Worst Fanfic/Manga you ever read?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Worst Fanfic/Manga you ever read?

Post by AnzuMazaki » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:35 pm

What is the worst fanfic or fanmanga that you ever read? Here's a list of my most hated fanfics.
1. Most Dragonball AF fics
The ones I hate the most are fanfics where the human Z fighters are ignord and are killed off while Bulma, Chichi , 18 and Mr Satan are the last humans born in the 730's left.I talked about it in one of my last threads

but this fanfic still makes me angry due to the above.

2. Bash fests

This one makes me sick, makes me gag due to the taddle tales of Yamcha being ANY Misandrist stereotype in order to make Vegeta better than him or Chichi abusing Goku so Goku,Vegeta, Usagi or a Mary Sue could go out together.
I am sick of reading stuff such as.

"Bulma felt her battered body fume at the stupid human, he pushed himself on to her but she got even angrier.

"You're with a different girl every night, you fucking wealking" she screamed at him "fuck you, say good bye to your manhood, asshole"

She klicked Yamcha in the balls and ran off crying to the gravity Chamber, she knocked on the door and Vegeta opened.

"What do you want, Woman?" he growled

"YAMCHA DID (insert misandrist crime here) TO ME AGAIN!!!" sobbed the beauty, crying onto the saiyan prince's shirt."

or something more n00bish and stupidly spelt such as
""due I'm beter than you, cell, I'm betre than guko" said yumcho ae he flexed his ulgy earth misles. cel hated him so much that he balsted the dbum erthling into the nxt dimanson"

Here are some Chichi examples

"The old bitch pushed Goku into the wall
"I HATE YOU YOU NEVER LET GOHAN DO HIS HOMEWORK!!" she screamed in that annoying tone.

"You forced me to get married and live with you with your tyranic lies, I never loved yo" sobbed Goku.

"GET OUT YOU ASSHPOLE OR I WILL USE MY FRYPAN ON YOU." screamed the sick bitch.

Goku ran out and rant into his Vegeta's arms."

or there's this

""let mi boyfired go, or i wil panstch u" said saila mon as she used her mrainbo heat attack on the skanc"

I feel sorry for Yamcha and Chichi becayuse they get shit like this, and they are not the only ones who get this, Mr Satan, Chiaotzu, Roshi, Pan and others get this too.

So what fanfics do you hate?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:57 pm

That fake script that tried to pass itself off as the real script for the live action movie....geh, it made me squirm with discomfort. :cry:

I don't play name games (not to mention there's very few if any dbz fanfics that come down the pipe in general) but there are a few things I tend to avoid:

-Mary-sues/Gary-stus
-high school AU fics (if its something logical like Gohan in high school--which actually happened, I'll give it a look though)
-bad grammar/bad spelling
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:17 pm

AF, AF, AF (includes any Dragonball continuation letters). Can no-one think of a story that doesn't involve

-An old enemy/relative of an old enemy returning.
-A new Super Saiyan level.
-Everyone worthless except Goku?

Goddammit, people, you make GT look good.

Also, fics that spring a non-canon pairing on you. I was reading one once with great grammar and spelling, good fight scenes, a reasonable storyline, then BAM Goku/Vegeta buttsex.

Another one is anything using random Japanese.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:22 pm

Dragonball AF for the most part. I don't really read fan stories at all, so I don't have any other ones to hate.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Daburcor
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daburcor » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:24 pm

I hate fan fiction. PERIOD.

If you want to write, why not make up your own characters/story? It's never any good.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv5j_vmyOaQ]There's many things I'll never know for sure...[/url]

Karrit
Beyond Newbie

Post by Karrit » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:39 pm

The worst one I read was where Goku had a fetish with his toilet. Very disturbing...

I also don't like ones of Vegeta being a soft-hearted lover. I think he can be gentle, but not mellow on Goku's level.

And another the hate is the fanfics that make Goku dumber than a box or rocks. He's just simple and naive.
Last edited by Karrit on Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:53 pm

Peter Chimaera should have wrote:"HE GOING TO KILL US" said the Nappa
"I will shoot at him" said Vegeta and he fired the ki blast. Goku blasteded at him and tried to blew him up. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.
"No! I must kill the aleins" he shouted
King kai said "No, Goku. You are the aliens"
And then Goku was a seiyan.
Unfortunately he's never written a DBZ fanfic...

saiyanprincess
Regular

Post by saiyanprincess » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:54 am

It would have to be fanfics where some twisted crazy person writes about Vegeta and Pann getting together.

I am actually scared the amount that are published up on fanfiction.net :shock:
[b]"Ok, use your instincts Kakarott. Right or Left? (Hmmm... I'd have to say... left.) Good. Then I'm going right!" (Vegeta to Goku as they try to find their way to free the others inside Buu - Episode: The Innards of Buu)[/b]

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:15 am

I've read some real rancid little ones. but the most memorable was this fic during the Freezer fight where a SSJ4 girl was randomly there. And then Krillian killed both her and Freezer by accident with a kienzan. The story continues (in the Underworld) with a love triangle between Pic and Veg over said random sayiajin girl, which I read in hopes that they would brawl with each other over a girl. I was of course totally jipped because the girl refused to let Pic fight because Veg was "too strong", and she would fight in his place. Cheated, this is when I stopped reading because nothing even vaugely good could come of this anymore.

I like to imagine that Krillian then became tall and buff and adored like Mr. Satan by the world as a great hero, because aparently he was the strongest character ever. I picture him in a red corvette driving down the highway with a full head of hair and a car full of beautiful women..... It makes me giggle.

In general I love fanfiction- I've been writing it for about nine years and I've had a lot of fun with it. But like anything in life there is good and -bad- out there.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:32 am

I saw one where Bulma, of all people, decided to become a martial artist and near instantly mastered teleportation without locking onto ki, then proceeded to fight the Saiyans, Ginyu Force, and Freeza.
Trunks & Goten forever

saiyanprincess
Regular

Post by saiyanprincess » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:50 am

Thanos6 wrote:I saw one where Bulma, of all people, decided to become a martial artist and near instantly mastered teleportation without locking onto ki, then proceeded to fight the Saiyans, Ginyu Force, and Freeza.
That is just plain bonkers!

Admittingly I think one of the most humorous ones I have read, is a Vegeta and Trunks fatherly son fanfic, in which Vegeta is forced up the school as Trunks has beaten up another child.
It was so funny it bought tears to my eyes.

Vegeta's response to the teacher. "You bring me all the way up here, to tell me my son WON a fight."

I will have to try and find the link for you all :wink: For once Vegeta was really in character. It would have made a great filler in the anime!
[b]"Ok, use your instincts Kakarott. Right or Left? (Hmmm... I'd have to say... left.) Good. Then I'm going right!" (Vegeta to Goku as they try to find their way to free the others inside Buu - Episode: The Innards of Buu)[/b]

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:37 pm

I haven't read too many fan-fics, but I have read quite a few fan manga, and I have to say the worst one if Dragonball RN. Yes it has great artwork and coloring (some of the best out of all of the fan manga I've read) but the story is so bad it really ruins the entire series. It is nothing but old characters and is totally setting up for another "Goku comes back to save everyone" ending...not to mention it is a continuation of GT, which sets it back from the start.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:49 pm

Basically, it's the crap out there that has cut down on my reading in recent years, but generally if something is an actual improvement--i.e. focus is given to somebody who is not Gokû like say...his sons--then I'm a happy panda.

Were I not so lazy I'd write more of my own actually. Maybe I can do something with this ten page plot summary I've been working on the past few days...
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:52 pm

Broly fanfics.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:06 pm

Daburcor wrote:I hate fan fiction. PERIOD.

If you want to write, why not make up your own characters/story? It's never any good.
What makes you think just becuase someone does fanfiction that they don't write their own stuff too? I do both. Why not write fanfiction? It's no different than fanart. There's plenty of awesome fanfiction out there. Claiming all fanfiction is bad because you've only seen bad ones is like claiming all manga is bad because you've only seen the bad ones.

Anyway, I don't mind a fanfic so long as it
1) Is well written
2) Doesn't break the feel of the series too much
3) Doesn't do really odd crap without offering a plausible explanation

It's due to those above three reasons that I can read something like Kingdom Come without too much issue since it's largely in an AU. Though the characters from the series-verse are still off without any reasons given but I can write that off as just being another odd AU thing. (Though, even with all of that, I do skim the Yaoi, thank-you very much. I do not need to be reading about Yamcha and Vegeta or 17 and Trunks or Gohan and Goten getting it on, thank-you. I'll just stick to the action.)

The only fanfictions I really don't like are the ones that tottally OOC the characters without any reason (such as stories that are supposedly set in the series but feature womanizer-Yamcha, softy-Vegeta, or anything similar) and those that are really horribly written, either from a spelling/grammer standpoint or a plot standpoint.

Case in point: I saw a fic... somewhere once that featured... I think it was Pan's son. Maybe it was her brother.... Either way, Goku trained him and stuff for a bit and by the time he was 7 he went from a moderately strong non-trasfoming character to an SSJ4 that could trounce Goku and all the enemies and everyone relied on him to save them. It was like the fanfic version of GT, only not starring Goku and ten times worse.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

Daburcor
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daburcor » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:24 pm

What makes you think just because someone does fan fiction that they don't write their own stuff too?

Never said it did.

There's plenty of awesome fan fiction out there. Claiming all fan fiction is bad because you've only seen bad ones is like claiming all manga is bad because you've only seen the bad ones.

As a general rule; When everything I've seen in a particular subject is terrible, I brand said subject as terrible. Harsh? Maybe, but it's done me fine thus far.
I've seen LOTS fan fiction of all kinds from all sorts of different fan groups and they always feel either: A.) Painfully forced or B.) Like a bad parody or unintentional joke.
While some have been better than others, they've all fallen into one or both of those categories. I've always believed in giving things a fair shake, and fan fiction is no exception. It has had ample opportunity to impress me and (thus far) has failed. That's all there is to it. Take what I've said as you like. If it offends you, well, I honestly don't care. I don't agree with you; you obviously don't agree with me; and neither is likely to change the other's mind anytime soon.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv5j_vmyOaQ]There's many things I'll never know for sure...[/url]

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:15 pm

Daburcor wrote:What makes you think just because someone does fan fiction that they don't write their own stuff too?

Never said it did.
I was replying in refrence to the 'why not make up your own characters/story?' bit of you post which implies that if someone is making fanfiction then they're not making original stuff.

But, that aside as a matter of how one reads what was said, there's also the fact that just because something is a fanfic doesn't mean it doesn't have original characters or story to it. Case-in-point being my AH series which features a lot of original characters and, for Sagas 6 and 7, original villains, both of which require original plots (or plot elements at the very least).
I don't agree with you; you obviously don't agree with me; and neither is likely to change the other's mind anytime soon.
I don't know. I think I might be able to change your mind. Note that not all of these are finished. Lesse. We'll do DB related stuff first. For that there is:

GT Revised by Kaboom. Self-explanatory I think.

The Kakarrotto Saga, by claudius. Part of a crossover series featuring New X-men characters and Tenchi in the DBZ universe. Some elements are a bit of a stretch to accept following character personalities from the series but it's still an entertaining read.

DBZ/Sailor Moon: Spector of Revenge, by Grey Wolf1. Yes, a DBZ and Sailormoon crossover. And it's actually good. Sadly, it hasn't been updated in ages and I don't think it'll ever be finished.

Wish for the Past, by Burenda. One of my favorites. Goten ends up in the past, accidently saving Bardock (and Planet Vegeta) from Freeza. Chaos and comedy follow, especially after Trunks follows Goten back.

The Return, by The Smooster. Great action story set 500 years after the show following the descenants of Goku and Vegeta.

As for non-DB fanfictions....

Above the Shadow, by Geal is a really good Shadow of the Colossus fic from the POV of the Colossi. Sadly, also not updated in a while and possible not to be finished.

Living Like a Disaster, by Hello Captain and Shakahnna is a fairly humours Resident Evil fanfic. I've not finished it quite yet (only up to chapter 10 so far), and it is a bit odd, but so far I've enjoyed it.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarine of Time, by Arxane is an awesome novelization of the game. But very slow on updates. Nearly two years now, so it may not be getting finished.

The Ulimate Cruise, by Pivitor is a Teen Titans/One Piece crossover story and damned good. And, what's more, it's finished. w00t.

The Rival, by Jade R. Raven is a fun little Naruto parody of "The Raven" I figured I'd toss in to round this out.

I'm sure, in all of those, you can find something you like. 8)
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

caejones
I Live Here

Post by caejones » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:48 am

Searching for good fanfiction is ... not incredibly fun.

My first rule is to ignore anything with pairings mentioned in the summary, especially if they're mentiond through abreviations (txp bxg etc). Sometimes fics with romance as the main theme might actually work out well--but that's ... ur... I'm not going to look for those.
(Though I found this one fic where the author decided to just put the Son and Briefs families in capsule corp, bring back Mirai Trunks, and make every single character gay... and then give Chibi Trunks a class assignment to write about his family. I can't even decide if it's good or not... but the ensuing parent teacher conference was amusing nonetheless...).

And then there are fics summarized with "How can Goku and the gang handle this mysterious new threat?" and "What's up with this new saiyan?". Not looking good in the creativity department...

I don't much mind the "resurrect dead villains" point if it can be pulled off... but dang, taking an exhausted plot device and making it not suck is hard. (Thus implying I've tried... :oops: )

Though? If we put characters in believable situations that, while touched upon in the series, aren't the norm... Hmm, could be interesting.
Basically, I don't like action oriented fics that are basically like Sparking! -- taking a generic movie plot and slapping new character models on it and randomly selecting attack names... In fact, I think I made a program to randomly generate this style of fic (thogh admitedly way more simplistic...). Ur... apparently I neglected to put it online... but I was going to....

An while I can apreciate comedy, I don't actively seek it out... so ... yeah... fics that are clearly written as poor jokes can b a bit turn-off-ish. (Though I must admit that Chibi Vegeta's Handy Dandy Notebook was entertaining for a little while...).

And then there's DoraMouse, whose unfinished fanfics leave me wanting to gather the dragonballs to wish them completed. (Though I notice what appears to be a strong dislike for Bulma... XD). Capsule Corpse... seems the most out of place, but that's what happens I guess when you mix DBZ and complex murder mystery (and leave it unfinished! :cry: ). Then there's Blasphemy, Which my be the most awesome introduction to most of the human cast pre-db I've ever found. Oh, wait, it's the only one. But... still! It's ridiculously awesome, although the way it's setup iitially left me originally apprehensive concerning the characters... so far I can see their portrayals in Blasphemy leading directly to their pesonalities when we first see them in the series.
And then there's About Time, which uses the time travel weirdness and the beginnings of the Jinzouningen attacks to elaborate on a crapton of forgotten DB Mythology in an awesome way (And it starts the day that most everyone is pwn'd by 17 and 18, so it's not a dark angst "ZOMG TRUUUNKS!" fic.). Oh, and this one's actually finished! :D
(Also, I just found out by looking at DoraMouse's YuGiO fic that he/she didn't have access to TV at the time he/she was most active, which ... makes sense, since About Time appears to follow the manga while ignoring the anime. Still, though, DoraMouse runs with the "Yamcha as baseball star" idea... elaborated on thoroughly in a "retell the whole series from Yamcha's PoV" story...).

Umm... Yeah, this post turned into a "I guess I'm officially a fanboy of this particular fanfic author" advertisement, so nya...

[edit] I just realized the irony in what led to me posting in this thread. I started reading DM's YuGiO fic, and was continually distracted by Anzu's name and came here to see if it matched AnzuMasaki. :D Because I've until now made a habit of not knowing much about YuGiO...[/edit]
Dr Gero, in Budokai 2 wrote:Go, my Saiba Rangers!
Akira Toriyama, in Son Goku Densetsu wrote:You really can’t go by rumors (laughs).

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:16 am

Oh, how did I almost forget? Some of the worst fics I've read have, sadly, been Trunks/Goten ones...

I won't dignify these stories with links.

There's one where Trunks gets a concussion. It's important that you don't go to sleep until your concussion has been treated, and that's the only thing this fic gets right. Bulma begins to treat him, but WHOOPS! She has a stockholder's meeting for Capsule Corporation she forgot all about. Rather than phoning and telling them she'll be late, she decides the well-being of her son is not important and rushes off to a meeting that could last who knows how long, telling Goten (who of course is there) to make sure Trunks stays awake. Goten decides the best way to do this is to give Trunks a blowjob. Mind you, at this point they're just friends, they haven't confessed their true feelings to each other. They do so as Goten continues his "treatment," never mind that having an orgasm makes the average guy want to go right to sleep. Trunks climaxes, of course, right as Bulma comes back into the room. Insert punchline from Goten.

There's a series of fics in which Trunks, Goten, and Marron are in a polyamorous relationship with one another, and Trunks is (as he often is in badfic) mischaracterized as a cold, unfeeling bastard who is only using them both for the sex, leading them both to break up with him and stay only with each other, and him spending the rest of his life alone.

There's one where a jilted ex-girlfriend wishes Trunks to be turned into a powerless human female. After this traumatizing event, does his lifelong best friend comfort him wtih soft reassurances that everything will be all right? No, Goten out and out mocks him. Eventually, of course, Trunks wishes himself back to normal, but then turns the wish around on Goten. And then Goten wishes HIMSELF back to normal next time, but then accidentally wishes this on GOHAN, showing the authoress had let the plot run completely out of control. Eventually things return to normal, but only after much angst, more out of character bitter arguments, wangsty whining, and Trunks and Goten each getting pregnant by each other before our two male-again-main-characters stay together (I have no idea why Gohan was involved in this plot).

There's more, but that's my Unholy Trinity of bad Goten/Trunks fanfic. On the bright side, they've inspired me to write my own to show it can be done better (well, bright side if you think mine don't suck, heh).
Trunks & Goten forever

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:34 am

haha Oh man, those sound terrible.
Trans rights, now!