The Community.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:50 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:What happens in a Forum like this, is everyone has the same opinion basically. That the Japanese version is better and that the Dragon Boxes are better.
...Since when?

A huge chunk of the forum population frequently complains about Nozawa being too high-pitched, and the Dragon Boxes being too expensive and lacking subtitles.
-Rachel

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:46 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:Lets see you step into a Forum where everyone has an opposite opinion from you.
Oh puh-leeeze..

What exactly are you painting yourself as now?, the crusader against conformity on this forum?, a lone flame of reason burning brightly in a dark world of insanity?, for goodness' sake, stop acting so hard done by.

Plenty of people here like the season sets, and plenty of people enjoy the dub, you're not alone, so stop pretending to be.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:56 am

Exactly. I'm all for the Season Sets, but you don't see me bashing either them or the Dragon Boxes. Both are excellent choices, but lets be honest here - just about anyone with any sense, if they could have Dragon Box footage instead of Season Set footage, would get it if they had enough money.

Which set is a better deal is indeed a matter of opinion, based almost solely on how much money one has. Which set has better footage isn't really debatable - it's more of a fact. :P
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Victator Supreme
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Victator Supreme » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:22 am

SonEric84 wrote:It's more than just opinion when a product is clearly flawed. It's fact that there is mising footage, it's fact that lines randomly disappear, it's fact that some of the Japanese BGM is missing. If anyone says they "don't notice" they're definitely ignoring it or really just don't pay attention. I noticed it without even going into it looking for flaws.
I watched the season set with six people the other night. No one noticed anything wrong with the picture. In fact two of them said it was an improvement.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:25 am

Kendamu wrote: Sure, I'm also a "Fuck FUNi's DB/Z stuff" kind of person, but I do agree that the constant need to bitch about FUNimation isn't bringing anything new to the table at the moment.
Hey, wouldn't that be considered "getting laid"? Congrats Kendamu! You are no longer a nerdy emo goth kid! :P
Captain Awesome wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:Lets see you step into a Forum where everyone has an opposite opinion from you.
Oh puh-leeeze..

What exactly are you painting yourself as now?, the crusader against conformity on this forum?, a lone flame of reason burning brightly in a dark world of insanity?, for goodness' sake, stop acting so hard done by.

Plenty of people here like the season sets, and plenty of people enjoy the dub, you're not alone, so stop pretending to be.
Oh but Captain Awesome didn't you know? Rachel and I were just discussing this last night. Acting like you don't really care all that much about the show and lecturing others for using a DB forum the way it's meant to be used is the newest trend in being "cool".
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:21 am

Victator Supreme wrote:
SonEric84 wrote:It's more than just opinion when a product is clearly flawed. It's fact that there is mising footage, it's fact that lines randomly disappear, it's fact that some of the Japanese BGM is missing. If anyone says they "don't notice" they're definitely ignoring it or really just don't pay attention. I noticed it without even going into it looking for flaws.
I watched the season set with six people the other night. No one noticed anything wrong with the picture. In fact two of them said it was an improvement.

Does that make the flaws any less of a reality? I will admit that not all of it is so blatant and in your face, but it's still pretty noticable. Besides, I was just saying that it's not an opinion that said flaws exist.
Trans rights, now!

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:35 am

Jerseymilk wrote:
Kendamu wrote: Sure, I'm also a "Fuck FUNi's DB/Z stuff" kind of person, but I do agree that the constant need to bitch about FUNimation isn't bringing anything new to the table at the moment.
Hey, wouldn't that be considered "getting laid"? Congrats Kendamu! You are no longer a nerdy emo goth kid! :P
Wowzers! Getting laid is fun! :P
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Daimao
Mr. Subtitles

Post by Daimao » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:52 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote: Funny fact: That's not me in my avatar. It's a random guy in what I thought was a terribly funny Piccolo cosplay. I think it's funny when people think that having something as your avatar means it must be you. Look at Daimao's avatar as of example of how this is faulty reasoning.
Remember when this was my avatar, and it came up different every time? (Go ahead, click it again) For some reason, phpBB doesn't allow that anymore. And all of those pictures are of Steve Simmons. Just not me. 8)

(And for those of you reading an archive of this years later, my current avatar is Chunk doing the truffle shuffle)

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:09 pm

Daimao wrote:Remember when this was my avatar, and it came up different every time? (Go ahead, click it again) For some reason, phpBB doesn't allow that anymore. And all of those pictures are of Steve Simmons. Just not me. 8)

(And for those of you reading an archive of this years later, my current avatar is Chunk doing the truffle shuffle)
That's the exact avatar I was thinking of when I wrote that post ;)

-Corey

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:49 pm

Alright, so here's my final say on this subject:

I genuinely hate the DragonBall community. Most people harbor this delusion that caring enough to join a forum dedicated to the show and then state that they don't give a damn is cool. It's not, it just makes you an ass.

Look, I love the show. It's a favorite. In terms of my actual interests though, it's relatively small. I bought the DragonBoxes in part to satisfy to interest, so I would have the entire series for whenever I wanted to watch it. I tried FUNimation's way, even tried to "rally the troops" a few times to get better treatment, but this whole "I'm too damned cool to care about a kid's cartoon (btw, happy 300,000th post to me)" mentality has been around since Planet Namek.

Do I hate FUNimation? Nah, not really. They're a subpar company that does pretty packaging, dubs that range from horrible to great and video encodes that look like they're just starting out. Only, they've been at it for almost a decade.

Do I hate the fanbase? A bit. They admittedly annoy the piss out of me. Right now, the fanbase is split between those who think FUNimation's actions are fucking awesome because they make the show "new and cinematic" (read: I don't know half the words they're using, so I'll just repeat them to sound intelligent) and those who are just resigned to getting the show however they can. I feel for the latter, since I would probably be in their camp had I not said "fuck it" and imported.

I, meanwhile, come on here occasionally to try and stir up interest but get scorned by some who believe I'm attacking them. Here's a funny fact: Most people only get defensive when they feel something applies to them. I call people who defend the sets idiots, so they rush to say they're not idiots...then defend the sets :P

Yeah, I think you should all have stuck to your guns, but it's not the first time I've seen people fold. I don't hate anyone or anything, I just think the whole thing is silly. Seeing people rush to defend these sets with such passion went from being a massive headache to being the funniest thing I've seen in awhile. Honestly, half of you people have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

I've made friends here, and I've enjoyed it, but really it's worn thin. As I told Mike, the place has become infested more and more with complete idiots. And why is this? Because FUNimation is marketing their set to... *drumroll*...idiots. Before people rush to hang me, does this mean that all people who bought the sets are idiots? No, but then again I'm sure Snoop wasn't marketing to rich, white, 12 year old suburbanites when he started.

Anyway, to conclude, this whole fiasco has kinda soured me on the DragonBall community. Love the show, hate a lot of people who talk about it online. A lot of you are cool, but a few people have ruined it for me. I'm through trying to argue because, in all honesty, the people who would make the difference are too fucking stupid. It's the sad truth of many problems.

Well, that's the end of my rambling for now. This isn't some over-dramatic "I'm leaving" post, just venting.

-Corey

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:02 am

Don't take this as sucking up MajinVejitaXV, but you may have just made the best post regarding DBZ fans (Anime fans for a whole really) I've ever seen.

As I've said many a times, I continue to buy the sets because that's all my wallet can handle so it'll have to do for now. But I'm not gonna go around saying their the greatest thing to ever come out of the fandom, cuz that's F-ing blasphemy. I'm not defending myself for buying them, cuz all I've done by doing so is support them in continuing to do it, but I wanted the show and had no other affordable (and legal) choice.

I'm not the most knowledgable guy in the fandom - Damn, compared to half the people on this board (well, half of who USED to be on the board), I know NOTHING! But this is getting ridiculous, this is why DBZ fans are scorned by other anime fandoms cuz we overreact to every GODDAMN thing! Wake up people, buying either option doesn't make you any less of a fan, but get your facts straight as MajinVejitaXV said. That's why DaizEx exists, so you CAN get your facts straight. Why the hell release preferences should split the fandom in half is beyond me, but whatever. Whatever makes people happy. :?
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:45 am

As I said earlier, I feel for Corey in this situation and I think it goes back to that all of the Dragonball releases (DB, Z, and GT) have never been released in some sort of consistent pattern ever. There's always some bullshittery or catch involved like skipping the first arc of GT and releasing it nearly a year after the entire thing's was over, not being able to own the first 13 episodes of DB uncut in Japanese or English without importing or living in Australia, never being able to own DB movie one uncut in English or Japanese unless you import the entire Dragonbox the movies set (not really Funi's fault btw), and the ass backward release of the DBZ single discs where the Other World Budokai was released after the entire Buu saga was over for example with discs that only had 3-4 episodes and no real redeeming value to them only in the end to never finish releasing them after 6 years and then start over and release a product that nobody demanded in the first place with remastering that hurts more than helps and in an incorrect aspect ratio to boot.

I'm actually surprised that people actually put up with the shit that Funimation does to Dragonball especially since this is the same company that releases everything else they own from beginning to end in a consistent, normal manner without bullshit coming your way and actually treats it's products like it's worth something. I would never ever see Funimation doing what they're doing to Dragonball/Z/GT to FMA or YYH, especially since they released those two series and released them again in a consistent manner and in 4:3 to add to that. But then again it goes to show you that if Funimation can cancel the single disc DBZ releases in favor to make some flux widescreen dvds where the only incentives are that they're cheap, they have a a lot of episodes and that the dub has the original bgm (which shouldn't matter it's way to late for that), release Dragonball once and then let it fall OOP in R1 land, and make a dub that almost gets it right to being just plain bad and insulting and people are still cool with that and still act like Funimation is the greatest gift that God has ever sent to them, then it goes to show you what type of person Funimation's really trying to cater to. (Hint: it's not a smart person)
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:06 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:But this is getting ridiculous, this is why DBZ fans are scorned by other anime fandoms cuz we overreact to every GODDAMN thing!
Well I wouldn't feel so bad. In actuality, that characteristic applies to ALL of the anime fan community. :wink:
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:09 pm

A lot of people take what you say as a personal shot. If I say that I like FUNimation's version, people think I'm telling them what to think or automatically saying that the Japanese version sucks and suddenly everyone gets all defensive as if they were the ones who created the show. Some people need to just lighten up.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:49 pm

FFS, I never said I was too cool for a cartoon. I watch plenty of cartoons, most of them are American but I watch two or three animes. I agree with Corey on one point: I don't like most of the fans. But, the kind I hate aren't the "idiots" that you so delicately put it, it's the people who bitch about nothing.

Why don't you bitch to FUNimation and leave the people who buy the set out of it? It makes me an idiot because I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a fucking TV show? GTFO. I admit the remastering is pretty bad, but it isn't as horrible as people like you seem to think. Hell, even some "idiots" love it.

If it makes some people happy to buy a reasonably priced, subpar DVD set, is it the end of the world? No, it's NOT A BIG DEAL. Some people hate it, and that's fine, just don't call people who have different opinions than yours idiots.

Corey, you might be a smart person but ffs, go cry about it alone.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:58 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:
Gyt Kaliba wrote:But this is getting ridiculous, this is why DBZ fans are scorned by other anime fandoms cuz we overreact to every GODDAMN thing!
Well I wouldn't feel so bad. In actuality, that characteristic applies to ALL of the anime fan community. :wink:
True, but the people who are only interested in like one anime are the worst. I prefer talking to well-rounded people. Now, we may only TALK about one anime, but both of us knowing the other has seen such-and-such another show makes it a little easier not to get pissed off, somehow.

And besides, there's no denying that DBZ fans are some of the worst in that aspect, right above or below Naruto fans, Bleach fans, and One Piece fans.
Twitter

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:12 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: And besides, there's no denying that DBZ fans are some of the worst in that aspect, right above or below Naruto fans, Bleach fans, and One Piece fans.
The YuYuHakusho fans are pretty nice from what I've seen, they're content with their "only 106-ish" episodes.

However...be careful of those Lucky Star fans...they're something else.. :shock:

But on a serious note, I'm a member at all kinds of forums for anime, and each anime has it's "extremists" fans. At the Naruto sites, you'll always find people saying the dub sucks(Even though its much better than most) and they'll probably base this off of "believe it", even though the dub hasn't said that in over 50 episodes, and the Japanese version says "dattebayo" even more. You find One Piece fans comlaining about the 4kids dub...well, actually, they have a right too, that dub is horrible.

The truth is, no matter where you go, there will always be people who complain. :wink:
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:19 pm

LOL, trouble is finding Yu Yu Hakusho fans, it's a forgotten relic from what I've seen. ^_^

Yeah, I see flame wars all the time on AnimeNations forums over Lucky Star. Ain't seen it, so I'm staying clear of the flames and getting the smores ready.

The One Piece fans have greatly calmed down now that FUNi has it though. They mainly complain about 4Kids getting it in the first place, which they have every right too.

Oh lord if 4Kids had gotten DBZ...the horror...the horror! :shock:
Twitter

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:21 pm

lol The DCAU fans are nice actually. For those that don't know DCAU, it's the Batman/Superman/Batman Beyond/Justice League animated series fans. See, it's a toss up between the DCAU and DB/Z/GT for me. I'm not an Anime fan at all really. I could only stand a few.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:13 pm

The One Piece fans have greatly calmed down now that FUNi has it though. They mainly complain about 4Kids getting it in the first place, which they have every right too.
But the Funi dub still has a lot of edits that have never been present in Naruto, which has an earlier timeslot. I've wondered why VIZ is allowed to have minimal editing like they do, but FUNi has to have a lot more editing, even though they have a 10:00 slot. I'm not complaining, because the FUNi dub is still really good, and I'll just get the boxsets in spring.
Oh lord if 4Kids had gotten DBZ...the horror...the horror! :shock:
Don't ever even hint at that ever again.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog