Anyone shed more light on this-> Goku vs Superman

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Onikage725
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Onikage725 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:13 pm

Victator Supreme wrote: Even though that story was published in 96. It was clearly out of continuity and set during the sixties. Also the "Pre Crisis" panel youy used was during a Spider-Man/Superman crossover that is again not in continuity.

I think this debate fails on a few levals. Number one being they live in two vastly different universes. We have no way of knowing which one is stronger. Superman has been thru so many changes thru the years. their are thousends of different versions. When people talk of pre crisis what they man is 60s Weisenger Superman. Because 70s and early 80s Superman is much more manageble power wise.
I really think "continuity" is a poor word to use when A) discussing a hypothetical crossover with another universe (be it Shonen Jump or Marvel) and B) talking about DC comics in general. We are talking about the same people who just randomly reinstated a multiverse and are currently re-writing Superman's backstory yet again, mainly because Alexander Luthor put on some spiffy gloves and started slamming planets together like some child-god's grade school science kit.
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:35 am

Whenever I think of the Superman Vs Goku scenario, I tend to not think of what they can do (how much weight they can press, what they are capable of distroying and whatnot), but rather focus on how much damage they can take.

I've seen very powerful Dragonball characters with broken limbs and beaten to the point where they just aren't capable of moving and on many occasions I've seen then exaust all of their energy and unable to continue fighting. Although, they have super-human speed and power they are still just human, several of which have been killed multiple times.

With Superman, I've seen him beaten and battered but can say that I've seen him with any broken bones from just getting smacked around. I have seen him knocked unconsious and even "killed". I've never known him to run out of energy in the normal sense.

If they did decide to take their light sparring seriously (and even if for some reason they became enemies they would still hold back a large ammount of their power to stat with), I beleive it would come down to who could withstand the most beatings and wear his opponent down, and Goku would be the first to tire out. especially if Goku isn't trying to kill his opponent.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Azure
Beyond Newbie

Post by Azure » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:28 pm

Goku could beat Supaman though.
www.voiceacting.co.uk / www.shonen.co.uk

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:47 pm

Azure wrote:Goku could beat Supaman though.
I don't know...Supaman looks pretty tough...Image

Pain

Post by Pain » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:14 pm

Azure wrote:Goku could beat Supaman though.
I had a feeling that someone would mention him.
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:30 pm

The DB fanboy in my needs to say...That story was so utterly ridiculous...Goku would never act in such a manner, it didn't sound like Babidi took control of him but rather just convinced him of something. =/

But anyway I don't know too much about Superman so I really cannot comment on this topic. But from what I've heard...Pre-Crisis Superman and Goku have a lot in common. Whenever there's a need for a new super ability, both characters magically have it all of the sudden. (ZOMGz, Goku's psychic)...I'd still be willing to bet on Goku though with his Teleportation I think he'd be able to out brute SM.

I think someone in this topic brought up DB's lack of consistency with strength. We know Toriyama showing Base Goku in the Buu Era not being able to handle 40 Tons, but logic proves that Goku would easily withstand that.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:32 pm

I think that was me. DB had trouble showing increased potency.

Just by way of example, the blast Kid Buu uses to destroy the earth is referred to by the heroes as huge and basically unblockable. Yet we've seen attacks of a visually larger scale that Goku and Vegeta (at their Buu Saga levels) would have no trouble stopping (ex- Freeza's Death Ball in the Bardock special, Goku's Genki Dama on Namek, Cell's Super Kamehameha). We've also seen much weaker characters prove themselves easily capable of destroying a celestial or solar body (i.e. moon or planet).

So... at what level of potency would we assume that Goku could do damage to a Kryptonian? Likewise, at what level of resistance would a Saiyan be comparable to a Kryptonian on endurance? I posted that pic of The Hulk slugging Pre-Crisis Superman with no effect, but we see that sort of thing in DBZ when a fighter is out of their league (i.e. Vegeta kicking Perfect Cell to no avail- yet if that same version of Cell were to fight Majin Vegeta the effect would probably be the exact opposite).

mAcChaos

Post by mAcChaos » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:40 pm

It depends how "dense" the attack is. The smaller ones have more energy packed in.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:19 pm

mAcChaos wrote:It depends how "dense" the attack is. The smaller ones have more energy packed in.
It also has to do with the potency of the user.

Tenshinhan can fire a dense Dodonpa at Dabura, and it wouldn't do that much damage.

What I'm talking about is more like the fight between the three Namek warriors and Freeza's men. Fairly low powered attacks were sufficient to clean house with the weaker thugs, but their strongest ki attacks could do no damage to Dodoria. Kuririn says something along the lines of them not being able to hurt him with attacks of "that level." Later on, Vegeta was able to overwhelm Dodoria with ease.

Think of it like a console RPG. Let's say Final Fantasy.

A lvl 90 character casting Fire will do more damage than a lvl 30 character casting Firaja. It is also likely that the lvl 30 character barely uses Fire, and will need attacks like Fira and Firaga in order to compete with local monsters.