The biggest Ocean dub crime?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Azure
Beyond Newbie

Post by Azure » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:38 pm

I think it's a crime there's no Brad Swaile Saiyaman rap CD ;/
Also I think the whole Bleeper thing was only in the original FUNi released Ocean group Dragon Ball dub. Oh, and in the new Bluewater dub they use original music and Korin talks like Yoda.
:D ( but it does sound like they only have about 5 actors)
Biggest Ocean crime? Changing to Bluewater just wasn't the same.
www.voiceacting.co.uk / www.shonen.co.uk

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:52 pm

I want to hear more of the blue water dub; their DBGT wasn't royally screwed. And it seems from what I heard that the Dragon ball dub had a decent, not-FUNi script (they called him SON Goku! Yes!)
Not the best quality, but: http://youtube.com/watch?v=9EhRwJycX5o < -- part 1 of episode 1 DB. No "totally radical" entrance for Bulma!
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:28 am

Was thinking of other atrocious crimes FUNi has committed (not that it's hard to compile a list, a la, this thread) but I got another one. Making an "ENGLISH LANGUAGE WITH ORIGINAL JAPANESE AUDIO" setting that not only lacks vocal insert songs, but also completely lacks the original opening to the series. I was super pumped cuz I thought that I might be actually able to stand the dub now, but the first 2 seconds shattered that hope.

Good job, FUNi
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:38 am

Haseowolf wrote:I was super pumped cuz I thought that I might be actually able to stand the dub now, but the first 2 seconds shattered that hope.
Bull. You'd be on here whining about how the dub defiles the holy purity of the Japanese audio in that case.

Haseowolf
Patreon Supporter

Post by Haseowolf » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:49 am

Lemme rephrase that...I was super pumped because now I could possibly stand to watch dubbed DBZ with my boyfriend because he refuses to watch something he can't understand the speech...which I get angry at him for, but I really wanted to enjoy it with him...*sigh*

That a little better? Cuz, yeah, I do love my Japanese audio track ^_^
[[ Saber_Breaker ]]
Want even MORE Dragon Ball podcast goodness? Check out We Gotta Podcast on Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere else you get your podcasts.

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:09 am

*Ahem*

As much as I love these arguments (hell, look at my name), isn't this topic about the Ocean dub?

Azure
Beyond Newbie

Post by Azure » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:52 am

Indeed, I treasure by Ocean Dead Zone DVD by virtue of the fact it has the Japanese BGM and Scott McNeil's super long Piccolo scream.
www.voiceacting.co.uk / www.shonen.co.uk

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:21 pm

Ocean dub's biggest mistake rather than crime, was not continuing DBZ in the USA. If they went through all of DBZ (then DB, then GT), they would've had a good run. But rather, they did a little bit of it, FUNimation came, continued to have a very successful DBZ run here, and now suddenly the Ocean dub decided to go back and pick up the ball they dropped. Except with crappier music...

Then again, if FUNimation didn't take it from Ocean, we would've never gotten uncut DB/Z/GT on DVD, and we would've never heard the original Japanese audio on any of the DVDs. So if you like the dub you spend God knows how much money on these only to realize, "Crap, I don't have the original." So then you'd get the Dragon Box up until you realize, "Crap... I don't have the subtitles! I don't know what the hell they're saying!" Thank God FUNimation took over. Ocean dub might've done 2 (Tree of Might was still pretty cut up) uncut movies, the fact remains that even when it started going back to doing DBZ after their absence, they still made it horrible. Editing wasn't as bad, but just that music, and that NEW Goku they had after Peter Kelamis were absolutely terrible. And plus, I think that for later on in the series, Chris Sabat sounds as a better Vegeta. Why? Because his voice changed and matured throughout the series and it just sounds like a natural progression. Till he went back and redubbed that is. I remember even on the Ultimate Uncut commercial, Chris Sabat's voice wasn't that deep. Sounded a lot better than during the original Ginyu Saga, but it still sounded young and Briand Drummond-esque. Then to my surprise we get GT Vegeta transitioning into Android Saga Vegeta, then back to GT Vegeta. God.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:25 pm

Again, I have to point out...

Ocean was not and is not responsible for any dubbed production of DBZ. They are simply a voice-over studio.

FUNimation was, is, and always has been (with the exception of Harmony Gold's brief run in the late 1980s) responsible for every single English dubbed production of the show in North America. Just because they didn't yet have an in-house voice cast until 1999 doesn't mean they didn't "do" it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:40 pm

I know, but yet the Ocean group went back and finished up DBZ. I'm sure that if they really wanted to, they could've done their contracting with FUNimation.

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:43 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Then again, if FUNimation didn't take it from Ocean, we would've never gotten uncut DB/Z/GT on DVD, and we would've never heard the original Japanese audio on any of the DVDs.
I'm sure all of this would have eventually been released if Funimation kept the Ocean cast.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:44 pm

Maybe. I'm just more curious than anything why they switched over. It's like FUNimation wasn't a huge company, in fact, they were down right crappy. But they went from a higher class of voice acting to a severely lower one. It's like they lost all their money and had to start from scratch.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:01 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:I know, but yet the Ocean group went back and finished up DBZ. I'm sure that if they really wanted to, they could've done their contracting with FUNimation.
No, "Ocean" did not go and finish the series... the AB Groupe went and finished the series, and happened to hire Ocean Studios as their voice cast.

FUNimation did not continue using Ocean Studios after Saban left in 1998 because they couldn't afford them anymore.
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:04 pm

Yeah. I don't fully understand the logistics of ditching the Ocean cast. Wasn't Funi a relatively small company when the were using the Ocean group? Which is why they had help from Saban. But then Funimation separated itself from Saban, because they had become more "powerful"? But yet they ended up having (overall) a less capable cast.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:17 pm

Kid Trunks wrote:Yeah. I don't fully understand the logistics of ditching the Ocean cast. Wasn't Funi a relatively small company when the were using the Ocean group? Which is why they had help from Saban. But then Funimation separated itself from Saban, because they had become more "powerful"? But yet they ended up having (overall) a less capable cast.
FUNimation was, indeed, a tiny nobody company. As has been noted in the past, part of the reason they were even able to obtain the DB license in the first place was due to all-too-common corporate nepotism.

FUNimation's deal with Saban up until 1998 gave them the resources necessary in order to dub the show (read: pay for Ocean Studios) and get on TV (read: Saban throws their weight around getting timeslots, like a one-hour block for season two).

Once Saban leaves (note that Saban left them; if someone can fill in the rest of the story on Saban's role and operations at the time, that would be great)... FUNimation's left as the same company they were before, only with a semi-popular show on their hands and no means to actually continue it. This is why they went the local route with essentially everything after that (no more flying Barry Watson to Vancouver, no more Shuki Levy music, etc.; ADR goes in-house, voice-over ads go in local newspapers, etc.).

Yes, there is a bit of irony in this little crap company being ditched by one of the biggest names of the time in American syndicated television to a decade later more-or-less owning the domestic anime industry.

Again, I have to continue stressing... Ocean Studios is just a voice-over company. They don't actually produce any shows on their own. Ocean "did" DBZ just as much as they "did" Ranma 1/2, Inu-Yasha, Gundam Wing, etc. I think the biggest confusion over who "did" the 1996-1998 dub is the fact that FUNimation shifted their voice cast in 1999, and it was made such a big deal of that everything was "them", now... despite them being there the whole time, logo at the end, Fukunaga names plastered all over everything, etc.

It's one thing to just in passing call it something like "the old Ocean dub", but it's another thing to say that Ocean Studios was RESPONSIBLE for the ENTIRETY of it (yes, I'm aware that script adaptations were handled in part by people like Terry Klassen; that's essentially irrelevant for the purpose of this conversation, though). Further complicating matters are the AB Groupe dub produced for Europe and semi-aired in Canada from time to time.

Any "crimes" that were "committed" were done by FUNimation*, themselves (and at least sometimes per the request of Saban when referring to 1996-1998) no matter what point in time you're talking about.

* unless you're referring to the AB Groupe dub, in which case it's... uh... AB Groupe

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:34 pm

It's true. I always knew that FUNimation produced it (obvious logo etc), but I think a greater confusion is people differentiating them as "Ocean dub" and "FUNimation", which after a while seems to kind of sink in as it's two different things. What is the dub they use now anyway? The Texas Group?

Anyway, as I mentioned somewhere else, I find it absolutely weird that the UK Ocean dubbed episodes follow the FUNimation script almost to a tee.Isn't there any legal dispute there? Or does FUNimation not even know? lol

So yeah, I guess FUNimation itself is a pretty bad company. But I don't want to disrespect the voice actors, because by God, what do you expect from people that they just picked up out of nowhere? Then again, with a little bit of seasoning, they're doing alright now. It's just when their first project is DBZ, and THAT'S the show they're getting their training wheels taken off on, it's just a bit weird. Their other dubs are done well, but for some reason, they crapped DBZ. Oh well, we always have the Japanese one. I still like the dub DBZ (different feel of it, brings me back to that period when everyone I knew was into the dub one, or didn't even know about the Japanese one). But still, there are faults of it. I don't give a crap about FUNimation, I just feel sorry for the voice actors when people tear them apart.

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:11 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:It's true. I always knew that FUNimation produced it (obvious logo etc), but I think a greater confusion is people differentiating them as "Ocean dub" and "FUNimation", which after a while seems to kind of sink in as it's two different things. What is the dub they use now anyway? The Texas Group?
FUNimation is using their own in-house VAs. These are the people they picked up to dub season 3 from local ads.
TheGreatness25 wrote:Anyway, as I mentioned somewhere else, I find it absolutely weird that the UK Ocean dubbed episodes follow the FUNimation script almost to a tee.Isn't there any legal dispute there? Or does FUNimation not even know?
Is that dubbed by Ocean? I thought there was a separate 'Blue Water' dubbing group that did "international" DBZ, 'Blue Water' did the "international" dub for GT.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:12 pm

bkev wrote:I want to hear more of the blue water dub; their DBGT wasn't royally screwed. And it seems from what I heard that the Dragon ball dub had a decent, not-FUNi script (they called him SON Goku! Yes!)
Not the best quality, but: http://youtube.com/watch?v=9EhRwJycX5o < -- part 1 of episode 1 DB. No "totally radical" entrance for Bulma!
He says Nyoi-bo! I didn't watch DB on Toonami due to me predicting a shitstorm of edits. I remember the opening theme too.

PrincessVegeta
Banned

Post by PrincessVegeta » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:59 am

I never liked Ocean dubs Mega Man BGM they used in the later episdoes of DBZ.
Last edited by PrincessVegeta on Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Ultimate Funimation Fangirl.

Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:21 am

bkev wrote:
Kid Trunks wrote:True. That whole into was a mess. Not to mention the fact that it featured super Saiyans, even though it was attached to the Saiyan Saga.
Well, it's not just Rock the Dragon. but that's a perfect example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCHSN2y9k_g < -- about 6:47 into the video it's sped up. That's what I'm talking about.
I didn't see what was so horrible. Granted, the splash when he hit the water did look a tad strange, but not really. If anything, that should have been sped up, seeing as people usually don't gracefully drift down into a river, they plummet.