FUNimation Dub Misleading/Wrong "Facts"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:54 am

I haven't watched that movie in Japanese yet, (lazy and haven't gotten around to it), but was it that big a deal? It was still a whistle tune.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:57 am

Meh, since it was like, the last thing to come out, and it had a huge amount of online notoriety (SP?), it's one of those "They just felt like slapping us in the face one last time" kind of things.
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:05 am

caejones wrote:Meh, since it was like, the last thing to come out, and it had a huge amount of online notoriety (SP?), it's one of those "They just felt like slapping us in the face one last time" kind of things.
I really can't see any reason a company who will never be liked by the stuffed-shirt fans who created that 'online notoriety' no matter what they do would want to give them the finger one last time.

:roll:

SuperVegito17
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperVegito17 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:31 am

tapion's flute tune in funi-dub was ok, i guess. But, changing the weakness of Hirudegarn is ridiculous. We saw in the fight, that gohan, vegeta, etc just when they went to attack him, Hirudegarn would disppear into dust, as if he is a hologram or sth, but his punches still hit hard.
my latest Music Video -> http://stage6.divx.com/user/SuperVegito17/blog/

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:41 am

Super Sonic wrote:I haven't watched that movie in Japanese yet, (lazy and haven't gotten around to it), but was it that big a deal? It was still a whistle tune.
Because it was a really cool theme that didn't need to be altered.

Not really a big deal to me, though, as I've never seen the movie in English and never plan on doing so.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:42 am

Kendamu wrote:Not really a big deal to me, though, as I've never seen the movie in English and never plan on doing so.
Seconded. Japanese Hildegarn for me.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:14 pm

How do you even pronounce Hildegran's dub name? Because I was playing BT2 a while ago and then I saw 'Hirudengran' for the character name and I was like :shock:?!. How do you mess that up?

Oh yeah the flute theme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13igAcC3bg
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:05 pm

I recently saw the Bardock-special in japanese, and seeing how I had seen it dubbed before, I couldn't help but notice how different the feel of that special was in japanese. The dub constantly made the Saiyans seem far too kind. (Like how at the end, when Bardock "talks" to Goku after his death, in the dub, he was talking about how proud he was of Goku and how he wished he'd actually spent some time with him, whereas in the japanese version he simply said "Kakarrot, carry out my will. You will avenge the Saiyans!")
Not that the dub changing the script is anything new, but it was just such a huge difference in this one that I just had to mention it.

And to Vekurotto: I believe FUNi pronounced it as "Hi-Roo-da-gaan" or something like that. And I believe Hirudegarn is actually an acceptable way to spell his name, though Hildegarn is much easier to say.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:08 pm

Yeah, that was back when they had that problem of softening things. Too bad they didn't do like they did in YYH, where sometimes they made things more kinky so to speak.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:27 pm

Hirudagarn is legal... then they pronounce it "Hiruuuuuuuuuudagaarn!!!"
On the topic of movie13... No hint that Bulma was building a time machine at the end, "swords from god" was just "enchanted". And... well... "tayp-ee-ahn".
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:18 pm

On, the flute theme, I just liked it a lot, and I hated that they altered a great song that could have been kept on.
Vekurotto wrote:How do you even pronounce Hildegran's dub name? Because I was playing BT2 a while ago and then I saw 'Hirudengran' for the character name and I was like :shock:?!. How do you mess that up?
Hirudegarn is actually, the "technical" way of pronouncing it.
In Japanese it is written "Hi-ru-de-gan" So they are just putting the sound of the Japanese into English writing, basically.

(Or maybe, they saw "Hildegarn" in the fansubs, and said "Hey, long times fans are familiar with this, so lets change it up!")
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:16 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Kendamu wrote:Not really a big deal to me, though, as I've never seen the movie in English and never plan on doing so.
Seconded. Japanese Hildegarn for me.
Thirded, especially since that theme kicks major ass. I've always wanted to compose some sort of arrangement for it for some instrument. Maybe piano, or organ (my main instrument).

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:09 am

caejones wrote:Hirudagarn is legal... then they pronounce it "Hiruuuuuuuuuudagaarn!!!"
On the topic of movie13... No hint that Bulma was building a time machine at the end, "swords from god" was just "enchanted". And... well... "tayp-ee-ahn".
So his name was pronounced different ehh? Well, saw his name before and pronounced it as such, so could see how the mistake was made. Did think Syaoron did ok as his voice though.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:36 pm

There's actually one case where the dub is more accurate to the manga than the Japanese version. When Trunks dies, in the dub and the manga, Vegeta is pissed because Trunks got killed, but in the Japanese anime, he's mad because he should've been the one to kill Cell.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:57 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:There's actually one case where the dub is more accurate to the manga than the Japanese version. When Trunks dies, in the dub and the manga, Vegeta is pissed because Trunks got killed, but in the Japanese anime, he's mad because he should've been the one to kill Cell.
Was this the Viz translation, young man?!

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:35 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:There's actually one case where the dub is more accurate to the manga than the Japanese version. When Trunks dies, in the dub and the manga, Vegeta is pissed because Trunks got killed, but in the Japanese anime, he's mad because he should've been the one to kill Cell.
Was this the Viz translation, young man?!
Haven't watched the episodes in years, but read that in SJ magazine today, and his reaction is just saying Trunks' name and rushing Cell. It was similar in the Budokai 1 storymode.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:15 pm

For those who are wondering what went on in the manga version in Japanese, Vegeta did attack Cell because of Trunks being killed and not for any other reason.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b281/ ... 35_083.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b281/ ... 35_084.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b281/ ... 35_085.jpg

Page 83: Vegeta looks over at his dead son.
Page 84: Vegeta says "T... Trunks..." "Shit!!!!"
Page 85: Vegeta says "Haaaaaaa!!!"

So, Viz isn't all evil. In the American release:

Page 83: Vegeta looks over at his dead son.
Page 84: Vegeta says "T... Trunks..." "Arrrhh!!!!"
Page 85: Vegeta says "Hyaah!!!"

"OH NOES BUHJEETAH DI'DNT SAY SHIT!!111"
(they/she)

TriforceCaptre
Beyond Newbie

Post by TriforceCaptre » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:12 am

One that really caught my eye/ear was a scene in the Saiyan arc where Kami is telling Mr. Popo about how Piccolo has changed. He pretty much says that he knows he's no longer pure evil (or something like that) because Raditz and Goku's spirit moved on to the after life after he killed them with the makankosappo(sp?) but before when he killed people their spirit did not pass on.

I thought that was a very cool detail and was shocked when I saw it was left out of the dub (well, not shocked, just unpleasantly surprised).
"There's ten thousand reasons to survive, but you only needed one to die." -CKY-

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:48 am

Was that left out of the dub?

Does that include the season set dub? I could've sworn that I've heard that in English before.

Maybe I read it in the Viz manga or something.
(they/she)

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:12 am

Kendamu wrote:
"OH NOES BUHJEETAH DI'DNT SAY SHIT!!111"
That could also be darn, crap, something else for people who don't like coarse language :O

I wonder how AnimeLabs would translate that...

...I'd get banned if I repeated it here probablyI'm obviously over-reacting a little bit.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog