DBZ Season 7 faux remastered cover?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:01 am

I would LOVE for the next set to come out in November; I'm not really sure why they are adding so much time between sets. I watch a season set in like 2 days then theres a looong three months before the next.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:16 am

It normally takes me about a week to watch a season set. I typically watch a disc at a time.
But yeah, it would be great if two sets come out within two months, we need to get this over with, so Funi can start working on there "extra awesome super dupper really really remastered, not joking this time, ultimate uber Blu-Ray season set releases!!!!!"
If Funi does do Blu-Ray season sets, the whole series better be on like 4 discs, released all at once for like 150-200 bucks total.

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:16 pm

omegacwa wrote: If Funi does do Blu-Ray season sets, the whole series better be on like 4 discs, released all at once for like 150-200 bucks total.
That defeats the purpose of High Def. Just because it has high storage, why would you want 480p video on it? Either way, if there is a BD release, they would probably sell at a high price, ala LOST or Smallville. Heroes Season 1 is 70.00 on Amazon for the BD Release.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:55 pm

Krycek7o2 wrote:
omegacwa wrote: If Funi does do Blu-Ray season sets, the whole series better be on like 4 discs, released all at once for like 150-200 bucks total.
That defeats the purpose of High Def. Just because it has high storage, why would you want 480p video on it? Either way, if there is a BD release, they would probably sell at a high price, ala LOST or Smallville. Heroes Season 1 is 70.00 on Amazon for the BD Release.
Me, personally, would rather have a film or television series produced in standard def be release on BluRay with as many episodes as possible. I mean, yeah, you could have the picture upscaled for HD but if given the option I'll rather have more content. More content rather than fake HD.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:22 pm

omegacwa wrote:It normally takes me about a week to watch a season set. I typically watch a disc at a time.
But yeah, it would be great if two sets come out within two months, we need to get this over with, so Funi can start working on there "extra awesome super dupper really really remastered, not joking this time, ultimate uber Blu-Ray season set releases!!!!!"
If Funi does do Blu-Ray season sets, the whole series better be on like 4 discs, released all at once for like 150-200 bucks total.
Yeah, me too! Sometimes two weeks to watch one box set.
Three months would be better so I can catch up. :(
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:24 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: More content rather than fake HD.
...ooookay. What is "fake" HD, pray tell?

-Corey

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:33 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:

-Corey
I suppose he means something that wasn't meant or produced specifically for it.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:36 pm

Krycek7o2 wrote:
Interestingly enough, I've been fooling around with some 1080P Encoding. BluRay disc max bitrate for Video is 40 Mbits/sec...

I'm able to get the following results using only 4 Mbits/sec (1/10th of BluRay and 1/2 of DVD's bitrate).

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o150 ... encode.jpg

I know its JPEG, but still... it shows we can get good quality at low bitrates if done properly. Knowing FUNI, they could probably put a lot of well encoded episodes on a disc. But seeing as how they are putting 2 movies on a single disc, I don't think it'll ever happen. They have had how many chances for a competent release? I guess we could always hope for a DragonBox release on BluRay in the US, but FUNI has shown they don't really give a damn (plus, we'd have to rely on a competent encode too).

Anyone with the BluRay movies tell us was the average bitrate is on those discs?
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Forgotten Hero
Advanced Regular

Post by Forgotten Hero » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:51 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:

-Corey
lol, more like fake images Funimation wants us to believe we are e getting...
The remaster does run on HD but the discs are not HD right?
Gohan: "You're a Buddhist." Kuririn: "A hungry Buddhist!"

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:04 pm

ect5150 wrote:
Krycek7o2 wrote:
Interestingly enough, I've been fooling around with some 1080P Encoding. BluRay disc max bitrate for Video is 40 Mbits/sec...

I'm able to get the following results using only 4 Mbits/sec (1/10th of BluRay and 1/2 of DVD's bitrate).

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o150 ... encode.jpg

I know its JPEG, but still... it shows we can get good quality at low bitrates if done properly. Knowing FUNI, they could probably put a lot of well encoded episodes on a disc. But seeing as how they are putting 2 movies on a single disc, I don't think it'll ever happen. They have had how many chances for a competent release? I guess we could always hope for a DragonBox release on BluRay in the US, but FUNI has shown they don't really give a damn (plus, we'd have to rely on a competent encode too).

Anyone with the BluRay movies tell us was the average bitrate is on those discs?
Depends on the movie and the studio. Most Warner titles hover around 30-35. Disney between the lowest 25 to a high 40. I would say more, but I have way too many titles to discuss bitrates from. Disney usually goes all out on Video. All studios do not use the MPEG format either, they have moved to the Industry standard of AVC and VC-1 which use less space than the MPEG format.

Another Issue you should throw in their use of Dolby TRUEHD. This would add significant space to the final product. FUNI already uses that a definitive audio codec.

They can release the set on BD, but why bother with the series. The movies and specials would do just fine. By the way, what I stated before was for DVD quality release on BD, which would be irrelevant.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:16 pm

Krycek7o2 wrote:They can release the set on BD, but why bother with the series. The movies and specials would do just fine.
The movies and specials do "do fine" with their Blu-Ray releases, in both profit and quality (except for the specials when it comes to quality). The reason people are interested in getting the series in BD is because a lot of them expect Blu-Ray's high storage capacity to equal less discs used to cover the series, even though that would pretty much result in similar quality and equal or higher price.

Pain

Post by Pain » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:19 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:

-Corey
Um..I think the name Wii comes into focus if you say "Fake HD". Reminds me of "Fake Graphics And Bad DBZ Games(Burst Limit)".
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:20 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:
Krycek7o2 wrote:They can release the set on BD, but why bother with the series. The movies and specials would do just fine.
The movies and specials do "do fine" with their Blu-Ray releases, in both profit and quality (except for the specials when it comes to quality). The reason people are interested in getting the series in BD is because a lot of them expect Blu-Ray's high storage capacity to equal less discs used to cover the series, even though that would pretty much result in similar quality and equal or higher price.
Exactly. This is the reason why high def education is a must if (when) it becomes the norm. It will be a slow progress, but it will happen.
MajinVejitaXV wrote:
Um..I think the name Wii comes into focus if you say "Fake HD". Reminds me of "Fake Graphics And Bad DBZ Games(Burst Limit)".
The Wii was never advertised as HD. It is merely 480p, standard definition.

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:41 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:
MajinVejitaXV wrote:

-Corey
I suppose he means something that wasn't meant or produced specifically for it.
That's exactly what I mean. I just watched Spiderman 3 on BluRay and it looked TERRIBLE. All the special effects looked terrible. I am now hesitant to buy more Bluray movies that aren't animated features.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:36 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote:That's exactly what I mean. I just watched Spiderman 3 on BluRay and it looked TERRIBLE. All the special effects looked terrible. I am now hesitant to buy more Bluray movies that aren't animated features.
But you probably shouldn't judge a new format based on special effects technology from 25 years ago...

BluRay has lots of potential. Plus, if you think the DVD version looks better, just watch that in the player instead.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:37 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote:That's exactly what I mean. I just watched Spiderman 3 on BluRay and it looked TERRIBLE. All the special effects looked terrible. I am now hesitant to buy more Bluray movies that aren't animated features.
The problem with buying animated shows and movies in Blu-Ray format (especially ones as old as Dragonball) is that a lot of them don't have fine enough details that won't all be seen in 720×480 res. Maybe if some extensive digital remastering process is used, but other than that Dragonbox quality Dragonball episodes probably won't look too different between standard disc and BD.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:48 pm

ect5150 wrote:
But you probably shouldn't judge a new format based on special effects technology from 25 years ago...
Are you from the future or something? He said "Spider-Man 3."
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:18 pm

ect5150 wrote:
BluRay has lots of potential. Plus, if you think the DVD version looks better, just watch that in the player instead.
I haven't seen this movie on a DVD yet and the last time I watched it was when the movie was openning day last year. The only other BluRay movies I have are The Departed (excellent film), Appleseed, and DBZ: The Dead Zone.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:36 pm

Kendamu wrote:
ect5150 wrote:
Are you from the future or something? He said "Spider-Man 3."
For some reason, I read it as SUPERMAN 3... sorry about that. I was thinking "the special effects of the time were crappy, and this guy is comparing them to today's?"...

hehehe... I can't read sometimes...
ect5150

ssgOverlord
Patreon Supporter

Post by ssgOverlord » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:01 am

Aww...and here I thought Bubbles was going to be on the cover of Season 7.

Seriously though, I'm glad it's at least a relevant character, although I suppose I would have like Great Saiyaman on the cover instead.
I think I'll be buying assorted Dragon Ball things for the rest of my life.