Woohoo! More News About The New Dragonball Special!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:33 pm

Thanos6 wrote:
Amaranth Sparrow wrote:I'm kinda surprised nobody has brought this up, but with how long Kazuhiko Torishima said Toriyama's been working on DBO (5 years), anyone think the special might bridge the 200-year gap between the Dragon Ball manga and Dragon Ball Online?

The DBO trailer released back around March had all sorts of interesting history tidbits, stuff about Lunch, Mr. Boo, the Yardratians, etc., occuring between the manga and game, after all.
Really? I missed it...what did it say?
I think it's here somewhere

This new special? Meh, I don't even want to think about what it'll be... I just want to watch it. :)
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

saiyanprincess
Regular

Post by saiyanprincess » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:36 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:I'm just going to laugh if it focuses on Mr. Satan's wacky adventures with fat Buu. I really doubt it's going to be any plot changing epic.
I think it would be better if it delved into Vegeta's past a little more and unearthed some further secrets about Vegetaseii and his planet purging days, maybe even at last answering the mysterious question on how Bulma and him got together in the first place! - Although I highly doubt that for a minute. It would be nice to see. :lol:

I hope it does not focus primarilly on that annoying toilet brush shaped head of Hercule Satan... Well when he has hair and not a big bald patch that is... That man just REALLY annoys me.
[b]"Ok, use your instincts Kakarott. Right or Left? (Hmmm... I'd have to say... left.) Good. Then I'm going right!" (Vegeta to Goku as they try to find their way to free the others inside Buu - Episode: The Innards of Buu)[/b]

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:11 pm

Amaranth Sparrow wrote:I'm kinda surprised nobody has brought this up, but with how long Kazuhiko Torishima said Toriyama's been working on DBO (5 years), anyone think the special might bridge the 200-year gap between the Dragon Ball manga and Dragon Ball Online?

The DBO trailer released back around March had all sorts of interesting history tidbits, stuff about Lunch, Mr. Boo, the Yardratians, etc., occuring between the manga and game, after all.
Didn't I bring that up a few posts back? :S

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:49 pm

Bleh, I hope its not related to DBO. "Next Generation" stuff really turns me off. I don't care about Goku and Piccolo's great-great-great-great-great-grandchildren, I care about Goku and Piccolo. :p

I'll take a Buu and Hercule humor oneshot over hearing about these OC's from 200 years in the future any day.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:27 pm

> > If Pic has a great-great-great-great-great-grandkid, that means he had a kid in the first place which means that he isn't dead at the end of the series. Which makes me happy ^_~

I'd rather not have just humor, and I'd be pretty pissed if all it ended up being was two minor characters I don't care about sitting around making jokes, but I don't think that'll be it. I hope that's not it anyway. Oh well. We just have to wait a few more months.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Toriyama Boss
Banned

Post by Toriyama Boss » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:49 pm

Herms wrote:It occured to me that I might as well post the schedule I found for this anime tour, so that anyone else who's in Japan or is just curious can see where and when it will be. I found it the schedule on this website, after googling for ジャンプ・アニメツアー. Here's a translation of the scedule:

Osaka: September 21st, Gran Cube Osaka
Tokyo: September 27th, Tokyo Metropolitan Hibiya Public Hall
Kagawa: October 5th, Alpha Anabuki Hall
Fukuoka: October 12th, Denki Hall
Hiroshima: October 19th, ALSOK Hall
Okinawa: October 25th, Naha City Meeting Hall
Nagoya: November 2nd, Nagoya Town Hall
Niigata: November 9th, Niigata People's Plaza
Sapporo: November 15th, Doushin Hall
Sendai: November 23nd, Sendai International Center
Hope you go.

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:32 pm

Honestly, if it is to be post-DBZ, then I would love for the special to be around the 29th Tenkaichi Budokai. The main cast catches wind of Goku and his pupil participating, a new villian as well, and somewhere in there, we get to see Goku and Vegeta finally get to have their Tournament match. That would work for me. Maybe Goku and Vegeta go all out and knock each other out cold, a double KO where neither stands back up before the 10 count, Uub vs. the new villian in the main confrontation of the tournament. If they threw in some history of the Budokai, and Roshi was there with some flashbacks of him and Son Gohan competing decades ago would wrap it up as a perfect "Special" for this fan.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:50 am

Akira wrote:Honestly, if it is to be post-DBZ, then I would love for the special to be around the 29th Tenkaichi Budokai. The main cast catches wind of Goku and his pupil participating, a new villian as well, and somewhere in there, we get to see Goku and Vegeta finally get to have their Tournament match. That would work for me. Maybe Goku and Vegeta go all out and knock each other out cold, a double KO where neither stands back up before the 10 count, Uub vs. the new villian in the main confrontation of the tournament. If they threw in some history of the Budokai, and Roshi was there with some flashbacks of him and Son Gohan competing decades ago would wrap it up as a perfect "Special" for this fan.
Whoa, man, I love that. The last bit gave me a bit of a chill, even.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:57 am

Akira wrote:Honestly, if it is to be post-DBZ, then I would love for the special to be around the 29th Tenkaichi Budokai. The main cast catches wind of Goku and his pupil participating, a new villian as well, and somewhere in there, we get to see Goku and Vegeta finally get to have their Tournament match. That would work for me. Maybe Goku and Vegeta go all out and knock each other out cold, a double KO where neither stands back up before the 10 count, Uub vs. the new villian in the main confrontation of the tournament. If they threw in some history of the Budokai, and Roshi was there with some flashbacks of him and Son Gohan competing decades ago would wrap it up as a perfect "Special" for this fan.
Why aren't you working at Toei?

Honestly thats the best idea I've heard for the special so far, that would be satisfying on so many levels.

Also, throw Piccolo in there.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:49 am

I would love a Tenkaichi Budoukai based special like that.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Sophos

Post by Sophos » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:38 pm

How about we start over from where the original canon manga ended? I mean, if Toriyama were to work on the series himself out of choice, I'm sure it would turn out much better than the rushed DBGT. It would bring a closure to the story not previously achieved (admit it, the ending to DBZ was stupid; Goku flies off with a random kid? What is that?) and it would be a great new product. Perhaps a sort of "back-to-basics" shot at the Dragon Ball universe. Cicero himself would write his final draft years after his original draft. He would leave it alone for a couple years, then look at it again from a more objective standpoint, make better observations, and then be able to better perfect his work.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:41 pm

Sophos wrote:How about we start over from where the original canon manga ended? I mean, if Toriyama were to work on the series himself out of choice, I'm sure it would turn out much better than the rushed DBGT. It would bring a closure to the story not previously achieved (admit it, the ending to DBZ was stupid; Goku flies off with a random kid? What is that?) and it would be a great new product. Perhaps a sort of "back-to-basics" shot at the Dragon Ball universe. Cicero himself would write his final draft years after his original draft. He would leave it alone for a couple years, then look at it again from a more objective standpoint, make better observations, and then be able to better perfect his work.
How about just waiting for news on actual content?

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:29 pm

I'd really like a story where all the bad guys come back from hell, and start beating the crap out of everyone. After this, Vegeta will come in, but will sadly be utterly defeated.Then, Goku gets a splurge of energy at the last second, and destroys the enemy with a super new move that he'll never use again! :P

...or we could use Akira's idea, that one is awesome! :D
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:15 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing a movie about Son Goku being a goofy old man, who trains those, who dare to travel lengths to find him.

DNA
I Live Here

Post by DNA » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:45 pm

ultimateemail5000 wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing a movie about Son Goku being a goofy old man, who trains those, who dare to travel lengths to find him.
That makes me remember that drawing of the really old Goku that kinda looked like Kamesennin ^^

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:47 pm

DNA wrote:
ultimateemail5000 wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing a movie about Son Goku being a goofy old man, who trains those, who dare to travel lengths to find him.
That makes me remember that drawing of the really old Goku that kinda looked like Kamesennin ^^
Yeah, I can't find it, but I used to have it. Hm, well, I remember that being drawn by Toriyama as a design for Goku when he was old. Never got that far though, did we? :D

backthen
Beyond Newbie

Post by backthen » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:16 pm

Any words on what animation type this will be?

Like Budokai 2 and 3 intros.

Or like GT animation.

If it was the first I would instantly jump around the house in excitement.

Also, that theory that this will connect DBO to the story, that would be genius.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:28 pm

It'll probably just be standard DBZ animation.

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:32 pm

djkalteraphine wrote:
DNA wrote:
Yeah, I can't find it, but I used to have it. Hm, well, I remember that being drawn by Toriyama as a design for Goku when he was old. Never got that far though, did we? :D
I think that was one of his original thoughts for how to end the manga after Buu. Like, have the last panel be old Goku training up the next generation. I'd have loved that.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

backthen
Beyond Newbie

Post by backthen » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:36 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:It'll probably just be standard DBZ animation.
That would be kinda stupid, That animation is old technology, like 10 years plus.. I hope they don't do that. :(