The new One Piece DVD makes DBZ re-season 5 look like a joke

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Snail
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:23 pm

http://funimation.com/yuyuhakusho/

Instead of making an entirely new thread, I thought I'd post this bit in here. It seems as though the YuYuHakusho box sets are possibly going to be treated fairly well also. The box set art is very fitting, and not at all 'cheesy'. Oh FUNi, how you screw over your DB merchandise and products woefully...

JulieYBM
Namekian Warrior

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:40 pm

What's wrong with the orange boxsets? At the very least they match the Dragonballs.
She/Her | Want to be a girl? Click here! | What's gender dysphoria, you ask? Click here to find out!

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:44 pm

JulieYBM wrote:What's wrong with the orange boxsets? At the very least they match the Dragonballs.
There's nothing really wrong with the boxsets, it's just that they messed up it's contents so badly that everyone hates them and is always looking for extra little things to talk badly about.

Snail
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:59 pm

Personally, I like the Z season sets, despite all of it's flaws. Basically, because it's being released from beginning to end consistently, and it's affordable. I'm just disappointed because when you compare the box art to..say...the Full Metal Alchemist, or Yu Yu Hakusho sets; the layout on the covers are are pretty awesome. It's almost direct proof that FUNi can at the very least release competent art covers.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:26 pm

The only thing the about the season set boxes that could be considered a "flaw" is the image of Goku that is used on season six as apposed to the Gohan image that would have been much more fitting. Yes the orange bricks could have better art, but they have no major flaws like the episodes themselves have.

Snail
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:09 pm

I never said anything about the flaws of the content. I'm mainly complaining about the lack of creativity with the box art. That's all.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:05 pm

Think the YYH one will be like those 2 disc version with no extras? The 2 disc versions don't have the Yama's Notebook that exsplained things that the older ones had.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:24 pm

Super Sonic wrote:Think the YYH one will be like those 2 disc version with no extras? The 2 disc versions don't have the Yama's Notebook that exsplained things that the older ones had.
I hope not. Funi seems to do alright with shows that don't have "Dragonball" in the title.
Dragonball and One Piece are two totally different stories, except one author has a fanboy hard-on for another Author.

Snail
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:12 am

Super Sonic wrote:Think the YYH one will be like those 2 disc version with no extras? The 2 disc versions don't have the Yama's Notebook that exsplained things that the older ones had.

600 minutes on 4 discs.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:52 am

Snail wrote:

600 minutes on 4 discs.
From what's been confirmed about them so far, though, the season set discs are the exact same discs as the two-disc releases. Same transfers, same (lack of) extras, everything.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:19 pm

Was wondering. Doesn't affect me as I have the entire series minus one disc on its way by e-bay that I should've got at con when I had the chance 3 months ago. Only have 2 od the 2 disc sets due to the Dark Tournament being not so easy to find in stores as the Sensui and Three Kings arcs were.

SSJsnake

Post by SSJsnake » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:18 pm

I guess this would be the topic to ask this in. Are the new One Piece Funimation boxsets regions 1,2 and 4 like their Dragon ball releases or is it just region 1 only?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:58 pm

SSJsnake wrote:I guess this would be the topic to ask this in. Are the new One Piece Funimation boxsets regions 1,2 and 4 like their Dragon ball releases or is it just region 1 only?
Just checked mine, and it's a Region 1 only. Don't know if other regions are getting their own or not.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")

We Gotta Power >>>>> Cha-La Head Cha-La. Fight me.
If Super wanted to be "canon," then it should have been good.
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:21 pm

Now that Yu Yu Hakusho has been brought up, I have all of the 2-Disc sets, but the last one was a bit odd for me. Some particular episodes keep getting skipped over on the last disc of the last set. I believe it's when Yusuke promotes the idea of a tournament to see whom will rule over the Demon World. I don't why it did that, but I never really bothered to look into the problem. Did this happen to anyone else?

I might the last season set though.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

SSJsnake

Post by SSJsnake » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:28 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:
SSJsnake wrote:I guess this would be the topic to ask this in. Are the new One Piece Funimation boxsets regions 1,2 and 4 like their Dragon ball releases or is it just region 1 only?
Just checked mine, and it's a Region 1 only. Don't know if other regions are getting their own or not.
Thanks for checking. That is a real shame, guess i wont be importing that to the UK then. I hope someone picks up the lisence here and gives us some uncut One Piece love. The again i dont think the UK even got DVDs of the horrible 4Kids version let alone likely to get the uncut version.

kusakun004
Beyond Newbie

Post by kusakun004 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:26 am

None of the episodes on my copy skip.

But, YYH 2-disc sets 5, 6, and 7 have wrong opening animation. I thought FUNimation only messed up Dragonball products. Does anyone know if these will be fixed for the season sets?

The Time Traveller
I Live Here

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:35 am

SSJsnake wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:
Thanks for checking. That is a real shame, guess i wont be importing that to the UK then. I hope someone picks up the lisence here and gives us some uncut One Piece love. The again i dont think the UK even got DVDs of the horrible 4Kids version let alone likely to get the uncut version.
You could get a region 0 DVD player for like £20 or less somewhere.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:35 am

SSJsnake wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:
Well hey, region-free DVD players are everyone's friend.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")

We Gotta Power >>>>> Cha-La Head Cha-La. Fight me.
If Super wanted to be "canon," then it should have been good.
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:17 pm

Region free DVD players are pretty cheap now, and they are something worth investing in if your interested in foreign media.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... category0=

Ebay has a lot of them, especially some really nice HD 1080p ones too. :)

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:17 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:
SSJsnake wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote: Just checked mine, and it's a Region 1 only. Don't know if other regions are getting their own or not.
You could get a region 0 DVD player for like £20 or less somewhere.
Why do that when you can hack your DVD player and change it to Region 0. Here is a short tutorial on how to do so: (Google Search: [Insert Brand & Model here] Region Free Hack.). Doing that beats buying another DVD player.
Dragonball and One Piece are two totally different stories, except one author has a fanboy hard-on for another Author.