Anyone shed more light on this-> Goku vs Superman

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:28 pm

Chibi Mystic Gohan wrote:Well, it doesn't matter how fast you can teleport if the other guy can get behind you when you're done, I say.
Yeah, I'm not saying Goku's Shunkan-ido is a substitute for regular speed in battle, just that I don't think it's accurate to describe Cell as being faster than Shunkan-ido. If he was, why would he care when he learned it from Goku after his self-destruction?

Oh right, Superman vs. Goku...I think Goku has better fashion sense.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:28 pm

In regards to the scan from Wizard magazine why the hell would Goku care if there was an 8th Dragonball or not, you only need 7 to summon the Dragon.
Last edited by NeptuneKai on Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Toriyama Boss
Banned

Post by Toriyama Boss » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:29 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:In regards to the scan from Wizard magazine why the hell would Goku care if there was an eight Dragonball or not, you only need 7 to summon the Dragon.
Wizard is weird.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:59 pm

Son Goku and Superman are two superpowered beings from another planet who generally have upbeat attitudes except when things get really serious. They both save the world (or some other world) on a regular basis and would do anything to keep their friends and family safe from harm.

This leads me to my question: why would they fight in the first place?
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:08 pm

Indeed, the problem I often have with these match ups is not taking into account personalities.

If any fight were to occur it would probably be a sportsmanlike match at a Tournament or event because Goku soiled himself at how strong Superman was and wanted to fight him just to see (Goku's Saiayan love of fighting). But even then it would have to be agreed upon its nto like Goku would just run up and attack superman.

If they REALLY just wanted dropdown fighter, an early era Vegeta would work better for this.
-Laserkid

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:22 pm

Or a villain from later. "Cell uses Shunkan Idou to escape from Hell but winds up in the DCU" or "Buu rips a hole in the dimension between universes," or something like that.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

FindKenshi
Advanced Regular

Post by FindKenshi » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:23 pm

Wow, I've always heard about that article in Wizard, but I never knew it would be this poorly written and thought out. They put next to no thought into that, it seems like a badly written fanfic. That is, in fact, exactly what it is. Goku throttles Superman into a nearby moon, and then lunges after him? Goku meets Superman in space by a LexCorp satelite?

The writer's knowledge of Dragonball is sorely lacking. Dragonball characters don't fight in outer space. It's been stated mid way through the manga that a Saiyan will not survive in the vacuum of space. Now this fact later becomes a bit debatable, but the point remains, it is not the norm for these characters to be flying around moons and fighting in the vastness of space.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:40 pm

I can think of only two real reasons why Goku and Superman would ever fight each other. First would be Goku realizing how strong Supes is and bugging him until he gave him a friendly "sparring match," which might evolve to a larger scale than initially intended, once one or both of them get into the groove. Second would be if they were FORCED to fight each other somehow, with the safety of their respective Earths on the line.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Artificial Human #887
Beyond Newbie

Post by Artificial Human #887 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:41 pm

FindKenshi wrote:Wow, I've always heard about that article in Wizard, but I never knew it would be this poorly written and thought out. They put next to no thought into that, it seems like a badly written fanfic. That is, in fact, exactly what it is. Goku throttles Superman into a nearby moon, and then lunges after him? Goku meets Superman in space by a LexCorp satelite?
And yet, people buy Wizard every month. This how the entire magazine is. I never saw that article until recently myself, and I was like ".........."

But then I remembered that every issue of Wizard is filled with stuff like that.
Aly. Professional nerd. [url=http://vegetas.livejournal.com]vegetas@livejournal[/url]

DB Cosplay 2009: The Great Saiyaman

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:32 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:I can think of only two real reasons why Goku and Superman would ever fight each other. First would be Goku realizing how strong Supes is and bugging him until he gave him a friendly "sparring match," which might evolve to a larger scale than initially intended, once one or both of them get into the groove. Second would be if they were FORCED to fight each other somehow, with the safety of their respective Earths on the line.
Haha Jump vs DC!

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:35 pm

Onikage725 wrote:Haha Jump vs DC!

Yeah, you think Goku vs Superman would be hardcore? No media in this universe would be able to contain the sheer awesomeness of Batman vs Kakashi.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:50 pm

I once wrote a Gokû v. Superman fan fic (link) in which Son was brought to the DCU by Luthor Corp. by accident and when Lex saw his power he set up a 'charity match' between Son and Superman hoping Son's power would kill Superman.

Additionally, CBUB once held a fight poll (the comments the voters make are really out there) with a simulated fight at the end. The fight was 'so explosive' and because their server crashed, no outcome was had.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:13 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Onikage725 wrote:Haha Jump vs DC!

Yeah, you think Goku vs Superman would be hardcore? No media in this universe would be able to contain the sheer awesomeness of Batman vs Kakashi.
Heh awesome. I'd want to see Etrigan vs Toguro, personally.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:17 pm

Luffy versus Plasticman and Elasticman! :D
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:44 pm

It doesn't matter how good a fighter Bruce Lee is, if he's fighting a tank.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:16 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:In regards to the scan from Wizard magazine why the hell would Goku care if there was an 8th Dragonball or not, you only need 7 to summon the Dragon.
Yeah, I have that very issue in the closet somewhere. I'll up it when I get a scanner.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

mAcChaos

Post by mAcChaos » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:45 pm

I want to see Cell VS Superman, or Buu.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:07 pm

desirecampbell wrote:It doesn't matter how good a fighter Bruce Lee is, if he's fighting a tank.
First off, if Solid Snake could make it happen, Bruce Lee has a halfway decent shot. I'm sure in a real world scenario, Bruce Lee's "Anti-tank" battle plan wouldn't involve bare-knuckle fisticuffs :p

Secondly, unless we're talking Superman-Prime (whom I hope with every fiber of my being they end during Final Crisis), Goku would most likely be fighting Post-Crisis Superman. The Earth-1 Superman of the Silver Age became the current (and less powerful) Superman back in '86. That would be about two years into Dragon Ball's run, right? Any contemporary battle of the two characters would likely feature Post-Crisis Superman. And any fight between the two would stop being fair sometime around Goku's completion of 100g gravity training.
Raki wrote:Yeah, I have that very issue in the closet somewhere. I'll up it when I get a scanner.
No need. That's what the image in the first post is.
Last edited by Onikage725 on Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:08 pm

Do we really have to go into this? It comes up once every few months.

DBZ vs other universe just cant be explained because Goku & co.'s strength is too off the charts to be measured.

mAcChaos

Post by mAcChaos » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:09 pm

Wait, so Superman is the one who's outmatched? I always thought Superman was just ridiculous, ie., had no flaws, so it was kind of a joke to begin with. Like, why a comic is there to begin with, I'm not sure, since I can't conceive of anything happening.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell