Dragonball Movie Update! What is UP with this?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:33 pm

omegacwa wrote:I am suddenly getting the "this is going to be like the power rangers movie" vibe.
It's not like anybody expected much after seeing the quality of the TV series. :wink:
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:52 pm

If I were them I wouldnt show him at all until the release - show action clips and such of course but only show him in the shadows or the outlines of his body.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:31 pm

The film's gotta be pretty bad if they're trying to hype Piccolo like this.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:35 pm

JulieYBM wrote:The film's gotta be pretty bad if they're trying to hype Piccolo like this.
Don't let Velasa see you rip Piccolo like that, the results could be potentially fatal :lol:
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:00 pm

It's not so much that I am insulting Piccolo as I am the fact that they're trying to hype the look of a character fans should know what he'll look like.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Pain
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Pain » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:20 pm

JulieYBM wrote:It's not so much that I am insulting Piccolo as I am the fact that they're trying to hype the look of a character fans should know what he'll look like.
But it's live action, and that character is what many fans want to see in live action form, right? They want to make us wait. And of course it shouldn't be terrible, because many of the cast members are impressed with it and that's all that matters(lol That was the biggest lie I've ever told.). But seriously, the live action Piccolo should look similar to his anime counterpart.
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

Velasa

Post by Velasa » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:24 am

JulieYBM wrote:It's not so much that I am insulting Piccolo as I am the fact that they're trying to hype the look of a character fans should know what he'll look like.
I've got the same feeling about it half the time as well. Them hiding things from us doesn't do good- it just makes us worry that it's going to suck. But after listening to Marsters and how he really seems to care about the character, I think I have to trust he'll look alright.

Of course, I'm very particular on my Daimaou men. I want to see some antennae, and black or red eyes. But my god I just want to see Daimaou and hear him and know for sure that he's going to be amazing and respected in an otherwise terrible movie.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:32 pm

I listened to that last night. I can't imagine Chi-Chi as an "It" girl.

I can imagine her TRYING to be one (ala Movie 8 and her "we're a normal couple, really!" act that put Goku in a suit and tried to get him to lie about his "hobbies") but I can't see her actually succeeding. Her temper is too short, and she's way too gung ho on education to be any further than "class representative".
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:47 pm

Somehow, I managed to cringe through that.
Chuquita wrote:I listened to that last night. I can't imagine Chi-Chi as an "It" girl.

I can imagine her TRYING to be one (ala Movie 8 and her "we're a normal couple, really!" act that put Goku in a suit and tried to get him to lie about his "hobbies") but I can't see her actually succeeding. Her temper is too short, and she's way too gung ho on education to be any further than "class representative".
Even so, Dragon Ball Chi-chi (before giving birth to Gohan) was perfectly content to being carefree, and didn't have the short fuse she gets under the stress of overbearing motherhood. I can't see Dragon Ball Chi-chi caring anymore than I can see Goku. But, when you put a couple retards who live in the woods into high school, and cut Kuririn, all bets are off.

mAcChaos

Post by mAcChaos » Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:55 pm

Of all people, why would they cut Krillin. You'd think they'd cut someone like Yajirobe.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:00 pm

That was a terrible move, Kuririn is arguably the second most important character in dragonball and they left him out. :evil:
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:00 pm

mAcChaos wrote:Of all people, why would they cut Krillin. You'd think they'd cut someone like Yajirobe.

Because Kuririn isn't marketable somehow? :(

It's because he doesn't have a nose, isn't it? :cry:

I think Kuririn's WAY more marketable than Yajirobe. The lack of Kuririn is one of the bigger things that upsets me about this movie.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:05 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote:
Herms wrote:
desirecampbell wrote:Anyway, I'm off to watch Dark Knight and write about how terrible it is.
Well, enjoy the Watchmen trailer at least.
What Watchmen trailer? I saw Dark Knight this weekend and didn't see a trailer. Although, Dark Knight has me worried about future comic book movies.
wow youre insane, there were parts i didnt like about it, but it was a very solid movie.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:30 pm

Chuquita wrote:
mAcChaos wrote:Of all people, why would they cut Krillin. You'd think they'd cut someone like Yajirobe.

Because Kuririn isn't marketable somehow? :(

It's because he doesn't have a nose, isn't it? :cry:

I think Kuririn's WAY more marketable than Yajirobe. The lack of Kuririn is one of the bigger things that upsets me about this movie.
It's the one thing I'm most upset about.

How hard is it to find a short, Chinese guy who knows martial arts, and will let you shave his head?

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:41 pm

Sorry if this has been asked already, but where/when was it announced that Yajirobe would be in this movie? Is this from a legit source, or is this merely a rumor that people are assuming to be factual? If legit, then any word on who's playing him?
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:51 pm

I don't think it has been announced, as far as I know.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:14 pm

While we're at it, has it also been confirmed that Kuririn isn't in the movie? I mean, sure, we got some news about Goku having some sort of movie exclusive buddy at school, but that doesn't mean that the guy is Goku's only friend, right?

For all we know, Fox could be preventing any news about him from being leaked, kinda like how they're doing with Piccolo's look.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:25 pm

It's quite possible that they're leaving Kuririn for a sequel. Makes sense to me, considering that - I would think - the movie will end with Goku continuing/beginning to train under Roshi.
Last edited by bkev on Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:27 pm

DaemonCorps wrote:While we're at it, has it also been confirmed that Kuririn isn't in the movie? I mean, sure, we got some news about Goku having some sort of movie exclusive buddy at school, but that doesn't mean that the guy is Goku's only friend, right?

For all we know, Fox could be preventing any news about him from being leaked, kinda like how they're doing with Piccolo's look.

If its revealed Kuririn IS in the movie, I will regain some hope for it.
Kuririn's too important a person to Goku (especially during this arc; because that's who he's avenging) to leave out.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!