DVDs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SDNess
Not-So-Newbie

DVDs

Post by SDNess » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:10 pm

Do you buy the dubbed DB/DBZ/DBGT DVD's from Funi?
Last edited by SDNess on Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:19 pm

I have their Bardock dvd and movie 4-6 box set dvds on order (new idiot clerk ran out of stock so he took movies from the reserve pile and sold them!). I'm not sure if movies 1-3 are funi at all (they were Pioneer) but I have those. I also have movies 7+8, and intend on getting the Saiyan saga boxes and Trunks one day.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:29 pm

I just started buying them recently, here's what I got so far.

Tree of Might (coming soon)
Coolers Revenge
Return of Cooler
Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan

Trunks Saga (2 discs)
Perfect Cell Saga (4 discs)
Rivals - Babidi Saga
Kid Buu Saga (5 discs)

And with more to come soon! :D

EDIT: Oh yeah, I totally forgot. I have the first 2 discs of GT...but their pretty forgetable anyways.

EDIT 2: OH, I also forgot the Bardock feature, and History of Trunks. Yep, that's it this time...
Last edited by Deus ex Machina on Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:51 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "dubbed DVDs." All of the DVDs since seasons 1 & 2 have been bilingual, Japanese & English (with the exception of DBZ movie 5, which ALSO had the Spanish dub).

And I purchase them :P. Between Meri and I, we've got a shitload. But I want more. Heh.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:59 pm

Interesting note: I've yet to see a DVD with french subs. I know: "Who cares". I'm just making the comment since it's the law in quebec. Muweheh. Take THAT y'PQ frogs! :twisted:

...Nobody has any idea what that joke meant do you? No? Oh well. :?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:07 pm

Dayspring wrote:Interesting note: I've yet to see a DVD with french subs. I know: "Who cares". I'm just making the comment since it's the law in quebec. Muweheh. Take THAT y'PQ frogs! :twisted:

...Nobody has any idea what that joke meant do you? No? Oh well. :?
No offence, but that law drives me crazy. All my new video game slip covers and instruction manuals now come with french, but the games aren't! WTF is the point?

SDNess
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SDNess » Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:19 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "dubbed DVDs." All of the DVDs since seasons 1 & 2 have been bilingual, Japanese & English (with the exception of DBZ movie 5, which ALSO had the Spanish dub).

And I purchase them :P. Between Meri and I, we've got a shitload. But I want more. Heh.
Hmm...didn't know that. That makes me REAL happy. There are unedited versions I assume too, right?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:38 pm

No offence, but that law drives me crazy. All my new video game slip covers and instruction manuals now come with french, but the games aren't! WTF is the point?
None taken. It's a stupid law. If there were a way to make the games bilingual than no prob. But because Taiketsu was originally released w/o the french manual, they were all delayed (illegal to sell w/o one) by like a month. Now imagine how pissed I was when I finally DID play the game! :evil:

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:00 am

Aye but I do so for the subtitled form on those discs I have:

The Ginyu and Freeza Saga DVDs (12 discs total)

the two TV specials (2 discs)

the Trunks/androids/imperfect cell sets (10 DVDs)

Perfect Cell: Perfection

the World Tournament/Bibidi Saga (7 DVDs)

Plus the first 3 DBZ movies, and the third DB movie (4 DVDs)

And lastly two of the DB 2 disc sets (2 DVD boxes, 4 DVDs)

38 DVD "boxes", 40 DVDs total

so yeah...I have them and love them
-Laserkid

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:27 am

SDNess wrote:Hmm...didn't know that. That makes me REAL happy. There are unedited versions I assume too, right?
I have no idea what you're asking. There are ONLY unedited DVDs (with the exceptions of DBZ movies 4-8, which have both edited and unedited releases).

The "DVD Guide" might prove useful to you ^^;;
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:55 am

Dayspring wrote:
Take that you y'PQ frogs!
Well, I certainly get that one Dayspring, and so does Dues. We are fellow Candians after all, did ya forget? :P Anyway, yes I do definitely buy Funimations DVDs. Why wouldn't you? They're the legal copies, I actually heard the sound's better on ours than on the Japanese ones, and you get (in my opinion), some of the best translations ever done for an anime, thanks to Steve Simmons. You're good too though Julian! :D Like VegettoEX and Meri, I have a ton now. I've got pretty much everything released except for the the dub-only first Saiyajin and Namek sagas, the 10th anniversary DB movie, the 8th movie and just the stuff that hasn't been released yet like the rest of the Cell and the DB Red Ribbon saga boxed sets. Man I love how Funimation has released DB! Such nice big value-for-your-money chunks! I also don't have anything of GT but I'm still debating whether or not I will purchase any of it. I can't wait to get the re-releases of the first two sagas of DBZ though. Wow, I can't believe I've actually collected this much now that I'm looking at it. Of course, it also tells me why I'm dirt poor. But at least I'm happy dirt poor! :mrgreen:

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:54 am

Phew, let's see. I've been collecting them for about three years now, and I have all the uncut bilingual DB and DBZ volumes. Counting my preorders, that's 9 DB sets, 2 DB movies, 60 DBZ, 8 DBZ movies. Too much... ;_;

Did anyone besides me actually buy the Garlic Jr DVDs?

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:00 am

I plan to EVENTUALLY get them but they are waiting to be LAST because while it IS bad it IS DBZ - I probably wont get DBGT unless I'm floating in more cash than I know what to do with (maybe I should go work for FUNimation? :P )
-Laserkid

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:16 am

I'm getting the Garlic Jr DVD boxed set ASAP, it's one of my favourites despite all the complaining DBZ purists who think creating another villian was sacrilieage.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:10 am

Not too much.

Dragonball:
"Tournament Saga"
"Red Ribbon Army Saga"
"General Blue Saga"
"Commander Red Saga"

and I've ordered the "King Piccolo Saga part 1" DVD.

DBZ:
"Dead Zone/Tree of Might/World's Strongest" box set
"Bardock - The Father of Goku" (PAL)
"The History of Trunks" (PAL) (this version includes the section "Trunks Moments", consisting of (dub-only) clips of Trunks' battles with Freezer's Henchmen, Freezer, King Kold and Jinzoningen 17 and 18, instead of the History of Dragonball, or whatever it was called, that's on about 10 other DVDs)

and a few dub-only DVDs I bought a long time ago:
"Saga of Goku" box set
"The Saiyans"
"Snake Way"

(I'll buy the bilingual sets of these episodes when they're released)

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:30 pm

My MAIN problem with Garlic Jr is he outright just doesnt fit as he was presented in the first movie at all, and then they try and put these episodes into the story which while they fit what they build OFF of doesnt fit - Unless everyone had massive amnesia after movie 1 and forgot Gohan exhisted for the start of DBZ - and Gohan forgot them all too...cause I think Krillin would have remembered being peed on...
-Laserkid

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:42 pm

I have movies 1-13 on Uncut Dutch/Japanese DVD's, but aside from that, nada... They don't sell them FUNi DVD's over here in the Nether Lands. I am actually saving for the infamous 'Dragon Box Set'. Yes, you heard me. Soon, I'll have enough money to buy the first set, and I'll still have spent less than any of you have! Bwahaha!!!
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

SDNess
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SDNess » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:13 am

VegettoEX wrote:
SDNess wrote:Hmm...didn't know that. That makes me REAL happy. There are unedited versions I assume too, right?
I have no idea what you're asking. There are ONLY unedited DVDs (with the exceptions of DBZ movies 4-8, which have both edited and unedited releases).

The "DVD Guide" might prove useful to you ^^;;
And it proved to be very useful. :-P

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:24 am

Let's see what I've got....

Dragonball: Only movies 3 and 4

Dragonball Z: Every disc from the Ginyu discs up to the first Cell games disc, in addition to the two TV specials and movies 1-8

Drgaonball GT: All 10 discs that have been put out so far (looks like I'm the only person on the board so far that's been collecting them ^_^;;)

Comes to a total of 52 discs....damn, I've spent a lot of money on this series (especially if you add in the cost of all the manga, Daizenshuu, and miscellaneous action figures I've got....I think I've spent more money on Dragonball than anything else in my life ^_^;;
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:37 am

I have a question for anyone who has purchased the Tree of Might on DVD. Mine just arrived today, but something about it doesn't look right. The cover of the disc is completly colorless, with clear (kinda blurry actually) 'outlines' of Turles and Goku. It still plays fine, but could it be a defect?