English Neko Majin Scans...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

English Neko Majin Scans...

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:35 am

I just got the Shonen Jump with the one chapter of Neko Majin. I would love to scan the whole thing and just post it up on here but thats kinda illegal. Instead I will just give you a two page preview.

peterx
Beyond Newbie

Post by peterx » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:38 am

Neko Majin manga story is related to Dragon Ball universe at any point? :?

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:41 am

peterx wrote:Neko Majin manga story is related to Dragon Ball universe at any point? :?
Yeah, it's a parody of Dragonball Z by Akira Toriyama.

Bomber Greek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bomber Greek » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:58 am

Do you think this will ever be in Graphic Novel format here?

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:08 pm

Anyone else find it peculiar how Viz doesn't use their official translation "Djinn" and sticks with "Majin"? Aren't they kinda contradicting themselves? According to their own "translating" choices, his name should be "Neko-Djinn". >_>;;
14 years later

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:38 pm

Anyone else find it peculiar how Viz doesn't use their official translation "Djinn" and sticks with "Majin"? Aren't they kinda contradicting themselves? According to their own "translating" choices, his name should be "Neko-Djinn". >_>;;

Not so much. Foreign languages aren’t like secret codes; there’s not always a one-to-one correspondence between a word in one language and a word in another. So it can be perfectly justifiable to translate a certain word a different way depending on the context. “Majin” is in fact used in Japanese to refer to djinn, but it can refer to other things as well. Majin Boo displayed the characteristics of a djinn*, so it makes sense to translate “majin” as “djinn” in his case. Neko Majin doesn’t resemble a djinn so much, so it wouldn’t make sense to translate “majin” that way for him.

*Yes he does! And don’t tell me he isn’t a djinn because he doesn’t grant wishes. Djinn doen’t grant wishes! The (Two) djinn in the story of Aladdin are fairly unique in this capacity.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:47 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:Anyone else find it peculiar how Viz doesn't use their official translation "Djinn" and sticks with "Majin"? Aren't they kinda contradicting themselves? According to their own "translating" choices, his name should be "Neko-Djinn". >_>;;
IF they do decide to bring over the Neko Majin graphic novel out in English, I wonder how they'll handle the Buu chapter. It's been a while since I've read it, but didn't they do a sort of "NekoMAJIN and MAJIN Buu" play on words?

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:37 pm

Conan the SSJ wrote:Anyone else find it peculiar how Viz doesn't use their official translation "Djinn" and sticks with "Majin"? Aren't they kinda contradicting themselves? According to their own "translating" choices, his name should be "Neko-Djinn". >_>;;
Maybe they changed their minds about things. Kinda like how they called Shikamaru's signature move "Art of Me and My Shadow" in the manga first, now call it, "Shadow Possession Technique".

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:45 pm

Translating these things is by no means an exact process. Like Herms said, there's usually several ways translators can go with a lot of these terms. Often they'll "dare" to get a bit creative, and sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. "Majin Boo" to "Djinn Boo" was probably one of the latter cases, and I wouldn't mind if they "fixed" it (along with a few other things) in the Viz Big rereleases next year.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:21 am

I find it more odd that they are using Wild Words instead of Whizbang as a font. (Although I perfer Wild Words to Whizbang, I'm just so used to seeing that font and Viz releases, that it's stuck in my head.)

So, was this just a one time thing, or are they going to be releasing Graphic Novels?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:40 pm

After comparing those two pages, I've decided I like Julian's translation better than Viz's. I can hear Ms. Nozawa's Goku in Julian's translation while in Viz's it sounds kinda generic.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:59 pm

I think that's kind of the point. Usually when reading comics, American or Japanese, guys often think of a voice on their own instead of picturing the voice of a character in said anime or cartoon. For example I don't hear Kevin Conroy when I read Batman. Not always like that with anime I admit to reading Dark Yugi's dialogue, I often hear Dan Green's Dark Yugi in my head. With manga that appears before an anime stateside too, sometimes what you pictured can be to where some people get disappointed upon hearing the character's animated counterparts voice. For example, a buddy of mine's biggest complaint about both English and Japanese Shaman King was, "Anna doesn't sound like Mandy!"