Roshi wrote:This is just another Hollywood attempt at making money.
Isn't that why any studio makes a movie, whether it's a revision of something else or not? It's a business. They hope to make money and we hope to get a decent product in return.
Last edited by tarsonis on Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:41 am

They said it's being adapted from the manga... Perhaps there's hope, but I'm not holding my breath. As long as they don't take too many liberties and we get something on par with the X-men or Spider-man movies I'll be happy. At least this will give us something to follow! :D

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:42 am

I'll pull an EX and eat my shorts if this ever actually sees the light of day in my lifetime.