DragonBall: The Movies - Single DVD Dissection.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

DragonBall: The Movies - Single DVD Dissection.

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:01 pm

So for no real reason at all I decided to pre-order the first two "DragonBall: The Movies" DVD's. Today, when I got home from work I found them sitting in my hallway. I haven't done a dissection like this in a while. I really scanned the shit outta these DVD's. Anyways we will get right into it...

First thing you will notice is the cover art for the first movie is not the usuall one we've been seeing. But no worries, that thing is just a card you can remove showing the real cover underneith. Its pretty cool card though, its one of those things you move around to see different images.

Also the covers seem to have a splash of glitter on them. Its kind of a nice touch.

These DVD's come with a little movie poster card... Well I guess its not really the movie poster, I suppose its more like promotional art from that movie...

The covers unfolded...

When you turn those over it has somthing called a "Character Album". Pretty cool. FUNimation are you taking notes? Bah it's way to late for that now anyways.

The backs...

And no, the side bars do not form a picture.

It seems this menu screen might be on every disc. It was on disc 1 and 2 so...

These disc have the original trailers (not shown in the movie below) and also some new ones made to promote these single discs. It also has some promo's for other DragonBall (series) single disc....

You can see the new trailer for "The Dead Zone" (dub name, I know) in the clip below. I love how this guy says "DragonBall! The MOooooOoooOovies!" Since I don't have a ripper, I just cammed it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG3b6OEHVbI

I don't think Iam going to keep this trailer movie up for long, being its cammed it just seems a little odd. Maybe after 4 or 5 weeks I'll take it down. Anyways I think this same DragonBall The Mooooo... trailer can be seen on... some... official website... Iam pretty sure Herms knows what site it is...

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:13 pm

Those cards just show other promotional posters that were used for their respective movies. Geez, everything for DragonBall gets packaged so well in Japan. Oh, and you mean this site... http://www.toei-video.co.jp/DVD/sp21/dr ... e/mov.html

Thanks for the dissection!
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:15 pm

Very good dissection, thank you very, very much for the hard work. I'll look into it a little deeper next time I get a chance, my parents are getting home soon and they don't like seeing me looking at anything Dragonball related. :cry:

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:22 pm

I wish I could afford these, the packaging along is awesome.
Trans rights, now!

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:34 pm

Very awesome, Tanook! Sexier packaging and menus than I realized.
Last edited by Conan the SSJ on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
14 years later

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:35 pm

Very neat packaging. Are those red smears supposed to be blood? They really look like it. Kind of gives the whole thing a gruesome vibe.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:55 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:24 pm

Could you possibly post a scan of the holographic cover card that went over the cover in the first DVD?

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:27 pm

Sure, but you really can't see much. :?

LeprikanGT
I Live Here

Post by LeprikanGT » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:47 am

Look at those pictures, they are beautiful; B-E-A-Utiful...all America gets with own new Movie dvds is One picture on the front of the tin case. I rather like how in depth the little leaflets are and the inside parts of the cases.

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:28 pm

I hate you! You made me buy the first volume last night, even though I OWN the DragonBox - The Movies! I want this for my collection! 8)
Luckily I got one of the last of the first pressings.

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:55 pm

I sold my movies dragonbox over a year ago and will probably pick these up since they're more economically efficient. :)

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DaemonCorps » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:51 pm

Wow, with all the nice artwork and doodads included in the cover alone, I don't think I'd mind if I found that they didn't include the disc at all. Well not really, but still, that is some nice effort on Toei's (I'm assuming) part. Add "at least one of any DB R2 release" to the stuff I've gotta pick up when I've got the money to do so.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:03 pm

Since these movies actually has decent extras, I might buy the one for Movie 12.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Vegeta1984
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vegeta1984 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:16 pm

awesome I know these are R2 DVDs but will they work on an computer? And were can I get these???

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:35 pm

Vegeta1984 wrote:awesome I know these are R2 DVDs but will they work on an computer? And were can I get these???
Most (if not all) disc drives for computers can change between regions so that you can play foreign DVD's, but they come with a limit of 5 region changes, and the preset region counts. So the smartest thing to do is buy a cheap 20$ disc drive and use it solely for R2 DVD's.

I'm not very aware of all of the places you can buys these discs, but I know that a lot of the members here are, so I'm sure they'll help you out there. :wink:

Krycek7o2
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Krycek7o2 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:21 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:
Vegeta1984 wrote:awesome I know these are R2 DVDs but will they work on an computer? And were can I get these???
Most (if not all) disc drives for computers can change between regions so that you can play foreign DVD's, but they come with a limit of 5 region changes, and the preset region counts. So the smartest thing to do is buy a cheap 20$ disc drive and use it solely for R2 DVD's.

I'm not very aware of all of the places you can buys these discs, but I know that a lot of the members here are, so I'm sure they'll help you out there. :wink:
Its easier than you think :wink:
You can just buy AnyDVD to make your PC Drive region free. Or enter a code on your DVD player to make it region free.
I've done both of these methods.

Curious, but do all the Singles contain so many pamphlets?
I already bought all the dragonboxes, but I would like to buy the first dvd of all the singles for my collection.
Last edited by Krycek7o2 on Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:28 pm

VLC is your friend... not the best movie player in itself, but if ya gotta go region-free, ya gotta have VLC.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:25 am

bkev wrote:VLC is your friend... not the best movie player in itself, but if ya gotta go region-free, ya gotta have VLC.
Doesn't your disc drive also have to be set for the appropirate region to be able to play a foreign DVD's with VLC?

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:28 pm

Doesn't your disc drive also have to be set for the appropirate region to be able to play a foreign DVD's with VLC?
No, I don't think so. When I got these DVD's I just downloaded VLC and it played fine. :?