Nothing can appropriately express my anger

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:14 pm

Vekurotto wrote:Well I don't like the fact that Chris Sabat thinks he's the one that said the line when Drummond said it originally and that's what the joke it supposed to be based upon :?. Then again...
I'm fairly certain he admitted that he wasn't the first person to do that line and it was "another guy" in the over 9,000 video. He didn't even know where it came from at first ...I can't blame him, something tells me Chris Sabat has better things to do other then googling internet meme's. The line was pretty much dropped upon him and he figured if it had such a high fan demand he may as well say it to make some kids happy you'd all be calling him a dick if he refused to say the line.

Edit: For the record, I do think putting said line out of the blue in their power point is a little over excessive and just thrown in for some cheap laughs. I don't know the context but if it was just thrown in before or after some Dragonball DVD commercials then yeah that's a little over the top.
Last edited by NeptuneKai on Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:19 pm

SSJ Helldog wrote:
Big Momma wrote:I feel like a newb asking this, but what internet thing?
"I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!" came from a Youtube video.
Yep. Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgAPFKDL6Sg

Raz

Post by Raz » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:22 pm

I never found the over 9000 line that funny, but I don't care if other people do. Rather than thinking this perpetuates the inconsistencies between the dub and the japanese version I think it highlights actual knowledgeable fandom based hysteria. Everyone I know that enjoyed that clip was a hardcore DBZ fan and knew it was totally off. It is also one of few scenes where Drummond may have over-acted unecessarily.

And Chris Sabat is an android created by FUNimation. If you think about it, it makes sense. I could write a six page essay on how that applies on so many levels.
[b]Wrath: The Cracked Lens[/b] [i]by Jacob W. Hoffman[/i]

Artificial Human #887
Beyond Newbie

Post by Artificial Human #887 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:37 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
I totally agree, "OH MY GOD PICCOLO HAS A MYSPACE LOL THIS IS THE BEST DBZ HUMOR EVAR!!!11...but this over 9,000 stuff...psh what garbage, what kind of intellectual would I be if I didn't hate it!? Quickly bring me my crumpets and tea as I look down upon you frivolous peasants and your mundane sense of humor...OH MY GOD DID YOU HEAR THAT MASTER ROSHI IS HOLDING NAPPA'S HEAD ROFLMAOLAWLZ!" It seems like a double standard that people can find something like DBZ Abridged funny yet loathe "over 9,000", I personally love both.
It's been going on for YEARS... it's just not funny anymore. Just as other pop-culture jokes become irrelevant and unfunny as the years pass, this has. Having random people scream "It's over 9,000" at you anytime you reference Dragon Ball (i have ONE keychain, and it happens all the ti,e) is just annoying.

"The balls are inert" used to be funny.

And eventually the DBZ Abridged stuff will get old.
Aly. Professional nerd. [url=http://vegetas.livejournal.com]vegetas@livejournal[/url]

DB Cosplay 2009: The Great Saiyaman

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:39 pm

Artificial Human #887 wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:
I totally agree, "OH MY GOD PICCOLO HAS A MYSPACE LOL THIS IS THE BEST DBZ HUMOR EVAR!!!11...but this over 9,000 stuff...psh what garbage, what kind of intellectual would I be if I didn't hate it!? Quickly bring me my crumpets and tea as I look down upon you frivolous peasants and your mundane sense of humor...OH MY GOD DID YOU HEAR THAT MASTER ROSHI IS HOLDING NAPPA'S HEAD ROFLMAOLAWLZ!" It seems like a double standard that people can find something like DBZ Abridged funny yet loathe "over 9,000", I personally love both.
It's been going on for YEARS... it's just not funny anymore. Just as other pop-culture jokes become irrelevant and unfunny as the years pass, this has. Having random people scream "It's over 9,000" at you anytime you reference Dragon Ball (i have ONE keychain, and it happens all the ti,e) is just annoying.

"The balls are inert" used to be funny.

And eventually the DBZ Abridged stuff will get old.
When it stops being funny it will die, apparently it is still funny to a ton of people and that's why it keeps being repeated, when it truly becomes as unpopular and unfunny as you think then it will indeed go away.

Raz

Post by Raz » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:41 pm

I think abridged has staying power, even the myspace joke has a bit more going for it than cheesey one liners tossed around non stop. Over 9000 and I want to carress these balls linehave been around for a very long time, their stay power is only based on the fact new fandom is in loop.

Artificial Human #887
Beyond Newbie

Post by Artificial Human #887 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:43 pm

I feel like people just hold onto it because they know there's always one person who's still going to find it funny. And from my experience, it's usually someone who doesn't know Dragon Ball very well.

There are much better Vegeta dub one liners than over 9,000.... but nobody cares about those.
Aly. Professional nerd. [url=http://vegetas.livejournal.com]vegetas@livejournal[/url]

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:48 pm

Artificial Human #887 wrote:I feel like people just hold onto it because they know there's always one person who's still going to find it funny. And from my experience, it's usually someone who doesn't know Dragon Ball very well.

Well if that was the case then we'd all still be quoting "Ace Ventura" and "The Mask."
There are much better Vegeta dub one liners than over 9,000.... but nobody cares about those.
Make a video about them! The only way to make them popular is to get them out there, nobody cares because nobody knows.
Raz wrote:I think abridged has staying power, even the myspace joke has a bit more going for it than cheesey one liners tossed around non stop. Over 9000 and I want to carress these balls linehave been around for a very long time, their stay power is only based on the fact new fandom is in loop.
I don't see why the fandom would be in loop and even if they were those lines will die regardless because that loop can not last forever.
Last edited by NeptuneKai on Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Artificial Human #887
Beyond Newbie

Post by Artificial Human #887 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:49 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:
Artificial Human #887 wrote:I feel like people just hold onto it because they know there's always one person who's still going to find it funny. And from my experience, it's usually someone who doesn't know Dragon Ball very well.

Well if that was the case then we'd all still be quoting "Ace Ventura" and "The Mask."

Clearly, we don't know the same people, because I deal with stuff like that all time. And I'll tell you, it's not funny.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:52 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:

Clearly, we don't know the same people, because I deal with stuff like that all time. And I'll tell you, it's not funny.
Wow I can't believe there are people who still quote those movies around your parts. :lol:
there isn't much I can say, either you got unlucky or I got lucky because I hear a line from those movies about one time a year.

Artificial Human #887
Beyond Newbie

Post by Artificial Human #887 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:54 pm

I work in a comic store... I deal with nerd culture! I get over-used quotes ALL THE TIME.

So when we have our tournaments on Sunday and all the gamers are screaming "OVER 9,000" JUST because they know I like Dragon Ball... I want to gouge my eyes out with spoon.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:57 pm

Artificial Human #887 wrote:I work in a comic store... I deal with nerd culture! I get over-used quotes ALL THE TIME.

So when we have our tournaments on Sunday and all the gamers are screaming "OVER 9,000" JUST because they know I like Dragon Ball... I want to gouge my eyes out with spoon.
In that situation I can see why the line would be sickening but when you deal with that culture as a profession you have to be prepared to take on those sorts of torments. I'm sure if you quit that job you would hear all of those cheesy quotes a lot less. I'm not saying quit your job or anything all I'm saying is your situation is sort of like Jane Goodall getting mad that she was seeing so many monkeys.

Genki-Dama
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Genki-Dama » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:15 pm

What a poorly made slide show. It looks like they spent 5 minutes in power point making the damn thing.

Raz

Post by Raz » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:27 pm

the fandom is in loop. There is like a cycle, people who saw Dragon Ball when it was aired, then the Ocean Dub, then the FUNimation dub and more rescently we will see more in these remastered deals.... then we have the movies so exposure is going to continue for the series to newer people.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:38 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Why are we getting angry over such a silly thing?

Let people have their laughs.
This. I hate it when people are all like "I am above such petty humor!" Lighten up. Online DBZ fans are probably the only people who hate It' Over 9000.
I am above so called humor that plays off a mistranslation.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

djkalteraphine
Regular

Post by djkalteraphine » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:44 pm

This is the most retarded debate I've ever seen. Humor is subjective, whatever, get over it. I chuckle at reference to all the old dub lines, be it "over 9,000!" or "Mondo cool" or my personal favorite, "Radical weaponry on Rigal Seven". Get over yourself, folks.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:50 pm

NeptuneKai wrote: It seems like a double standard that people can find something like DBZ Abridged funny yet loathe "over 9,000", I personally love both.
Well, I personally don't care for either. But humor works in mysterious ways, and it's hard to predict what any individual person will find funny. So I don't you think it's a double standard for someone to find one thing funny and not another; that's just the nature of the beast.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Storm
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:25 pm

I have to agree with DJ here. Yeah, FUNimation is being pretty silly here, but so what? Why be angry over it? Just move on with your lives, it's not like it's going to taint Dragon Ball or whatever. I don't really care, myself.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:38 pm

Yeah, there's a lot of FUNimation hate on this forum. At least be grateful how much FUNimation has done for the industry and fans
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:38 pm

Raki wrote:I am above so called humor that plays off a mistranslation.
I'm pretty sure the mistranslation has nothing to do with it. It comes from Drummond overacting so hard there's bite marks on the rocks.