Dragonball Movie Update! What is UP with this?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:36 pm

I doubt anyone at the school has any knowledge of the Dragon Balls.
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:40 pm

FormallyKnownAsPrince wrote:Wow. That'd be lame. It'd really take away from the mysticism and cheapen the story...
I would consider the series making "summoning the Dragon God" on the same level of normalcy as "buying a gallon of milk from the store" as more of a murdering the mysticism than this.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:51 pm

Rocketman wrote:
FormallyKnownAsPrince wrote:Wow. That'd be lame. It'd really take away from the mysticism and cheapen the story...
I would consider the series making "summoning the Dragon God" on the same level of normalcy as "buying a gallon of milk from the store" as more of a murdering the mysticism than this.
You can't find a boyfriend: Find and use Shenron
You lost the remote: Summon Shenron
Your husband murders spectators at a World Tournament: Call the Enternal Dragon
You want eternal youth: Call the dragon......then KILL the Dragon.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

FormallyKnownAsPrince

Post by FormallyKnownAsPrince » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:00 pm

Raki wrote:
Rocketman wrote:
You can't find a boyfriend: Find and use Shenron
You lost the remote: Summon Shenron
Your husband murders spectators at a World Tournament: Call the Enternal Dragon
You want eternal youth: Call the dragon......then KILL the Dragon.
Heh, point taken. :lol:

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:27 pm

Personally, I think the head of the tiger looks a little...weird, almost like an aardvark's.

In the end I really doubt that the shirt will make it into the movie, but even if it does I doubt that they will be talking about the details on it or zooming that far in.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:58 am

Found this bit on Super Hero Hype! rather amusing. . .
A hi-res version of a previously-released photo and three new promo photos have surfaced online for James Wong's Dragonball. The video game adaptation opens April 10 and stars Justin Chatwin, James Marsters, Jamie Chung, Emmy Rossum, Eriko Tamura, Joon Park, Chow Yun-Fat, Texas Battle, Randall Duk Kim and Ernie Hudson.
:lol:

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:44 am

Hahaha, yes! A crappy videogame based on this..thing. :D I want it!

AND: I also want action figures! NOW!! :D

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:48 am

Timo wrote:Hahaha, yes! A crappy videogame based on this..thing. :D I want it!

AND: I also want action figures! NOW!! :D
No, no. Not a video game based on it. . They're calling the movie, Dragon Ball, based on a video game.

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:31 am

Ahhh. I see. Okay Note to myself: Next time, read ALL of the text!

However, I WANT a video game based on the movie. DB Sagas - The Movie!

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:43 am

I want to see this movie for all the wrong reasons. Unlike most movie goers I love going to bad movies, they're more hilarious than most comedies out there. Hopefully this movie will exceed my expectations. Speaking of which, I'm not sure if anyone posted this yet but on of favorite blog site posted a list a couple of weeks back: 8 Ways They're Going to F**k Up the Dragonball Movie

Sorry in advance if someone already posted this link.

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:00 am

High quality images have been posted of images we've already sort of seen.

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:17 am

Where's Piccolo ? :?
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

DB_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DB_Fan » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:47 am

Scarz wrote:I want to see this movie for all the wrong reasons. Unlike most movie goers I love going to bad movies, they're more hilarious than most comedies out there. Hopefully this movie will exceed my expectations. Speaking of which, I'm not sure if anyone posted this yet but on of favorite blog site posted a list a couple of weeks back: 8 Ways They're Going to F**k Up the Dragonball Movie

Wait... Yajirobe is in the movie?

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:48 am

Scarz wrote:I want to see this movie for all the wrong reasons. Unlike most movie goers I love going to bad movies, they're more hilarious than most comedies out there. Hopefully this movie will exceed my expectations. Speaking of which, I'm not sure if anyone posted this yet but on of favorite blog site posted a list a couple of weeks back: 8 Ways They're Going to F**k Up the Dragonball Movie

I like how the blog compared the American DBZ music to Ultimate Warrior's intro theme. Fucking classic right there.

666th post. Eat your heart out!
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:04 pm

I am suddenly getting the "this is going to be like the power rangers movie" vibe.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:43 pm

But Yamcha looks like he’s going to enjoy some underserved bad-ass status when in reality he’s probably the most pathetic character in the entire series.
I beg to differ with the blogger's opinion here on the grounds that Yamucha's fight with Tenshinhan at the 22nd Budokai is hands down one of the most kickass fights in the entire series. He lost granted, but it was a ridiculously cool fight all the same.

Oh, and the Sokidan is anything but "weak-ass".
omegacwa wrote:I am suddenly getting the "this is going to be like the power rangers movie" vibe.
I'm holding out some shred of blind optimism until at the very least we see a trailer with a substantial amount of footage. For every extremely crappy bit of "what the fuck are they thinking?" tidbit we hear/see, there's something surprisingly promising to counterbalance it.

I just don't know how I feel about this movie anymore to be perfectly honest. This really could go either way, and I'm certainly not gonna make any sort of predictions on this one. Ve shall just have to vait and see.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Son Wukong
Regular

Post by Son Wukong » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:55 pm

Must...fight...bad thoughts.

'' At least we have Mai's cleavage to entertain us ''wink'' ''wink'' ''

Damn it !

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:05 pm

Eriko Tamura is smokin' as Mai.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:55 pm

Chrono Trigger wrote:Where's Piccolo ? :?
Under wraps, of course. There's like, 8 months before the movie comes out. They'd be stupid to show off Piccolo now. The earliest we'll see him is in the first trailer. But I'll be shocked if we see him before December.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:01 pm

Son Wukong wrote:At least we have Mai's cleavage to entertain us ''wink'' ''wink''
At least.