Dragonball Movie Update! What is UP with this?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Pain
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Pain » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:36 am

Herms wrote:Looking at that poster again, I'm now wondering where Chatwin is supposed to be standing. It looks like he's in the middle of some desert wasteland. There seems to be something in front of his right foot, but I can't quite make it out.
Yeah, I brightened the poster, and there's this weird sandy - orange colored thing behind or beside his right leg. Wonder what it is.
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:26 am

Pain wrote:
Herms wrote:Looking at that poster again, I'm now wondering where Chatwin is supposed to be standing. It looks like he's in the middle of some desert wasteland. There seems to be something in front of his right foot, but I can't quite make it out.
Yeah, I brightened the poster, and there's this weird sandy - orange colored thing behind or beside his right leg. Wonder what it is.
The trail of the Dragon Ball flying around, like on the openings.

Pain
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Pain » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:02 am

The Time Traveller wrote:
Pain wrote:
The trail of the Dragon Ball flying around, like on the openings.
Oh yeah, I see it. It's the trail from that DragonBall in front of all those words.
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:13 am

LSSJ4 wrote:Little bits like this piss me off. They completely change my view on the movie. Every time there's a sign that the movie's gonna bomb, there's always some sort of counter attack. Damn you FOX!.
I know what you mean, we see something like Goku and Gohan admiring some high swanky art and then we stumble upon something that in my opinion totally looks like live action Dragonball and makes Chatwin resemble Goku exactly.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:41 am

Pain wrote:Image
Well fuck me sideways, that actually looks damn promising. :D

And yeah I totally agree, the hair looks WAY less stupid from behind.
Herms wrote:Looking at that poster again, I'm now wondering where Chatwin is supposed to be standing. It looks like he's in the middle of some desert wasteland.
Considering the large abundance of such locales throughout the manga/anime, I find that to be very appropriate. I'd actually be a bit disappointed if the film didn't have at least a few scenes take place in that kind of setting.

So yeah... all this is well and good, but when do we finally get a good clear shot of our resident Demon King?
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:52 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:So yeah... all this is well and good, but when do we finally get a good clear shot of our resident Demon King?
I suspect much closer to release. Probably nearer the end of the year or what have you.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:59 am

djkalteraphine wrote:
Kunzait_83 wrote:So yeah... all this is well and good, but when do we finally get a good clear shot of our resident Demon King?
I suspect much closer to release. Probably nearer the end of the year or what have you.
Yeah, not for a while I'd bet. The movie doesn't come out until April (I think) of next year. They don't want to reveal everything before Febuary and leave us with nothing new to get hyped up over for two whole months. So we may not see Piccolo until the final posters start going up in March. Well, not see him in poster form, at least. We'll likely get at least a half second glimpse of him in a teaser sometime before October.
Considering the large abundance of such locales throughout the manga/anime, I find that to be very appropriate. I'd actually be a bit disappointed if the film didn't have at least a few scenes take place in that kind of setting.
No idea on how many desert scenes we've got but there's apparently quite a few open/wilderness settings, based on the earlier on-location shots we got way-back-when. I wouldn't be surprised if the most crowded locations we see are the school during the first 10 minutes of the movie and the Budokai stadium later on.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Nyogo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Nyogo » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:02 pm

Pretty cool. It's as if Tetsuya Nomura created Goku's design. It's got that Final Fantasy look, to me at least.

I think the movie will have a different approach to the story like the Super Mario Bros. movie, but be enjoyable at the same time. I only wish it was more faithful to the series, but what you gonna do.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:35 pm

It be easier to swallow with they were going for the live action cartoon look, which they might be...I don't know.

The background is reminds one of the the production shots we got with all the rocky terrain.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:46 pm

I don't like his pants but the rest is ok.

EDIT: call me stupid but... doesn't it look like he is wearing...shoulderfillings?

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:48 pm

Son Wukong wrote:EDIT: call me stupid but... doesn't it look like he is wearing...shoulderfillings?
That's what I see too. Which is weird because the production shot we had of the stunt double didn't have any shoulder-padding (just nice little sleeves).

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:00 pm

Good to see you guys are slowly beginning to realize why some of us had faith in this from the start.
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:20 pm

Uh oh. I don't that was a good thing to say. :shock: :?
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

LSSJ4
Beyond Newbie

Post by LSSJ4 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:38 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
Son Wukong wrote:EDIT: call me stupid but... doesn't it look like he is wearing...shoulderfillings?
That's what I see too. Which is weird because the production shot we had of the stunt double didn't have any shoulder-padding (just nice little sleeves).
It could be that his arms are bigger. Didn't some source say he had physical training for the movie?.

But I totally see that it may be shoulder fillings.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:51 pm

dragondyle wrote:Is there an english version of the poster? And, why does Japan get a better logo than us?
We have the same logo, theirs is just in Japanese. 8)
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:50 pm

It's a nice poster. Goku's gi reminds me of something more out of Mortal Kombat though.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:11 am

LSSJ4 wrote:
desirecampbell wrote:
It could be that his arms are bigger. Didn't some source say he had physical training for the movie?.
If his arms were bigger, they'd fill out the sleeves more, not leave them as flaps.
JAPPO wrote:Good to see you guys are slowly beginning to realize why some of us had faith in this from the start.
Huh? You had faith in the movie because Chatwin looks like a kid in bad cosplay?

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:03 pm

Well, with this, I hope we get our Teaser sometime this Fall/Early Winter.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:06 pm

Chung Wraps Dragonball artical from Sci-fi Wire.

Sci-Fi Wire wrote:The movie is based on the anime series Dragon Ball Z.
Misinformed much?
You must have faith in who you are.

Cartman Blues
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cartman Blues » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:06 pm

JAPPO wrote:Good to see you guys are slowly beginning to realize why some of us had faith in this from the start.
Glad to see someone from the Hype is here!
desirecampbell wrote:
Nothing is ever mentioned that being part human would impede the transformation to SSj4. Vegeta's body was literally invaded by an alien being

Rocketman wrote:
So was ChiChi's.