What was the moment that "made" DB for you?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:03 pm

Zuhalter2000 wrote:my friend show me a fight with freeza
C'mon, man. You're from the US. You've seen your corrected posts in bold/red. Let's try to make a little bit of an effort. Thanks.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SSJ Helldog
Regular

Post by SSJ Helldog » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:14 pm

It was when they were fighting the saibamen in the Saiyan saga, and Piccolo explained to Gohan how to watch the fight, because they were moving too fast to see. For some reason that always sticks out in my mind. I've always enjoyed the speed of the series, even if the pacing is slower than Chrisrtmas.

I remember catching DragonBall in its initial run when I was... five or six. It must have been the Harmony Gold dub. I saw about half an episode and had no clue what was going on. It was one of the episodes with the giant mushrooms in the background. So I turned the channel and watched some Muppet Babies instead.

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:28 pm

I liked the Tree of Might which was the first thing I ever sat down and seriously watched. Dead Zone was good too but I wasn't as impressed.

When I got hired I was drawn into the whole back story of Frieza blowing up Planet Vegeta.

The Vegeta death scene a little later actually moved me. I even have a track on my next album dedicated to that scene (and my fellow arranger Mike Smith)

The Fallen Prince
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=5518744
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

Pizzaguylol

Post by Pizzaguylol » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:36 pm

Goku going Super Saiyan. I looked forward to it for weeks and weeks after having heard it happened during his fight with Freeza. I already loved the series before that, but seeing that happen was really awesome. Goku beat the hell out of Freeza and there was nothing Freeza could do about it. Pretty sweet after seeing all the horrible things he did. Was pretty awesome.
"Each man must learn to live within the citadel of himself." ~Marcus Aurelius

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:47 pm

I would say the arrival of the Saiyans because of the anticipation I got from first watching it and hoping every day that the series would get closer to that fight.

JohnnyBoy_Z
Beyond Newbie

Post by JohnnyBoy_Z » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:50 pm

The animation did it for me. At first glance, I was hooked. It was different from any other cartoon I had ever seen at the time. It was a little sloppy, but at the same time very intense and super fast. And I fell in love with all of the bright lights and colors. 8)

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:16 pm

I saw the first episode back in about 98' on FOX, and I loved it. The action(Well, the non-edited action) was just great, and I loved it.

However, I really got hooked when watching the Goku/Furiza fight. (I dont' really remember much before seeing that.)

EDIT: Also, I forgot. The artwork REALLY got me hooked. It was so different from anything I'd seen before.(Growing up on Earthworm Jim, etc. The only anime I'd seen before was Sailor Moon....yeah....and an anime called "SuperBook")
It was more realistic than the typical american art, but yet it still had this cartoony feel to it.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:57 pm

Pizzaguylol wrote:Goku going Super Saiyan.
Aw man, I remember the first time SSJ ever showed up on American television. Probably one of the most satisfying moments in watching the whole show. It was so much cooler that first time than when everybody's walking around with golden locks casually later on.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:13 am

The beam struggle during the Goku and Vegeta fight with Brian Drummonds maniacal screaming.

Man that was classic, I have loved the show ever since, even though I did switch to the Japanese version later on.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:58 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Sun May 01, 2011 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:34 pm

My answer is pretty much the same as the poster Mike D, as in I also got hooked watching Vegeta running around being an asshole to everyone on Namek. I specifically remember the scene where he was pulling Dodoria's arms back as he was trying to get information from him (it may have even been the very first episode I saw, but it's hard to remember, since it's been about 10 years). I was like, wow, this short little bastard is totally bullying this big pink guy? He must be a badass. I, always being a fan of arrogant asshole characters, got immediately hooked on both the character and the series, and to this day Vegeta is my all-time favorite anime character, and Dragonball is my favorite series.
Last edited by sailorspazz on Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Taku128

Post by Taku128 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:37 pm

I'm weird in that I got into the show through the video games, Budokai 1 specifically. I went to my friend's house and we played for a while. I thought it was a fun game so I bought it later on and loved the story. I had heard of DBZ before that, but never really got into it. I guess the moment that made the series for me was just playing Budokai 1.
­

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:22 am

There are multiple things that drew me to the series. Mainly, the artwork. Toriyama's style was like nothing I'd never seen before. Playful, yet serious when needed. The creativity of the battles impressed me, especially after years of reading American comic books.

As for a particular moment, I'd say the arrival of the Saiyans on Earth. I enjoyed the series up to that point. (I watched the first 13 eps. of DB in syndication and the beginning of DBZ on Toonami), once Raditz revealed that his comrades were on the way, I was like: HOOOLLY CRAP. Once the arrived and starting eradicating cities and killing off significant characters (Ten, Yamcha, Chaotzu), I knew I had to see the heroes finally beat them.

So yeah, I enjoyed the series up to that point, but the Saiyan battles starting the road to my DBZ addiction. (In middle/high school, of course.)
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Velasa

Post by Velasa » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:39 am

You know, reading the comments about how the art and video games pulled people in reminded me of something kinda funny. The first time I saw the show on tv the reason I didn't just keep flipping channels past this random cartoon was because it reminded me of Chronno Trigger :D
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:06 pm

Velasa wrote:You know, reading the comments about how the art and video games pulled people in reminded me of something kinda funny. The first time I saw the show on tv the reason I didn't just keep flipping channels past this random cartoon was because it reminded me of Chronno Trigger :D
Haha that's wierd... the reason CT pulled me in is because the characters looked like Final Fantasy-ish takes on Dragon Ball characters :p
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Saiyavenger2941
Advanced Regular

Post by Saiyavenger2941 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:49 pm

The entire Freeza fight, especially Krillin and Vegeta's deaths. Those were two of the most memorable moments in my entire adolescent period. Also, I remember screaming at the top of my lungs when Goku went Super for the first time, and Freezy-Pop got sliced up by his own attacks.

A couple others were Videl and Gohan's growing relationship, obviously, Trunks' debut, and Vegeta going Super.
[color=#30966E][b]PROUDLY Straight-Edge. Arrogant. Gohan and Videl obsessed. BE JEALOUS![/b][/color]
---
[url=http://bit.ly/F3l7t]DA[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/2FC03o]FFNet[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pE5Xs]Youtube[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/lCOED]Facebook[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/rWFtp]Livejournal[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/zrd4v]Twitter[/url]|[url=http://bit.ly/pYRHD]Flickr[/url]|PSN: Saiyavenger

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:39 am

Coming home from school and watching DBZ on toonami everyday was the most exciting part of my day for about 2 or 3 years and I will always love DBZ because of that

mysteriousdbzgt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mysteriousdbzgt » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:50 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:Coming home from school and watching DBZ on toonami everyday was the most exciting part of my day for about 2 or 3 years and I will always love DBZ because of that
How i got into Dragonball z was exactly like that, coming home from school and putting the channel onto Cartoon Network. I was very young when i first saw Dragonball z ( around 5) and I didn't really understand what was happening in the show, but somehow it kept my attention, and i continued to watch it until this very day. It will always be my favourite show.
Just another Dragon Ball fangirl in the world.

DB & Tiger and Bunny are my main fandoms, along with many other animes.

Deviantart Profile/ Tiger & Bunnyftw tumblr/ mysteriousdbzgt tumblr / My Anime List Profile

aegoku
Not-So-Newbie

Post by aegoku » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:24 pm

Gohan going SSJ 2 basically made the show for me. That episode originally aired on Cartoon Network around the time that DBZ was at its peak in America. There was merchandise to be had in many stores, everyone at school was talking about it, and it was on at a reliable time every weekday. Those were good times.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:31 pm

Velasa wrote:You know, reading the comments about how the art and video games pulled people in reminded me of something kinda funny. The first time I saw the show on tv the reason I didn't just keep flipping channels past this random cartoon was because it reminded me of Chronno Trigger :D
It's pretty coincidential since Akira Toriyama designed all of the characters in Chronno Trigger. And I actualy hated DBZ circa 2000. Hell, when I started 3rd grade, my mom bought me a DBZ book bag (it had the picture of Goku that was used for the cover of the Ginyu assault single DVD) because it was the only boy-centric book bag left at the store, and I threw a fit. Of course, third grade was when I first got into DBZ, so that book bag holds a special place in my heart since that was the first DBZ merchandise I ever had. I went from feeling ashamed of myself for wearing it in the first semester, to taking pride in wearing it during the second semester.