Dragon Box Singles purchasing order

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Raz

Dragon Box Singles purchasing order

Post by Raz » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:00 pm

I am breaking down and buying these things shortly and I wanted opinions.

Is it more plausable to wait the five to ten years it may or may not take for blue ray releases or is it worth spending the money on the region free dvd player and buying the dragon box singles?

If so and someone has gone down the route of buying dragon box singles what is a reasonable number to buy in a month? My concern is if I dedicate to buying a 3000 dollar set of disks I wouldn't want to get to say all but seven DVDs and then be searching as if for the dragon balls to have my ultimate wish.

I am thinking I may be better off toughing it out with these brick sets and waiting for the blue ray format whilst boning up on my japanese. (I am currently learning arabic so it just isn't in the cards to study japanese just yet.)

If I do buy these singles is there a 'best order?'
[b]Wrath: The Cracked Lens[/b] [i]by Jacob W. Hoffman[/i]

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:16 pm

Nothing is worth waiting ten years for. At least, almost nothing.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:20 pm

Well if Toei does do a HD release, you'll certainly be kicking yourself if you have only just bought all of the singles.

My school of thought is, if they do a good HD release, I'll buy them, if they don't put them out again, I guess I'll have to try to move on with my life knowing I don't own a Dragonbox.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:55 pm

I'm going to buy a select few DBox singles just in case Toei pulls an HD release. But I do see this being a big deal if Toei does it. Maybe it will have all the major dubs on that release.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Raz

Post by Raz » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:10 pm

I don't mean to be a pessimist but I think that is wishful thinking. As odd as it sounds I think Toei woud have to liscence the releases of those dubs, I don't think subtitles are out of the question though.

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:28 pm

Paying 40 dollars for a handful of episodes, in the fuzziest, unclearest quality, yeah sounds worth it.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:44 pm

ultimateemail5000 wrote:Paying 40 dollars for a handful of episodes, in the fuzziest, unclearest quality, yeah sounds worth it.
If that is all you have to say, why bother posting at all?

It's like you want every topic to degenerate into a Dbox vs Season sets thread.

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:50 pm

If I was trying to start something, I would get comparison shots, go into details about how Season Sets or DragonBoxes are better then others. He was asking a question if he should wait or whatever, I gave him my thoughts.

It sounds like to me you are the one trying to start something, by saying I'm trying to start something, when I'm clearly stating my opinion. You don't like it, that's fine by me.

Raz

Post by Raz » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:14 pm

I see what you are saying ultimateemail and I appreciate it, unfortunately these are the choices FUNimation are leaving us with at this point.

I don't like what they have done with the orange sets, I can see the effort put into these budget releases to try and make them more appealing but they did more damage than they did good.

My concern is with the new formats coming out and seeing how these look upscaled the loss of detail is enormous again.
I do still preffer my non HD TV though oddly enough, I just find the formats loose a little in some ways.

If I do go down the route of buying the singles which I am leaning towards, what is a reasonanble amount of purchases per month? Where should I begin?

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:48 pm

ultimateemail5000 wrote: It sounds like to me you are the one trying to start something.
Not at all.

You made a similar comment in another thread, I mistook it as another case of "Dragonboxes suck blah blah blah"
Raz wrote:If I do go down the route of buying the singles which I am leaning towards, what is a reasonanble amount of purchases per month? Where should I begin?
First of all, it depends on what part of the series you're looking to collect, if you're after all of it, it makes sense to start from the beginning, as to the amount you should purchase at a time, limit it to the amount you're willing to spend, but keep in mind the shipping costs, and how it might be sensible to wait a month and get a larger order.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:08 am

Raz wrote:I don't mean to be a pessimist but I think that is wishful thinking. As odd as it sounds I think Toei woud have to liscence the releases of those dubs, I don't think subtitles are out of the question though.
If that's the case, then they could just take the subs from each Dub studio.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:36 am

I'm pretty sure, like the dubs, borrowing the subtitles from the various regions of Dragon Ball releases would require back licensing from the translators.

You also should realize those sets are being made for a Japanese market, expecting English subtitles is just as "pie in the sky" as expecting a dub on it.

What I would expect is actually possible (but unlikely), is FUNimation licensing the Dbox remasters for the eventual Blu Ray releases. That's about the best hope you can have there, and even thats unlikely.
-Laserkid

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:00 am

laserkid wrote:I'm pretty sure, like the dubs, borrowing the subtitles from the various regions of Dragon Ball releases would require back licensing from the translators.

You also should realize those sets are being made for a Japanese market, expecting English subtitles is just as "pie in the sky" as expecting a dub on it.

What I would expect is actually possible (but unlikely), is FUNimation licensing the Dbox remasters for the eventual Blu Ray releases. That's about the best hope you can have there, and even thats unlikely.
I don't think Daimao would have a problem with Toei using the subtitles. From what I understand, a Ghost in the Shell DVD set had the English dub on it, so i don't think that's out of the question.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:47 am

Raki wrote:a Ghost in the Shell DVD set had the English dub on it, so i don't think that's out of the question.
I don't see how it's even a remote possibility, there's no demand for it in Japan, Toei aren't going to waste their time.

As for Steve Simmons' subtitles, FUNimation owns the rights to his scripts, not Toei.

I'm sorry, but you guys are being completely unrealistic, the only way the Dragonbox footage is going to have english subtitles or the FUNimation dub is if FUNimation gets the rights to the Dragonbox masters, which isn't going to happen, because FUNi thought they could do better job themselves, and then failed miserably in doing so.

Azure
Beyond Newbie

Post by Azure » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:09 pm

You want to buy a TV animated show from the 80s in HD......really? I would see if I could pick up the Japanese boxes straight up, you get all the neat extras too.
www.voiceacting.co.uk / www.shonen.co.uk

Saiyan BayBays

Post by Saiyan BayBays » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:12 pm

Adding subs to the DBox footage wouldn't hurt sales in Japan though. If anything it would increase the amounts of imports since it already is the best form of the show with all the previews and everything. To me, it seems like it would be a smart move on Toei's part.

Raz

Post by Raz » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:33 pm

the only logical explanation i can come up with as to TOEI not notusing English subtitles with a growing market is some sort of agreement witjh Funimation which prevents them from outwardly marketting overseas Even if the market for DVDs is 1/10th over here for Jap CD and DVD sales I would think they'd market to the English audience if the desire were strong enough. I think the market for DBZ is about half and half for purists versus dubbies.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Raz wrote:the only logical explanation i can come up with as to TOEI not notusing English subtitles with a growing market is some sort of agreement witjh Funimation which prevents them from outwardly marketting overseas Even if the market for DVDs is 1/10th over here for Jap CD and DVD sales I would think they'd market to the English audience if the desire were strong enough. I think the market for DBZ is about half and half for purists versus dubbies.
Actually, it seems that more like only 25% or less of American DBZ fans are "purists", just judging by who I've met, what I've read and Funimation's sales.

Raz

Post by Raz » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:37 pm

Even 25 percent is huge. Also the purists I think buy a lot more if you think about it. I mean I have owned tons of uncut video releases, DVDs, manga and most people that get into Dragon Ball either preffer the jap version or respect it. Judging by how the orange bricks have been sold, they seem to market this japanese remastered BS they want everyone to swollow pretty hard.