Goku vs Freeza: Live action fan movie

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:20 am

Victator Supreme wrote:ow can I be more clear? It would take a bunch of special effects to make something like a super saiyan look good. Filming the Goku vs Freeza fight would be next to impossible. How does this need explaining?
By being more specific. Why would it be difficult? How would it need to be done, that only a 'massive' budget could produce?

And for both of those examples: Super Saiyan is actually really simple, but time consuming - something that dedicated workers are good at. Take a look at some Star Wars fan films, making a lightsabre effect is easy, but you have to do it by hand, frame by frame. SSj hair would just need to be a wig or highly moused hair and some extra post-production. Contacts for the eyes. And the aura would be even easier than making lightsabres.

And the Freeza fight is just a fight could be re-shot cut by cut without much trouble at all. I can't see anything there that couldn't be reproduced.

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:40 pm

Oh wow, that was bad....really bad. But hey, this and the other videos there were probably the funniest things I've seen in a while. I'd rather see two hours of that than a High School Goku Image
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:51 pm

I don't see why people think a good live action dragonball movie can't be made, I mean seriously, the Chinese dragonball movie, with better acting/actors, some better writing, and modern special effects could have been excellent.

I will defend the Chinese movie forever, because I have seen movies that were far, far worse, so I know that it isn't that bad in the grand scheme of things. I suggest you all pick up a copy of MANOS: The Hands of Fate. After watching that, all will be put into perspective.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:03 pm

omegacwa wrote:I suggest you all pick up a copy of MANOS: The Hands of Fate.
"Manos." "The hands of fate?" :D

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:06 pm

Good reference :wink:

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:15 pm

omegacwa wrote:Good reference :wink:
Season 4, episode 24 - with the 'Hired!' short preceding it.

I know my stuff. 8)

So, anyway. DragonBall...

Shin Moonwalker
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Shin Moonwalker » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:27 am

After the Goku/freeza live fight, here is the N°17/18 VS Great Saiyaman.
And it looks really good. ;)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4e1lc ... shortfilms

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:37 am

Shin Moonwalker wrote:After the Goku/freeza live fight, here is the N°17/18 VS Great Saiyaman.
That's actually pretty awesome.

Freeza93
Beyond Newbie

Post by Freeza93 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:12 pm

Shin Moonwalker wrote:After the Goku/freeza live fight, here is the N°17/18 VS Great Saiyaman.

I thought that was better than the Goku/freeza fight. Apart from the ending. The ending to the Goku/Freeza fight was better
I finally bought a gamecube. To bad they don't make any games for it now.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:15 pm

Now THAT was badass! So much better then the Goku VS. Freeza fight.
Jesus christ that was awesome.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:47 pm

I think one of their strengths here was that the people who made this video didn't try to use characters that were difficult to make costumes and do hair for. Great Saiyaman has a bandanna on and the Artificial Humans have normal looks. Even the lack of Asian actor can be overlooked due to the general spirit, sound effects, and music of Dragonball being translated into this.

However, they didn't seem as ambitious about mid-air combat as Goku vs. Freeza. This is a strength as they had less to screw up. This is also a weakness as it just looks weird seeing them on the ground nearly the whole time.

So, while the Saiyaman/Artificial Human fight ended up looking better overall, I think it's due to some wisely-chosen shortcuts (hair, less airborne combat, etc.) and I still have to give Goku vs. Freeza props for being a bit more ambitious.

Also, something about how the Artificial Humans were moving their arms in the final Ki Blast scene to finish off Saiyaman just seemed.. weak. I think some speed-effects on the arms like when 17 and Saiyaman were fighting toward the beginning would've easily fixed this.

Overall, the good points of both videos goes to show that you don't need a multi-million dollar budget to make Dragonball look good and have the feel of the anime in live-action. However, it certainly would help and it really gives FOX no excuses to put out a decent Dragonball movie... especially since considering the story they're adapting there shouldn't be much airborne combat to begin with.

Hopefully they'll get it right this summer.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:16 pm

Wow, now THAT (Saiyaman VS the androids) is how we want a live action Dragonball to look :o Well okay, the costumes need work so they look at least not sown together with weak fabrics, however, the effects and the story boarding and just the directing of the shots was amazing :o I love the teleportation effect and the super fast punch combo thing and the energy blasts tho it could be a little more cinematic. But if the live action movie is gonna be this or better... then WOW. Was this non-profit btw?

Shin Moonwalker
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Shin Moonwalker » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:40 pm

worldmonsters wrote:Was this non-profit btw?
Totally.
Kendamu wrote:So, while the Saiyaman/Artificial Human fight ended up looking better overall, I think it's due to some wisely-chosen shortcuts (hair, less airborne combat, etc.) and I still have to give Goku vs. Freeza props for being a bit more ambitious.
You're completely right here ;)
Apart from the ending. The ending to the Goku/Freeza fight was better
These are only clips from an upcoming movie (which is a parody, by the way... :o) that should be released soon.
I can't wait ;)

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:04 pm

Wow, non-profit... I am SO curious to see what the dragonball movie is gonna be like with a huge budget as opposed to this no budget at all film :p

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:32 pm

Thats the best attempt at a live action Kamehameha I've ever seen.

That fight was rather awesome (Saiyaman/Artificial Humans)

tarrin4ever

Post by tarrin4ever » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:49 pm

Hoo lee crap, now that was incredible!

Snail

Post by Snail » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:51 pm

And the bad guys win again. :shock: Awesome work though.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:22 am

Speaking of live-action movies, can you believe Dragonball is 70% done filming as of last week?

They're really moving along fast. Hopefully we can see some sort of teaser or some official production stills soon. I may not have high hopes, but I'm still curious.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:46 am

That last video was pretty epic-cool.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:04 am

That Saiyaman battle was amazing! Very cool stuff. :3

70% finished already you say? :shock:
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter