Accents in the dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Accents in the dub

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:57 pm

You guys know how there were accents done for many characters in the dub, any favorites or least favorites? Myself, I liked the accents that many of the Red Ribbon officers had. Made them stand out.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:05 pm

Zarbon had a good aussie accent in the Season 2 Ocean dub.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:35 pm

Goku should've had a Southern drawl.

E: Reading comprehension! I like Jeice's accent.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:33 pm

Castor Troy wrote:Zarbon had a good aussie accent in the Season 2 Ocean dub.
Speaking as an Australian, no he didn't, It was just the typical take on the woefully incorrect stereotypical accent you guys seem to have assigned to us, which is probably because the people that do these "accents" get it from listening to other impersonators instead of actual Australians.

GotenZ1
Patreon Supporter

Post by GotenZ1 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:25 am

This may not be exaclty what this topic is about, but I really hated how FUNi gave crazy cartoony voices to stock characters. Most of them had Texas accents (no doubt because FUNi is based out of Ft. Worth Texas) and they were just horrible. And I'm from Texas! I was pleasantly surprised to hear these stock characters re-dubbed in the season set releases. Thank GOD!
My short animated film (has some violence): http://youtu.be/ovT8mbYE85E

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:59 am

I've always kind of liked Jeice's Australian accent.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:01 am

Jeice's brummie accent from the Ocean cast.
Sauza's French accent.

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:57 am

Zarbond definitely had a British accent. Jeice's accent when he was played by Scott McNiel was done more like he was from Liverpool, but Chris Sabat -attempted- making him into an Australian.

Casual Matt
Advanced Regular

Post by Casual Matt » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:07 am

Kula wrote:Jeice's brummie accent from the Ocean cast.
Sauza's French accent.
I couldn't understand a damned thing dub Sauza said.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:04 pm

Chris Sabat made Zarbon sound like a gay Australian maybe. I never liked Sabat's voicing of Zarbon. He sounded like he was going to get on his knees at any second.

Speaking of which, I hated King Cold's dub voice too. I mean Frieza was played by a female (has a weird homosexual lisp thing in the Japanese version), but King Cold was horrible. He sounded like a homosexual child molester.

Anyway, an accent that I liked was South Kai's (the tall one, I think it's South). He had a nice southern thing going on lol And East Kai (the lady), also had that.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:24 pm

Okay some of the accents were justified but a lot of them were just too fake and too stereotypical for the characters, kinda like what Captain Awesome said about Jeice's Australian accent. It was one of those things that would've been better if there weren't any accents at all.

I don't know about anybody else but I got pissed at Namu's Indian accent, and I'm not even Indian. It was like "Hey you wanna know what pisses people of Indian ethnicity off? Me and the Funi ADR directors!". And it's a shame too because his voice in Japanese makes him sound like a man of honor and valor rather than the dub's portrayal as a walking Indian guy. And then there's some of the Black characters like Killa in at the 25th Budokai. I got pissed at his dub voice too since all they make him do is to the stereotypical "black people talk" oh I'm sorry, "what people in the 1860's American South thought black people sounded like", that's better. Anything about him was pretty much devalued into another walking stereotype. I'm surprised he was never used by Civil Rights groups but Jinx and Mr. Popo are :P. It especially pisses me off too because in Japanese, he talks like everybody else without added anything. And I wonder why people think Dragonball is racist :roll:?
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:10 pm

I found the Red Ribbon accents to be racist and annoying.

Red hair = Irish/Scottish/some attempt at either or both? And the big beefy guy that lives in the snowy area given a Russian accent? The ninja given a Japanese accent? Come on. Some of the others people have mentioned, like Namu, are pretty bad, too.

It would be one thing if the dub actors saved their comedy voices for one line characters, like Gohan's teacher who sounded like a Jimmy Stewart impersonator. But things like these just ruined potentially good acting, and probably offended people just within the US. And the US is a lot more ethnically diverse than Japan, which used normal voices for all of those characters. That's pretty telling.
-Rachel

Saiyavenger2941
Advanced Regular

Post by Saiyavenger2941 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:27 pm

The English teacher with the French accent from the Saiyaman Saga.

Nuff said.
[color=#30966E][b]PROUDLY Straight-Edge. Arrogant. Gohan and Videl obsessed. BE JEALOUS![/b][/color]
---
[url=http://bit.ly/F3l7t]DA[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/2FC03o]FFNet[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pE5Xs]Youtube[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/lCOED]Facebook[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/rWFtp]Livejournal[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/zrd4v]Twitter[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pYRHD]Flickr[/url]|PSN: Saiyavenger

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:28 pm

Vekurotto wrote:Okay some of the accents were justified but a lot of them were just too fake and too stereotypical for the characters, kinda like what Captain Awesome said about Jeice's Australian accent. It was one of those things that would've been better if there weren't any accents at all.

I don't know about anybody else but I got pissed at Namu's Indian accent, and I'm not even Indian. It was like "Hey you wanna know what pisses people of Indian ethnicity off? Me and the Funi ADR directors!". And it's a shame too because his voice in Japanese makes him sound like a man of honor and valor rather than the dub's portrayal as a walking Indian guy. And then there's some of the Black characters like Killa in at the 25th Budokai. I got pissed at his dub voice too since all they make him do is to the stereotypical "black people talk" oh I'm sorry, "what people in the 1860's American South thought black people sounded like", that's better. Anything about him was pretty much devalued into another walking stereotype. I'm surprised he was never used by Civil Rights groups but Jinx and Mr. Popo are :P. It especially pisses me off too because in Japanese, he talks like everybody else without added anything. And I wonder why people think Dragonball is racist :roll:?

That was HORRIBLE. And to be honest, I couldn't understand a damn thing he said. I don't really care for any of the accents.
Trans rights, now!

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:41 am

Me and my best friend hated Killa's voice too. Assistant Black and Uub didn't sound weird at all.
King Cold was horrible. He sounded like a homosexual child molester.
I thought he sounded more like Him kind of. I lso will admit, I'm a fan of evil British accents.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:59 pm

It wasn't just an evil British accent. It had this...very gay feel to it. "Mmmm remarkable craftsmanship mmm."

Mike D
Regular

Post by Mike D » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:47 pm

SonEric84 wrote:
Vekurotto wrote:And then there's some of the Black characters like Killa in at the 25th Budokai. I got pissed at his dub voice too since all they make him do is to the stereotypical "black people talk"

That was HORRIBLE. And to be honest, I couldn't understand a damn thing he said. I don't really care for any of the accents.
:lol: Why did somebody have to bring that up? I'm black and me and a bunch of other black guys thought that his voice was just so down right ignorant that it was funny. It's a shame that he was given such a black sambo voice, but when you see companies do ignorant things like that you gotta say:

"Damn, these people are fucking stupid."

I guess since he was such a short lived character that they thought they could get away with it.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:57 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:It wasn't just an evil British accent. It had this...very gay feel to it. "Mmmm remarkable craftsmanship mmm."
Oooh, Trunks' sword is HUGE!

His race looks like it wears lipstick, I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking that.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:12 am

" Time to put some pain on the barby! "
Did anyone else cringe when Jeice said that?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:35 pm

I've cringed plenty of times. Goku saying, "Sir Isaac Newton wouldn't live to tell about it if he got hit with one of those things" (Ocean dub, "End of Snake Way", reaction to Bubbles throwing the fruit down from the tree and it going through the ground). I'm curious, does Vegeta have an accent? He has some sort of accent in the series, but it's not exactly cultural.