Was Gohan's birth seen at the end of Dragon ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Rocketman
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10798
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:17 pm

Post by Rocketman » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:41 pm

Bura wrote:...That's TOO cute for words. Bleh, why isn't that on my DVD!?
Thanks for those caps!!
Because eyecatchers are stupid when there's no commercial break.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family
Posts: 3146
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:39 am

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:57 pm

Rocketman wrote:Because eyecatchers are stupid when there's no commercial break.
Whereas Kuririn summoning Porunga twice = the smarts.

-Corey

User avatar
Rocketman
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10798
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:17 pm

Post by Rocketman » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:21 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:Whereas Kuririn summoning Porunga twice = the smarts.

-Corey
Which happens independently of the eyecatchers.

User avatar
Lobster_Rage155
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:00 pm

Post by Lobster_Rage155 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:46 pm

Rocketman wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:Whereas Kuririn summoning Porunga twice = the smarts.

-Corey
Which happens independently of the eyecatchers.
Which happens because of the commercial break signaled by the eye catchers.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family
Posts: 3146
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:39 am

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:13 pm

Lobster_Rage155 wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:Whereas Kuririn summoning Porunga twice = the smarts.

-Corey
Which happens independently of the eyecatchers.
Which happens because of the commercial break signaled by the eye catchers.
Ding ding ding.

-Corey

User avatar
Rocketman
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10798
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:17 pm

Post by Rocketman » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:37 am

Lobster_Rage155 wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:Whereas Kuririn summoning Porunga twice = the smarts.

-Corey
Which happens independently of the eyecatchers.
Which happens because of the commercial break signaled by the eye catchers.
And when there is no commercial break?

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family
Posts: 3146
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:39 am

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:38 am

Rocketman wrote:
Lobster_Rage155 wrote:
Rocketman wrote: Which happens independently of the eyecatchers.
Which happens because of the commercial break signaled by the eye catchers.
And when there is no commercial break?
You can either a.) have it run back-to-back in a semi-retarded manner or b.) cut footage, shortening the episode and possibly removing an alternate take.

What is your point? The eyecatches were made by the animators, with the episodes tailored around them. Just like many animes (Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, etc.). You remove them, you remove the intended flow.

-Corey

User avatar
Bura
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1247
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:30 pm
Location: Netherlands

Post by Bura » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:05 am

MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Bura wrote:...That's TOO cute for words. Bleh, why isn't that on my DVD!?
Thanks for those caps!!
Because you don't want the eyecatches, just like you don't want 4:3 footage or detail or original colors. Now get back in your cage.

-Corey
Actually, I despise everything American when it comes to DBZ so you have no right saying something like that. I can't help it that this is the only thing we have here in Holland (and it's import, too). -_-

I actually love eye catches. Especially those of DB/Z/GT.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family
Posts: 3146
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:39 am

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:16 am

Bura wrote:Actually, I despise everything American when it comes to DBZ so you have no right saying something like that. I can't help it that this is the only thing we have here in Holland (and it's import, too). -_-

I actually love eye catches. Especially those of DB/Z/GT.
That was a joke, btw. I was making light of the stance that FUNi appears to take.

-Corey

tarsonis
Regular
Posts: 515
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:34 pm
Location: Maryland

Post by tarsonis » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:42 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:You remove them, you remove the intended flow.
Finally, someone understands this. I guess the only other acceptable alternative would be to insert a couple of seconds of dead air where the eyecatches would normally go. Then you don't jolt from one shot immediately to the next, (sometimes made worse when the second shot is a repeat of the first one).

I see this done with TV shows on DVD, where we get a black screen between acts, where commercials were originally.

Of course, it's best to just avoid all that and leave the eyecatches in.

Post Reply