What was the moment that "made" DB for you?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

What was the moment that "made" DB for you?

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:29 pm

For me, it was Goha going SSJ2. I was skeptical of DBZ at that point, gaining a slight interest in the show, but it was at that moment when I became a fan, and I've been hooked ever since (it was the Cell saga rerun from April 2001, and before that point, I hated DBZ while all of my friends loved it, so I was behind, while they knew what happened already).
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:33 pm

The blue one.

Ur... I don't think there was any particlar moment. I really didn't get int it util Season3 started, I guess... or just before it, maybe? (When it was anounced?)... I saw stuff here and there and had a general idea of what was going on, so I started paying more attention once I knew that new episodes were coming, and we started taping it from there and it just kind of exploded. :meh:
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:59 pm

I got into DBZ through friends really. My brother (5 years older than me) was flipping through channels one day and came upon DBZ. Ironically it was the very first episode. I must've been like 7 at that time or something. I thought it was okay but never really got into it. Till about 4th grade hit and everyone was talking about DBZ, and printing out pictures of DBZ and whatnot. So I started watching it and absolutely fell in love with it.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:06 am

Goku beating up the Ginyu Force. :mrgreen:

Well, that's what got me hooked anyway. I don't think any one moment "made" the show for me. Though the driving episode and the worms episodes are pretty high up there.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:08 am

The first time I saw dbz it was interesting, but didn't really catch me. The second time was the episode on Nameksei where the three young warriors come in to defend Muuri-san and the children. These guys... I felt for them. I don't even know how to say it that doesn't sound hokey. They were just so damn brave. They got mowed down one by one and they just kept fighting because this was their family and they couldn't just let it happen. Even if they knew, as it kept going, that it was really hopeless. This is one scene that I don't know if I really would want to see it in Japanese because I'd probably start crying.

It just really affected me- it's why I feel so drawn to nameccians in general and especially the young guys who get so much shit piled on them but they just keep going, because what else can you do? This is your life. And you do what you have to.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Mike D
Regular

Post by Mike D » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:09 am

My defining moment of DB/Z was when I saw Vegeta going off on Planet Namek. He made me want to get into the series because he was just a bad ass.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:16 am

Mike D wrote:My defining moment of DB/Z was when I saw Vegeta going off on Planet Namek. He made me want to get into the series because he was just a bad ass.
Was it the time where he found out that Gohan moved The Dragon Ball that he hid in The Ocean thanks to the Dragon Radar that he made him think was a watch? I bursted out laughing when he started screaming.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:20 am

The moment that "made" DragonBall for me was Goku going SSj3. I started watching during on-and-off during the 25th Budokai with a passing interest (missing most of the good Babidi and Buu saga stuff like Goku vs Vegeta, Vegeta's sacrifice, etc... in the process), but I happened to catch Goku leveling up there and wailing on Buu, and was like, "whoa nelly, I gotta start following this closer!" O_O
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Mike D
Regular

Post by Mike D » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:24 am

jjgp1112 wrote:
Mike D wrote:My defining moment of DB/Z was when I saw Vegeta going off on Planet Namek. He made me want to get into the series because he was just a bad ass.
Was it the time where he found out that Gohan moved The Dragon Ball that he hid in The Ocean thanks to the Dragon Radar that he made him think was a watch? I bursted out laughing when he started screaming.
I don't know. I think it was when he blew away that bitch Zarbon or one of those other fools.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:26 am

Gohan beating the shit out of Super Buu. That and Dragonball :D .
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

masenko
Beyond Newbie

Post by masenko » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:45 am

The thing that made DragonBall for me was the animation. All other series on cartoon network had that cheesy blocky American-style i.e. Dexter's Laboratory. Yes, there were some anime shows on at the same time but it was DBZ that had the coolest stories. I also credit Saban and Funimation for introducing DragonBall Z first. It was like dropping the audience into a mythology that was basically a mystery and it led to questions needing answers. So yea, the animation and the advertising. But of course, when Goku turned Super Saiyan for the first time, nothing mattered anymore, DragonBall Z became Bad Ass.
"I GOTTA GAMBLE EVERYTHING I GOT ON THIS ONE FIST!!!!" - Son Goku, Tale 160

Snail

Post by Snail » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:53 am

My uncle from Hong Kong visited when I was 7 or 8 years old, and he brought over some really cheaply made button pins, cards etc. At the time, Dragonball had already ended it's run with a total of 13 episodes on television, and I hadn't had any exposure to Dragonball Z yet. I looked at the merchandise that he had given me, and I recognized Goku right away, except now..it seemed as though he was a full grown man. That sparked my interest right up.

Anyways, straight to the point. My uncle had a few tapes that he brought over from Hong Kong when he and his family came to visit, and coincidently, I popped in movie 8. I was shocked to say the least; Goku, and pals being knocked around like toys by a huge beast of an individual. In the chinese dub, Broly's name was pronounced 'Boh-Lik', which is a play on word for violence. Two words came to mind when I first viewed it, and I had to fight my mother to be able to watch the whole thing since it was too violent for my age :lol:

Since then, I hadn't had a huge surge of excitement for Dbz until the new FUNi dub aired in 98'. Seeing Goku mop the floor with Jeice and Burter was awesome. Thus, the Faulconer track that played during that battle is one of my personal favourites.

So yeah, please excuse this rambling of a post and carry on haha.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:23 am

I've liked it since I first started watching lol

I really can't remember too well what it was like without DB in my life but I do remember the first time somebody recommended it to me it was the episode when Yamucha, Ten, Piccolo, and Chaozu were on Kaio's planet. AND I didn't have a clue what was going on and watched Home Improvement instead. Later once they started showing it on UPN I liked it more after seeing the episodes over and over again and then once CN started showing the episodes after the initial ones slowly at a time I got more and more hooked.

Thing is after those first 53 edited episodes, I pretty much spoiled everything afterward but whatever I spoiled was still the shit when I witnessed it in the dub and in Japanese.

Still though there wasn't anything that had to happen to try and hook me since I was hooked nearly from the start. I say if I would have given DB a chance when I had the chance the first time instead of watching Home Improvement, I would have been hooked earlier.
Be grateful the filler in Dragon Ball doesn't suck like the 3rd arc of Rurouni Kenshin.

[size=59][quote="Onikage725"]Anakin: I'm haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating…hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me…what can I do? I will do anything you ask. If you are suffering as much as I am, please, tell me.

Me: YES! Please shut the fuck up!![/quote][/size]

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:05 am

That was what happened with me too. DBZ used to air on Kids WB in the morning in New York and I would watch it before school not having a clue what the fuck was going on. I didn't like the show. My older brother and his friends loved it, though. Now, my brother was a token black guy - swears, listens to rap, sags his pants, etc., so looking back, it was pretty funny seing him and his friends in his room watching Buu saga fansubs. Then, in April 2001, we got DirecTV and we finally had Cartoon Network. The first thing I watched was Cow & Chiken, and it was funny. At 5:30, I was bored and changed it to CN thinking it was on, and DBZ was on instead. It was the episode where Goku quit and had Gohan fight Cell. I changed the channel, but changed it back for two reasons: back in November 2000, I was at my aunt's house nd I watched an episode on Toonami's midnight run, the one where Goku and Gohan left the ROSAT, and liked it. I also wanted to see hy evryone had blonde hair instead of black.
Cold World (Fanfic)

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:14 am

jjgp1112 wrote:That was what happened with me too. DBZ used to air on Kids WB in the morning in New York and I would watch it before school not having a clue what the fuck was going on. I didn't like the show. My older brother and his friends loved it, though. Now, my brother was a token black guy - swears, listens to rap, sags his pants, etc., so looking back, it was pretty funny seing him and his friends in his room watching Buu saga fansubs. Then, in April 2001, we got DirecTV and we finally had Cartoon Network. The first thing I watched was Cow & Chiken, and it was funny. At 5:30, I was bored and changed it to CN thinking it was on, and DBZ was on instead. It was the episode where Goku quit and had Gohan fight Cell. I changed the channel, but changed it back for two reasons: back in November 2000, I was at my aunt's house nd I watched an episode on Toonami's midnight run, the one where Goku and Gohan left the ROSAT, and liked it. I also wanted to see hy evryone had blonde hair instead of black.
Fuck yeah. Waking up to watch DBZ squarely at 7 AM on the New York WB. That or 7:30. Sailor Moon was before it.

I honestly fell in love with DBZ during those 7 AM morning airings, and then lost track of it for a while when it disappeared. Some time later, I hear some kids talking about characters from a show I watched before school, I ask about it, apparently it's on Cartoon Network. And that's also about the time that I discovered DBZ uncensored and the like.

So yeah, that's my wholly uninteresting DBZ story.

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:18 pm

Goku vs Yamucha. Seriously. I fell in love with that first Pilaf dub way back when. And Muten buffing up and performing the first Kamehameha sealed the deal. To this day, I can't look at Tung Fu Rue (from Fatal Fury) without thinking about Muten Roshi.
Last edited by Onikage725 on Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Arcwave
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arcwave » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:30 pm

Hmm.. I was introduced to DBZ back in 1997 when Toonami first started showing it. I was 9. But the moment that impacted me the most was when Goku greased Turles into the Tree of Might... that was sweet.

8)
Jesse
tricofilms.com

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:48 pm

I was hooked during the Vegeta/Freeza battle. It was after that I knew I was addicted. I had never seen any type of animated show that graphic

Undercooked Sausage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Undercooked Sausage » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:46 pm

I owe Brian Drummond one for Dragonball Z.

I was only a casual fan, until the famous "YOU WON'T ESCAPE MY WRATH!" line. Once I watched this scene, I knew DBZ was something special.

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:56 pm

my friend show me a fight with freeza
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]