Anime ending

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Anime ending

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:36 pm

How is it that DB/DBZ managed to keep the same ending for the anime when it was still airing when the manga was still being published? Shows like Hellsing, Rurouni Kenshin, and most recently Inuyasha, were forced to change the anime's ending because the manga wasnt complete. Was volume 42 of the manga already finished by the time it was time to air those specific episodes? I know for the most part, the manga was still being published when DBZ was airing.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:42 pm

The last tankoubon of DB was released 9 August 1995, which means it was published in Jump earlier that summer, probably. The last episode of DBZ didn't end until late 95 / 1996 (I forget exactly). With DBGT starting 7 February 1996...

Well, it was close between the manga and the anime, but it never got ahead of the manga.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:47 pm

VegettoEX wrote:The last tankoubon of DB was released 9 August 1995, which means it was published in Jump earlier that summer, probably.
More specifically, the final DB chapter was published in May 1995, while the final episode of DBZ aired on 31 January 1996. That's a space of nearly 8 months where the anime was still running and the manga was not. You know what that means? The "fighting-worms-and-evil-images-of-friends-in-Buu's-head" filler was made just to spite viewers. :twisted:
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:52 pm

What episode was the anime on when the last chapter was released?

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:02 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:What episode was the anime on when the last chapter was released?
Right in the couple of episodes in the early 260s just before Goku went back to Earth, as I recall.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:58 pm

Any idea if the manga ending caused the viewing figures to drop or grow? Did they mention it at all on TV?
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:40 am

SaiyaJedi wrote:More specifically, the final DB chapter was published in May 1995, while the final episode of DBZ aired on 31 January 1996. That's a space of nearly 8 months where the anime was still running and the manga was not. You know what that means? The "fighting-worms-and-evil-images-of-friends-in-Buu's-head" filler was made just to spite viewers. :twisted:
Exactly how long does it take to produce an episode, though? From what I've studied of the animation process (many, many years ago), it could take 6-8 months to produce an episode of some shows. But I can't say I know anything about how long it took Toei to produce DBZ episodes.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:39 am

I think anime has a quicker turnaround period than western animation (due to the generally fewer frames of animation used). Not sure though.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:05 pm

Inu Yasha animation finally ended? Thank goodness!

Hellsing is published in Young King Comics, like Trigun...and Excel Saga...and since that's not a weekly bit like JUMP, it would be kind of odd having the show jump ahead of the manga so the show merely ends. And besides, since YKC are MOSTLY older readers, the shows tend to be the late-nighters that otaku watch....or me when I don't feel like going to f'ing bed until 4AM.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:12 pm

PsyLiam wrote:I think anime has a quicker turnaround period than western animation (due to the generally fewer frames of animation used). Not sure though.
I'm also assuming that anime doesn't have to take time by shipping overseas for some work to be done.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:25 pm

omae no kaasan wrote:Inu Yasha animation finally ended? Thank goodness!

Hellsing is published in Young King Comics, like Trigun...and Excel Saga...and since that's not a weekly bit like JUMP, it would be kind of odd having the show jump ahead of the manga so the show merely ends. And besides, since YKC are MOSTLY older readers, the shows tend to be the late-nighters that otaku watch....or me when I don't feel like going to f'ing bed until 4AM.
Inuyasha's ending in September, I believe. And yeah, I'm pretty sick of it by now too. The pacing of the show was terrible. Is Young King Comics monthly? It seems like Hellsing volume 6 took forever to come out. And is Trigun Maximum still being published? Not to get off topic...

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:50 am

Sorry to contribute to off-topicness, but Trigun Maximum is still being published monthly in YKO. The release schedule for the tankoubon is extremely slow for some reason, though....they contain about six chapters each, so theoretically they should be released every six months or so, but #9 came out last November or something and #10 still isn't out yet. Very frustrating for people like me who don't have access to YKO and can only read other people's summaries of what's happening during the typical long waits between releases of the tankoubon.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:11 pm

I never understood how Trigun Maximum could exist. How in the name of Kami-sama and Popo is Wolfwood alive?!?
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:45 pm

The S wrote:I never understood how Trigun Maximum could exist. How in the name of Kami-sama and Popo is Wolfwood alive?!?
Because it came before the anime and its not finished yet? Yeh those bastards who made the anime should die for killing off Wolfwood...AND Legato. 8)

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:03 pm

Actually, I liked it better when I thought Wolfwood was dead. He was a cool character and all, but his passing really shocked the Hell out of me. And his speech he gave in the church was just... magical...
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:18 pm

Izlude wrote:Yeh those bastards who made the anime should die for killing off Wolfwood...AND Legato.
I disagree about Legato. Dying just to fuck with Vash's mind might just tie him with Itachi for coolest evil anime character because of their use of abilities.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:13 pm

Um... quick... back on topic... um... um... my dad calls Dragon Ball "Drag Your Balls"... um... (runs away)

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:01 am

When Wolfwood died, thousands of fangirls around the world cried.

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:49 pm

Isn't that good?

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D

Post by omae no kaasan » Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:15 pm

Right, precisely why the eva manga come out when there's a blue moon. Battle Royale on the other hand comes out at a healthy pace over there, not that it is YKC mind you...