What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
ZombieVito
I Live Here
Posts: 4267
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:18 pm

Re: What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:51 pm

Bryesque wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:27 am
Nothing especially interesting, but we picked up the final Super release this week.

Image

It's nice having several complete runs on the Dragon Ball shelf. A few gaps remain, but it's a decent little "shrine" I think.

Image
Mind if I ask how they handled the song that plays on Goku/Freeza vs Jiren? Does the Bluray contain both the English and Japanese versions?

User avatar
Bryesque
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:39 am
Contact:

Re: What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Post by Bryesque » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:21 am

ZombieVito wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:51 pm
Mind if I ask how they handled the song that plays on Goku/Freeza vs Jiren? Does the Bluray contain both the English and Japanese versions?
For sure! I popped it on yesterday and it had the proper versions for each audio track - at least it sounded like the Akira Kushida version to me on the Japanese track.

User avatar
ZombieVito
I Live Here
Posts: 4267
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:18 pm

Re: What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Post by ZombieVito » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:59 pm

Bryesque wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:21 am
ZombieVito wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:51 pm
Mind if I ask how they handled the song that plays on Goku/Freeza vs Jiren? Does the Bluray contain both the English and Japanese versions?
For sure! I popped it on yesterday and it had the proper versions for each audio track - at least it sounded like the Akira Kushida version to me on the Japanese track.
Thanks a bunch!!

I'll begin to get the Super parts finally.

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:24 pm

Re: What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Post by 10gigtriforce » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:47 pm

I found a copy of the uncut ocean dub of tree of might for $10. now i have all the ocean dub.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1462
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:32 pm

Just recently got the original jewel case Pioneer DVD release of DBZ movie 1 (In immaculate condition sans cardboard case) on my most recent thrift store run a few days ago. Now i finally have the entire uncut Ocean/Pioneer joint produced dub versions of Z movies 1-3.

Images below:


Front cover:

Image


Back cover:

Image



Inside case and disc:

Image



The Pioneer trilogy (at long last!!!)

Image

User avatar
No9tro
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:33 pm
Location: Lars Tyndskids mark

Re: What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Post by No9tro » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:58 pm

I gotta say that looks pretty cool! I didn't know that there were DVD releases like that
I am curious though. What exactly does the cardboard case look like? I somehow can't quite imagine what it would look like

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1462
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:26 pm

No9tro wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:58 pm
I gotta say that looks pretty cool! I didn't know that there were DVD releases like that
I am curious though. What exactly does the cardboard case look like? I somehow can't quite imagine what it would look like
I believe it was shown on a thread here a while back, let me try to see if i can find it. There was indeed a case that wasn't the standard ones which everyone and their dog knows that started being used once DVD really took off in the late '90s/early 2000's.

Edit: Here's the page on the thread where the case in question appears from VegettoEX's collection:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20281&start=20
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
No9tro
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:33 pm
Location: Lars Tyndskids mark

Re: What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Post by No9tro » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:36 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:26 pm
No9tro wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:58 pm
I gotta say that looks pretty cool! I didn't know that there were DVD releases like that
I am curious though. What exactly does the cardboard case look like? I somehow can't quite imagine what it would look like
I believe it was shown on a thread here a while back, let me try to see if i can find it. There was indeed a case that wasn't the standard ones which everyone and their dog knows that started being used once DVD really took off in the late '90s/early 2000's.

Edit here's the page on the thread where the case in question appears from VegettoEX's collection:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20281&start=20


Looks neat. Kinda like a slipcover but with hinges or something. Thanks!

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1462
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:40 pm

No9tro wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:36 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:26 pm
No9tro wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:58 pm
I gotta say that looks pretty cool! I didn't know that there were DVD releases like that
I am curious though. What exactly does the cardboard case look like? I somehow can't quite imagine what it would look like
I believe it was shown on a thread here a while back, let me try to see if i can find it. There was indeed a case that wasn't the standard ones which everyone and their dog knows that started being used once DVD really took off in the late '90s/early 2000's.

Edit here's the page on the thread where the case in question appears from VegettoEX's collection:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20281&start=20


Looks neat. Kinda like a slipcover but with hinges or something. Thanks!
Yeah, i was really surprised to see that because it was so different from the other two movies which have the standard DVD cases everyone knows.

User avatar
samuraix123
I Live Here
Posts: 3737
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:22 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:43 pm

I recently picked up Funimation's original DVD of the History of Trunks because I always liked how a lot of the dubs music flowed together in it and with Funimation's new remastered version, they edited out pieces of music and such. I always liked the main DVD menu. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDG8Xov4ki8
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1462
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:30 pm

samuraix123 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:43 pm
I recently picked up Funimation's original DVD of the History of Trunks because I always liked how a lot of the dubs music flowed together in it and with Funimation's new remastered version, they edited out pieces of music and such. I always liked the main DVD menu. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDG8Xov4ki8
I've got it and the old Bardock single also to have them in the proper 4:3, because the remastered versions on the double feature and corresponding singles are of course cropped to fake widescreen like the Orange Bricks.

User avatar
samuraix123
I Live Here
Posts: 3737
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:22 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:19 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:30 pm
samuraix123 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:43 pm
I recently picked up Funimation's original DVD of the History of Trunks because I always liked how a lot of the dubs music flowed together in it and with Funimation's new remastered version, they edited out pieces of music and such. I always liked the main DVD menu. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDG8Xov4ki8
I've got it and the old Bardock single also to have them in the proper 4:3, because the remastered versions on the double feature and corresponding singles are of course cropped to fake widescreen like the Orange Bricks.
when you say ''corresponding singles'' you're talking about the releases that are white or whatever? because those were the ones I was trying to avoid. I own the series in so many different ways I can't keep up with it all. haha but for This special and the Cooler Movie I definitely prefer the original releases because Funimation screwed that Cooler's Revenge up so bad atleast in the dub department that somebody should have had a good long talking too but since they okay'd it, they really didn't care anyways.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1462
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:26 pm

samuraix123 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:19 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:30 pm
samuraix123 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:43 pm
I recently picked up Funimation's original DVD of the History of Trunks because I always liked how a lot of the dubs music flowed together in it and with Funimation's new remastered version, they edited out pieces of music and such. I always liked the main DVD menu. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDG8Xov4ki8
I've got it and the old Bardock single also to have them in the proper 4:3, because the remastered versions on the double feature and corresponding singles are of course cropped to fake widescreen like the Orange Bricks.
when you say ''corresponding singles'' you're talking about the releases that are white or whatever? because those were the ones I was trying to avoid. I own the series in so many different ways I can't keep up with it all. haha but for This special and the Cooler Movie I definitely prefer the original releases because Funimation screwed that Cooler's Revenge up so bad atleast in the dub department that somebody should have had a good long talking too but since they okay'd it, they really didn't care anyways.
Yes, that would indeed be the white cover versions of the Z specials which came out after the Double Feature pack on DVD/BD and also i'll be getting the rest of the original single discs for the movies to have them in both fullscreen and widescreen as i've already got the movie packs and some of the films on the latter have not so great video quality/brightness issues and things like the Japanese title cards and all that stuff as the packs have dub titles only.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
samuraix123
I Live Here
Posts: 3737
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:22 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:43 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:26 pm
samuraix123 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:19 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:30 pm


I've got it and the old Bardock single also to have them in the proper 4:3, because the remastered versions on the double feature and corresponding singles are of course cropped to fake widescreen like the Orange Bricks.
when you say ''corresponding singles'' you're talking about the releases that are white or whatever? because those were the ones I was trying to avoid. I own the series in so many different ways I can't keep up with it all. haha but for This special and the Cooler Movie I definitely prefer the original releases because Funimation screwed that Cooler's Revenge up so bad atleast in the dub department that somebody should have had a good long talking too but since they okay'd it, they really didn't care anyways.
Yes, that would indeed be the white cover versions of the Z specials which came out after the Double Feature pack on DVD/BD and also i'll be getting the rest of the original single discs for the movies to have them in both fullscreen and widescreen as i've already got the movie packs and some of the films on the latter have not so great video quality/brightness issues and things like the Japanese title cards and all that stuff as the packs have dub titles only.
Did the movie packs that come out look any better than the original remastered releases or is it just a package job? haha I did notice that the original trunks DVD release and I'm assuming the bardock special as well? didn't have the commercial break cards and even though I like to have all that fun stuff I'm not gonna knock the release because their missing.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1462
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:48 pm

samuraix123 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:43 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:26 pm
samuraix123 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:19 pm

when you say ''corresponding singles'' you're talking about the releases that are white or whatever? because those were the ones I was trying to avoid. I own the series in so many different ways I can't keep up with it all. haha but for This special and the Cooler Movie I definitely prefer the original releases because Funimation screwed that Cooler's Revenge up so bad atleast in the dub department that somebody should have had a good long talking too but since they okay'd it, they really didn't care anyways.
Yes, that would indeed be the white cover versions of the Z specials which came out after the Double Feature pack on DVD/BD and also i'll be getting the rest of the original single discs for the movies to have them in both fullscreen and widescreen as i've already got the movie packs and some of the films on the latter have not so great video quality/brightness issues and things like the Japanese title cards and all that stuff as the packs have dub titles only.
Did the movie packs that come out look any better than the original remastered releases or is it just a package job? haha I did notice that the original trunks DVD release and I'm assuming the bardock special as well? didn't have the commercial break cards and even though I like to have all that fun stuff I'm not gonna knock the release because their missing.
The movie packs are repackages of the double feature editions on DVD so they look more or less the same video quality wise, and yes the original Bardock and Trunks singles both do not have the eyecatch cards at the commercial points but it doesn't bother me too much because their abscence really isn't all that noticable and i like having the proper 4:3 presentation.

User avatar
JustAlex1997
Newbie
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:01 pm

Re: What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Post by JustAlex1997 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:50 am

Dragon Ball Z: Idainaru Dragon Ball Densetsu for the original PlayStation.

User avatar
Planetnamek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 356
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Re: What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:46 pm

Watching the Harmony Gold dub gave me an urge to check out Dragon Ball again as it's been quite some time since i've last seen it, so I got that Kidmark Saga of Goku DVD.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3465
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:24 pm

Planetnamek wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:46 pm
Watching the Harmony Gold dub gave me an urge to check out Dragon Ball again as it's been quite some time since i've last seen it, so I got that Kidmark Saga of Goku DVD.
Its a product of it's time but I enjoy that dub!

User avatar
CuppaKofe
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:44 am

Re: What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Post by CuppaKofe » Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:04 am

Image

Found a big haul of Pioneer DVDs at a local pawn shop several weeks ago. Some of the spines have been slightly sunbleached unfortunately, but are in otherwise great condition. A few, like the sealed Ginyu Force with the printing error, were found on ebay in my new efford to get them all. I'll also make sure to track down the Jewel case release of Dead Zone and the Kidmark boxset for the BLT dub.
Also snagged the singles for Fusion Reborn and WotD.

Image

Picked up the BWFC Vegeta recently too. Looks a lot better in person than it did in photos! Love the sculp on this one!
Looking for the following Pioneer singles:

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 154
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:24 pm

Re: What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Post by 10gigtriforce » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:05 am

This year I think all I've been able to get so far is 3 edited vhs tapes of dbz, the kidmark/vidmark dvds of the 1995 db dub, and dubbed/pioneer worlds strongest and tree of might laserdiscs.

Post Reply