Weekly Jump Release Dates

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Weekly Jump Release Dates

Post by Hujio » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:34 pm

I've been working on this feature for Kanzentai for along time now, and I think it is finally time to unveil it. First, I'd like to note that at the time of this post, this feature has yet to be put up on Kanzentai, but I'll be posting it on the main page sometime tomorrow (8/14). So this is what I'd guess you call a sneak-preview. I believe the only ones who have seen it are Herms and myself.

Anyway, to my knowledge, something like this has never been done before. I've created what I believe to be a completely accurate list of the release dates for all of the Weekly Shounen Jump issues while DragonBall was in serialization. I'd love to hear any comments, corrections, or critiques. I've read through it, but if you notice any typos or mistakes, please let me know. Enjoy!

Kanzentai Feature: Weekly Jump Release Dates

Also, for those that like this feature, there is a companion feature that will go along with it. I won't give anything away about it, but I will say that it is almost ready for release.
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:52 pm

You guys are killing me, here... :D
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:55 pm

This is one of the greatest things ever...I mean it. Between Kanzentai and Daizex, there is no need for anymore Dragonball websites. Typhoon859 can go to hell.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:56 pm

VegettoEX wrote:You guys are killing me, here... :D
Resistance is futile!

Anyway, I know I said this before Hujio, but that thing is the bee's knees.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:00 pm

VegettoEX wrote:You guys are killing me, here... :D
Well, apparently I have a lot of hard work to do on a Daizenshuu 1 feature... ;)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:04 pm

The two sites should just merge. :lol: Just think of it 'kanzentai DaizenshûEX'!

Throw in ToT and you'd have 'Temple o' kanzentai DaizenshûEX'...a little much, maybe?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Herms

Post by Herms » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:16 pm

JulieYBM wrote:The two sites should just merge. :lol: Just think of it 'kanzentai DaizenshûEX'!
Dai Kanzen-Shuutai EX! Which would come out to roughly "Great complete disgrace EX", so maybe we should go with something else...(OK, so shuutai only means "disgrace" when written with different kanji than the ones used to write the "shuu" in daizenshuu and the "tai" in kanzentai, but whatever)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:18 pm

You never cease to amaze me, Kanzentai. :mrgreen:

I have much love for those little thumbnail images of the covers that pop up on the calenders.

EDIT: I wish there was a place to see bigger versions of some of those covers; I've never seen the "Goku, Chi-Chi, and Gohan skiing" or the Son family xmas images before.

Are those in the daizenshuu as well?

SECOND EDIT: Also lovin' the variety on these covers. Unlike Viz's version, the Japanese Shounen Jump seems to give all their titles equal chance to shine on the covers instead of letting one series monopolize said covers.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:28 pm

They're in Daizenshuu 1, but they're not much bigger than those I found online. I wish I could find all of the original Jump issues with DragonBall on the cover, but I can't have everything I want.
Chuquita wrote:Also lovin' the variety on these covers. Unlike Viz's version, the Japanese Shounen Jump seems to give all their titles equal chance to shine on the covers instead of letting one series monopolize said covers.
You mean Naruto?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:41 pm

Hujio wrote:They're in Daizenshuu 1, but they're not much bigger than those I found online. I wish I could find all of the original Jump issues with DragonBall on the cover, but I can't have everything I want.
Chuquita wrote:Also lovin' the variety on these covers. Unlike Viz's version, the Japanese Shounen Jump seems to give all their titles equal chance to shine on the covers instead of letting one series monopolize said covers.
You mean Naruto?

Yes. >_>
(Though they appear to finally be letting up a tiny bit; Bleach's Ichigo got the main spot on the latest cover if I remember correctly. )
I silently cheered for Ichigo when I saw it. ^^;

Variety and fair treatment for all titles in a manga magazine is a good thing. :D
(And something Viz USED to do back when they first started their version)
You don't give only one of your kids ice cream for dessert and give the others mud and slop just because they're not your "favorite". :?
(Which is why I gave up on Naruto in the first place; Sasuke was getting all the ice cream. Also, I suspected an author-insert and/or Mary Sue. )

Anyways, sad to hear there aren't larger images available. I really like stuff where we have the whole Son family involved, there's not enough Toriyama artwork out there like that and that's why I was happy to see those shots.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:48 am

This is an awesome feature you have made Hujio, it has needed to be done for so long and I am glad that you guys will get the credit of doing it first!

I thought I'd point out a few grammar errors that I found like you asked:

-In the third sentence of the very first paragraph the word "its" should be spelt "it's", with the apostrophe, since it is a contraction.

-In the last sentence of the second paragraph the word "weeks" should be spelt "week's", with the apostrophe, since it is showing possession towards the week.

-In the last sentence of the third paragraph you said "fans to had wait" when it should read "fans had to wait".

-In the first sentence of the first paragraph under 1988 you called "Mystical Great Adventure" the "thrid" feature film, when I remember it to be the "third" feature film.

Also, I noticed that you spelt Toriyama instead of Toryama. I am not saying that you are wrong (you are the expert), but it just stuck out to me.

I hope that I didn't sound too nit-picky there, but for a site that means and strives for perfection you're worth it!. :wink:
Last edited by SSj_Rambo on Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

shotkeeper
Regular

Post by shotkeeper » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:38 am

Darn it. I love you Huijo and I love you Herms.

Thank you for your effort

It's like Kanzentai handles everything Dragonball Japan and a lot more stuff. And that Daizex handles mostly USA releases. If you guys would've merged, it would be sick. EVERTHING related to Dragonball would be unleashed. But damn, I would have three guys on me correcting my posts lol.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:44 am

This is truly impressive! Seriously, now THAT'S dedication! Outstanding work, this is truly something for the ages!

Also, if you merge I vote for the name "Kanzenshuu EX"! :P

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:51 am

Thanks to this guide I have been able to assuredly say that, IMO, that Weekly Shonen Jump issue #17 1993 features the strangest DBZ related cover of them all...thank you!

Timo
Regular

Post by Timo » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:26 am

Wow, looks like DB meets Hokuto no Ken. I rike it. :D

Herms

Post by Herms » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:30 am

SSj_Rambo wrote:Also, I noticed that you spelt Toriyama instead of Toryama. I am not saying that you are wrong (you are the expert), but it just stuck out to me.
His name is "Toriyama", not "Toryama". tori is Japanese for bird, which is why sometimes he's drawn himself as a bird (mostly early on), and yama means "mountain".
shotkeeper wrote:Darn it. I love you Huijo and I love you Herms.
Well, I didn't actually work on this one at all, but your love is appreciated.

Hujio

Post by Hujio » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:29 am

SSj_Rambo wrote:I thought I'd point out a few grammar errors that I found like you asked:
Fixed! Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:43 pm

Wow, that's amazing. Where did you manage to get your hands on all those cover images?
Chuquita wrote:Are those in the daizenshuu as well?
Yes, all the Shonen Jump covers with Dragon Ball featured somewhere on them are found in the Daizenshuu.
Chuquita wrote:SECOND EDIT: Also lovin' the variety on these covers. Unlike Viz's version, the Japanese Shounen Jump seems to give all their titles equal chance to shine on the covers instead of letting one series monopolize said covers.
You think Viz Jump is bad? Take a gander at what Marvel did with their flagship character back in the mid-40s:
http://www.comics.org/covers.lasso?seri ... 50&show=50

You can barely tell those covers apart.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:53 pm

Adamant wrote:You think Viz Jump is bad? Take a gander at what Marvel did with their flagship character back in the mid-40s:
http://www.comics.org/covers.lasso?seri ... 50&show=50

You can barely tell those covers apart.
"Hey man, I got a hold of this REALLY old Marvel comic book. I think it may be rare and valuable or something."
"Really? What's it about?"
"I 'dunno, but it's got Human Torch on the cover."
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:55 pm

Man am I ever glad anime made it's way over to America, did you see how dull those covers were? I know that comics like Superman are classics among many comic book fans, but I just can't get over the fact that most of DC's comics are incredibly boring and dull. Sorry if I offended any Superman fans but I hate the franchise, he's probably the worst super hero in my opinion. Now I'm rambling way off topic, back on topic then, nice job on this guys.

-edit- This is off topic, but the forum has been dead lately whats going on?
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ