Two scans from a Japanese magazine about the l.a. movie

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu May 22, 2008 4:42 pm

I'm very sad by the fact how little most of the characters look like their anime counterparts.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Thu May 22, 2008 11:15 pm

The looks don't concern me TOO much, what I worry about is how they act, and unfortunatly there is NO way to know how they will have the characters behave until the film gets released.
-Laserkid

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu May 22, 2008 11:22 pm

The more images I see of this movie, the less it looks like DB to me sadly.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Thu May 22, 2008 11:36 pm

laserkid wrote:The looks don't concern me TOO much, what I worry about is how they act, and unfortunatly there is NO way to know how they will have the characters behave until the film gets released.
Not entirely true. A Trailer should suffice.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Thu May 22, 2008 11:38 pm

A trailer might be able to prove if they got it right, but if the trailers bad, doesn't mean the movie is (But the odds ARE there). A lot of trailers these days have misrepresented their films.
-Laserkid

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Thu May 22, 2008 11:40 pm

He really DOES look like a mini Ace Ventura. Funny and sad at the same time...
Trans rights, now!

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Fri May 23, 2008 2:19 am

laserkid wrote:A trailer might be able to prove if they got it right, but if the trailers bad, doesn't mean the movie is (But the odds ARE there). A lot of trailers these days have misrepresented their films.
Not to mention that the blockbuster hit trailers these days just pale in comparison to those that were made in early 2000 up until recently. They just don't pack the same 'Oomph' that they used to imo. Either that, or I'm getting old and bitter. Example: Batman Begins teasers + trailers, Vs. The Dark Knight teasers + trailers.

Apologies for going a bit off-topic, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that I hope that the trailer will really get the blood pumpin for Dragonball.

saiyanprincess
Regular

Post by saiyanprincess » Fri May 23, 2008 2:34 am

laserkid wrote:The looks don't concern me TOO much, what I worry about is how they act, and unfortunatly there is NO way to know how they will have the characters behave until the film gets released.
I agree 100%, there is no point slating it or saying negative things until we actually get to see the movie.

We are just judging everything by a few images on some random fansites, We should just all remember that it does have a pretty good budget, and it's being produced by one of the biggest companies (Fox!)

I'm sure they don't want to let their reputation down by filming something as big as this, and making it look pants.

The actors all - well almost all, have a good history and career. Take Emily Rossum and James Marsters for example!
They don't get paid all that cash for nothing :)

I just think, that before we all get disheartened or one-sideded on the Live Action Movie, we should just wait until it's released and then judge.

Sorry to re-edit post, I just found a webpage with information on the cast and their roles.
It doesn't look like Goku will be turning Oozaru :cry: It reports that Grandpa Gohan will fall to the Namekian Ninjas, and that Piccolo is going to tell him of his Saiyan ancestory! :shock:

You can check it out for youselves, It could just be a bummy hoax.

http://dbthemovie.com/cast/
[b]"Ok, use your instincts Kakarott. Right or Left? (Hmmm... I'd have to say... left.) Good. Then I'm going right!" (Vegeta to Goku as they try to find their way to free the others inside Buu - Episode: The Innards of Buu)[/b]

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri May 23, 2008 3:43 am

My attitude towards this movie, is the same one I had towards the Transformers movie.

I went in to the movie theater knowing there were things about the movie that I disliked already (the character designs, the fact Michael Bay was the director) however I enjoyed the movie for what it was, but that didn't change the fact that I thought the character designs were crap.

I see this movie the same way, I think Goku looks downright stupid, even if I love the movie, my opinion is going to stay the same.

Humpski
Regular

Post by Humpski » Fri May 23, 2008 7:30 am

I just can't imagine Chow Yun Fat being a perv and trying to squeeze girl's butt's and stuff.

Then again, maybe they'll leave that out of his character.
Check out our home made films!
Lots of martial arts action and comedy.
http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=HumpskiProductions

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Fri May 23, 2008 8:11 am

Humpski wrote:I just can't imagine Chow Yun Fat being a perv and trying to squeeze girl's butt's and stuff.

Of course they'll take it out, they can probably imagine the shit storm they'd get from mothers seeing it with their kids.

saiyanprincess
Regular

Post by saiyanprincess » Fri May 23, 2008 2:46 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
Humpski wrote:I just can't imagine Chow Yun Fat being a perv and trying to squeeze girl's butt's and stuff.

Of course they'll take it out, they can probably imagine the shit storm they'd get from mothers seeing it with their kids.

Awwww! I hope not!
I love the Master Roshi perv scenes, he is so funny!!! Especially when he gets those crazy nose bleeds. - Of course it was hillarious when Android 18... ahem retaliated and slammed him into the aeroplane :lol:

[b]"Ok, use your instincts Kakarott. Right or Left? (Hmmm... I'd have to say... left.) Good. Then I'm going right!" (Vegeta to Goku as they try to find their way to free the others inside Buu - Episode: The Innards of Buu)[/b]

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri May 23, 2008 6:01 pm

The picture gallery was nice. I like the random student's Kame gi. Although it's disappointing to see that Roshi doesn't have a beard and that there's still no shots of Piccolo!

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Fri May 23, 2008 6:34 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:there's still no shots of Piccolo!
I'd almost prefer it that way. It would be cool for it to be a surprise when we see Piccolo in the theater.

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Fri May 23, 2008 7:16 pm

Actors talk about their roles on my site. I would quote it but I'm lazy. Anyway good luck with the discussions and whatnot.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat May 24, 2008 3:02 am

They could atleast make Kame-sennin bald, with a long beard and glasses!

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Sun May 25, 2008 3:04 am

Umm....anyone forgeting someone? Where's Piccolo? Are they keeping him top secret still? I'm dying to know what he looks like!
You must have faith in who you are.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun May 25, 2008 3:41 am

sangofe wrote:I'm very sad by the fact how little most of the characters look like their anime counterparts.
Though this movie scares me, there are times that doesn't matter depending on how the performance is. For example, Rosie O'Donnell wasn't exactly the same body-type as Betty Rubble, but she pulled it off very well.

Catterix2006
Beyond Newbie

Post by Catterix2006 » Sun May 25, 2008 8:53 am

I'm not really fussed about how the character's look, as overall, it seems to work, Bulma especially looking good. My only, tiny problem is with Goku's hair, and that's simply... where are the bangs?

I like the hair, it's high volume and manic spikes is really reminiscent of Toriyama's Goku, but the lack of bangs coming down over his forehead just makes him look a bit of a plank... either that or that he's just been electrocuted.
I love humans, always seeing patterns in things that aren't there.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun May 25, 2008 1:41 pm

dragondyle wrote:Umm....anyone forgeting someone? Where's Piccolo? Are they keeping him top secret still? I'm dying to know what he looks like!
It's worse than Cloverfield, I saw a bunch of awesome fake monster designs that I thought could be it, then saw the actual monster design and said "Definitely not that one."