Interesting Question.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

XxShinGokuxX

Interesting Question.

Post by XxShinGokuxX » Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:36 am

Was DBZ a Gateway to other animes for you or not

I know it was for a lot of my friends. It was and it wasn't for me just got me more interested in anime what about you fellow guys and gals.

Lol i used to watch sailor moon once in a while also transformers before dbz.

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by tablet the eunuch » Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:59 am

Well as it is, Transformers technically doesn't count as Anime. For the following reasons-

-One Asian (specifically Japanese) person is credited in the show.

-It was written, directed, and supervised/produced by hasbro/toei

-It was put into english first, and aired in america before Japan.

-It then went under the knife and a whole bunch of stuff was changed and edited for it's Japanese release.

-It was presented as an american cartoon, about Americanesque robots with Americans fighting would be communist robots.

Just thought I'd mention that

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jan 21, 2004 12:45 pm

I was too young to know that my first anime experience was anime (Samurai Pizza Cats! Whoo!) but I'll still have to say 'no'. "Ronin Warriors" (Samurai Troopers dub to those few wondering) was my first anime-recognized as anime experience. THEN came season one of DB, and 2-3 years later was DBZ. Once DB came out I was renting dubs at my corner store like the Fatal Fury series, Iczelion volume 1, etc. That store just got closed for renting out illegal DVD copies. :cry:
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Gary
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gary » Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:32 pm

For me Dragonball was the thing that pointed me in the direction of anime back in 1995. ^_^
Founder/Owner/Webmaster of [|[url=http://www.junk-anime.com/]Junk-Anime.com[/url]|]

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:41 pm

For me, Dragon Ball was the thing that lead me on to the path of manga and anime, but I don't consider it just a gateway, like so many people. It's still one my top favourites out there, even if it is just for the sheer sake of nostalgia.
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:32 pm

Technically, the first anime I saw was either Voltron or Robotech. I used to watch that stuff when I was really young (I was only born in 1985). I hardly remember Robotech, but Voltron will be vividly ingrained in my head until I go senile. Then in 1998, I fell in love with the Pokemon RPGs for Gameboy, and ended up getting into the anime as well. Around 2000 I started watching Toonami, and that's when I really got into DBZ and Sailor Moon (I'd previously seen both of them in syndication a few times, back around 1996 or 97, but didn't have much interest at the time).

I guess my gateway was just Cartoon Network, and not any particular series, since they play lots of dubbed shows on Toonami and Adult Swim. That's where I see most of my anime, since DVDs are expensive, and I don't like to download episodes.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:40 pm

That's where I see most of my anime, since DVDs are expensive, and I don't like to download episodes.
That's the same situation as me, only I get my anime off YTV and Teletoon. For Canadians the situation's worse since DVD (and VHS) prices are higher because of funky US-Canadian import taxes (which oddly enough hardly seem to affect non-anime videos...).
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Jakez04
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jakez04 » Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:11 pm

For me it was G-Force and Speed Racer that lead to other Animes.
Da Name is Jakez -ROC Baby!
[url=http://www.geocities.com/dragonfistgt]DragonFistGT![/url]

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:04 pm

For me too it was "G-Force" and "Speed Racer". I also watched the 80's "Astroboy". Where I live, I was lucky to be exposed to quite a bit of anime since not only did I get English channels, I got French channels as well. I grew up really exposed to the "anime look" from the French channels. Shows like, "The Green Forest", "The Little Prince", "Alice in Wonderland", "Heidi of the Alps" "Candy Candy", "Belle and Sebastian"(this was one of my all-time favourites as a child), and countless others. Since I saw a lot of different kinds of animation from everywhere, I was more willing as a kid to watch anything animated. I was crazy about "Yellow Submarine" and "The Point". If anyone has also seen Italy's "Mr Rossi", give a shout! So I also rented anime as a kid, I mean just kids anime but still. I loved the "Unico" movies as well as "Sea Prince and Fire Child". And ya, "Samurai Pizza Cats" was another one I loved later on. Ya, the evil world of anime got me real early! :twisted: Mwuhahahahaaa!

SDNess
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SDNess » Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:35 pm

Yes, it was my gateway. Back in 6th grade, I was randomly flipping channels and came upon the DBZ on Toonami during the first run of the Frieza Saga.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:52 pm

DBZ may go down as my favourite anime of all time, but it wasn't my gateway. I'll break down the order:

Astro Boy

Samurai Pizza Cats

Dragonball (First 13 dubbed episodes)

Street Fighter

Ghost in the Shell

DRAGONBALL Z!!! *ahem*

I think their was some more in there, but you get the idea. Now with DBZ and GT ending I'm going to need to find something else to feed my addiction..

SDNess
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SDNess » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:11 pm

And there's plenty more...

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:15 pm

Two more Pizza Cat-ians! Whoo! This calls for the Samurai Pizza Cat Fanclub Salute!

"The Pizza Cats are Samurai
And I'd like to note:
Their antics take your breath away
Like furballs in your throat!
We kittens are a special breed!
We never call retreat!
Whenever Big Cheese knocks us down
We land upon (hya!) our feet!
So hail to thee, oh Pizza Cats!
Please ring your little bell!
For thou you may be pen and ink,
We know you'll fight like PIZZA CATS!!"

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:02 pm

I used to LOVE Pizza Cats... But I barely remember it. Anyway, it was probably the first 13 (It's 13 right?) episodes of DB that got me into anime. However, It wasn't until DBZ that I learned about anime, so I'm gonna say that it was DBZ that made me love anime.

Professor Daravon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Professor Daravon » Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:05 am

DBZ was the first anime I saw that I both liked and knew was anime at the time. I'd seen other anime when I was younger, but at the time didn't know/care that it was any different from any other cartoons. That would be shows like Robotech, Voltron, and whatever else was on TV in the mid/late 80s. The first anime I remember seeing that I knew was anime was Pokemon, which I didn't particularly care for. Saw a single episode of DBZ on Cartoon Network some time later and brushed it off; it didn't really interest me but I didn't hate it either. Then, several months later, I saw the *exact same episode* on again (although considering there were only 53 episodes at the time, I guess that's not as impressive as it would be if it happened now) and actually watched it and enjoyed it. I'm not sure what I particularly liked about it, since it was just the episode where Goku finally reaches Kaiosama's planet...not a particularly great episode. Anyway, at the time, Toonami was doing a DBZ marathon, showing four episodes a day that week. I started watching on Tuesday or Wednesday, watched each subsequent episode that week, and kept watching after that.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:35 am

Dayspring, I can't believe you actually remember that entire stupid Samurai Pizza Cats speech! You're starting to really scare me! Hey you know, we should record a compilation of cheesy anime songs and we could call it "Fromage de Anime!". We could include that speech plus the Samurai Pizza Cats theme song, the French DBZ theme song, we also have to put that terrible English version of the Sailor Moon theme(ya the lyrics in that deserve to win a the Noble Prize for literature!), and we can't forget the Speed Racer song! :D

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:05 am

Dragon Ball in 1995ish was one of my first but not THE first, before that I had found a comicbook of "Project A-KO" by Malibu comics, shortly after I found and rented the movie, that was all before I knew of Dragon Ball/Z

Hell I never knew about DBZ even after I had seen DB (I had assumed DB was an 80s toon at the time), until 1996 DBZ came along, I thought it was a new continuation of the 80s toon at the time (yeah my roots of anime go DEEP into 80s toons), it wasnt until I looked up info online and found DBZ Uncensored that I learned it was in fact an Anime - I knew what anime was LONG before then though. Yeah I was kind of stupid but hey I was uninformed - and I didnt get the net until LATE 1996
-Laserkid

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:42 pm

Well, I've seen a lot of anime before I knew what it was, too. Those were mostly children anime that were dubbed into Dutch. But since most of them weren't dubbed in any other languages, I suppose you wouldn't know them. I was a fervent Samurai Pizza Cats fan, though. *Sighs* Man, I'd really like to see that show again... It's been over ten years.
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:47 pm

I was a fervent Samurai Pizza Cats fan, though. *Sighs* Man, I'd really like to see that show again... It's been over ten years.
Although I've never seen any eps on DVD or VHS, the subbed+dubbed movie often pops up on VHS on ebay (it's like collectors buy it to sell it at a cheaper price :roll: ).

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:43 am

Ahhh, nostalgia....My anime that I loved before I knew what anime was was Voltron. I would watch it over and over on the Beta tape player (which, I believe, STILL works despite being 20 years old). I watched it almost as much as I watched "The Brave Little Toaster" (not an anime, in case no one remembers what the hell it is ^_^).

DBZ wasn't my gateway into anime, Sailormoon was (hence, the screen name I've had for the past six years). I started watching DBZ when it was on during Saturday mornings around 1996 or 97 because I was already becoming an anime fan and I wanted to see more, but it was taken off the air before I really had a chance to get into it. I really became a DBZ fan when I started getting Cartoon Network in 1998 or 99 and I saw they were playing late Freeza saga episodes (I'd seen the endless repeats of mid-Freeza saga episodes on Saturday mornings, and I'd really wondered how everything turned out). Ever since then, DBZ has been at or near the top of my list of favorite anime series (it's currently at the top).
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube