What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Re: What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:19 pm

Yesterday I bought all the Kai 1.0 parts on DVD off of someone from Facebook for 90 bucks. The first 4 parts have the Yamamoto score so I got a pretty good deal. I use to own parts 3 and 4 years ago but sold it.
I'm still on the fence about buying The Final Chapters though due to the green tint.

I also sold all my 2013 blu rays two weeks back and pre-ordered the 4:3 steelbooks.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:59 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:19 pm Yesterday I bought all the Kai 1.0 parts on DVD off of someone from Facebook for 90 bucks. The first 4 parts have the Yamamoto score so I got a pretty good deal. I use to own parts 3 and 4 years ago but sold it.
I'm still on the fence about buying The Final Chapters though due to the green tint.

I also sold all my 2013 blu rays two weeks back and pre-ordered the 4:3 steelbooks.

Yeah, I been looking to get part 3 and 4 again on DVD or Bluray. I just have those parts burned off on DVD cause I like watching them with the Yamamoto score
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:08 pm

samuraix123 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:59 pm
JEFFMAN219 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:19 pm Yesterday I bought all the Kai 1.0 parts on DVD off of someone from Facebook for 90 bucks. The first 4 parts have the Yamamoto score so I got a pretty good deal. I use to own parts 3 and 4 years ago but sold it.

Yeah, I been looking to get part 3 and 4 again on DVD or Bluray. I just have those parts burned off on DVD cause I like watching them with the Yamamoto score
Yup I originally wanted to only buy parts 1-5 but the seller wanted to sell all the parts together and at that price I couldn't refuse.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:17 pm

Yeah, you were quite lucky to get Part 4 with Yamamoto, as neither Manga UK nor Madman got to release those episodes with the score and Funimation's set had a shorter printing than 1-3 (which unlike 4 can only be found with the Yamamoto score) before switching to Kikuchi for subsequent printings.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:53 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:08 pm

Yup I originally wanted to only buy parts 1-5 but the seller wanted to sell all the parts together and at that price I couldn't refuse.
I managed to get Part 4 with the double pack set version along with Part 3 a while back and it was indeed the Yamamoto version in there, and apparently though it seems the former was re printed with the Kikuchi replacement score at some point after the music scandal broke and those are harder to find when compared to the original Yamamoto release. The initial Season One set by FUNi from back in late 2011 is definitely much rarer than the later Kikuchi re release.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:00 pm

I originally had parts 1-4 on DVD then Traded them all off like a big dummy because I just wasn't in love with Kai, but later on I got parts 1 and 2 back on bluray with Yamamoto and 3 and 4 I had to burn because the online prices were just out of this world crazy. from that day, I vowed to not sell anything Dragonball related again from my collection unless it's to help a friend and I have duplicates of it. In my area of Kentucky, It's just too hard to get anything like that back. When the Dragonboxes got released, I didn't see 1 of them in the store. I had to order them online.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:06 am

samuraix123 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:00 pm
I originally had parts 1-4 on DVD then Traded them all off like a big dummy because I just wasn't in love with Kai, but later on I got parts 1 and 2 back on bluray with Yamamoto and 3 and 4 I had to burn because the online prices were just out of this world crazy. from that day, I vowed to not sell anything Dragonball related again from my collection unless it's to help a friend and I have duplicates of it. In my area of Kentucky, It's just too hard to get anything like that back. When the Dragonboxes got released, I didn't see 1 of them in the store. I had to order them online.
I sold my Kai sets 5 years ago because I got sick and tired for waiting for the Final Chapters and I was watching Z more but I can't stand the Z dub of the Frieza saga anymore due to it sounding real bad and cheesy lol. Kai in my opinion is the best way to watch that entire saga in English.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:35 am

JEFFMAN219 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:06 am

I sold my Kai sets 5 years ago because I got sick and tired for waiting for the Final Chapters and I was watching Z more but I can't stand the Z dub of the Frieza saga anymore due to it sounding real bad and cheesy lol. Kai in my opinion is the best way to watch that entire saga in English.
No question there, Kai 1.0 is hands down my go to version for watching DBZ in English because the old Z dub is just so god awful especially the Freeza arc where the FUNi cast first took over the voices back in 1999. I'm glad to have a dub of the show that's actually decent.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:59 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:35 am
No question there, Kai 1.0 is hands down my go to version for watching DBZ in English because the old Z dub is just so god awful especially the Freeza arc where the FUNi cast first took over the voices back in 1999. I'm glad to have a dub of the show that's actually decent.
Had no idea Kai sets cost that much, no way in hell would I have even considered paying that amount of money for what I consider a mediocre half-measure that tries to please both camps of DBZ fans and IMO does not really do a great job of pleasing either one. There's simply too much good stuff removed for me to get past it(as someone else mentioned in another thread, character development really gets the short end of the stick in Kai, as it feels like characters just abruptly change too quickly with little explanation).
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:08 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:59 am

Had no idea Kai sets cost that much, no way in hell would I have even considered paying that amount of money for what I consider a mediocre half-measure that tries to please both camps of DBZ fans and IMO does not really do a great job of pleasing either one. There's simply too much good stuff removed for me to get past it(as someone else mentioned in another thread, character development really gets the short end of the stick in Kai, as it feels like characters just abruptly change too quickly with little explanation).
Eh, it's not the absolute best ever but still the closest we've gotten to an acceptable yet flawed dub of DBZ even if not to quite the level of the old school DBZ movies 1-3 dubs that Pioneer did back in the day. Given that FUNi at this point is likely not going to do a complete redub of the series anytime soon if ever. I still watch Z proper in Japanese though because it's dub really isn't very good especially the Freeza and Cell arcs and to a lesser degree on the same note the Buu arc and 2005 redubbed Saiyan/Namek stuff.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:19 pm

The first 4 parts are expansive because they are out of print and they have the Yamamoto score. I pretty much got a good deal for Kai 1.0 as the seller told me that he liked Z better.

I'm still on the fence about buying the Final Chapters though

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:25 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:19 pm

The first 4 parts are expansive because they are out of print and they have the Yamamoto score. I pretty much got a good deal for Kai 1.0 as the seller told me that he liked Z better.

I actually got the Final Chapters Blurays recently and enjoyed them a lot! the only thing I didn't like was they didn't include the other ending videos like the Japanese sets had for. reasons. I. Cannot. Understand. :roll:
#1 Paikuhan fan!

CashmanX
Patreon Supporter

Post by CashmanX » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:37 pm

Picked up the "Blood of Saiyans: Super Saiyan God Goku" Figure from amazon. This thing is gorgeous. :o
olympia wrote: 21:28 why are we still talking about the emails
21:29 who gives a fuck
21:29 shut the fuck up trunks
21:29 * mean trump

Catsenti

Post by Catsenti » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:14 pm

I just pre-ordered the fourth and fifth DBZ steelbooks from Best Buy. Cheaper than Right Stuf.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:58 am

I pre ordered the new Season 1 Dragon Ball Z Blu-Ray from Manga UK because I want the art cards, I like collecting the UK home releases, and what I've seen of the 30th remaster is ok.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:00 am

samuraix123 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:25 pm

I actually got the Final Chapters Blurays recently and enjoyed them a lot! the only thing I didn't like was they didn't include the other ending videos like the Japanese sets had for. reasons. I. Cannot. Understand. :roll:
Shame on all of you! I want Part 4 so bad, and you all have it. :(

I only have ''Season 1'' (on DVD) and Part 3 (also on DVD). I want Part 4 with the Yamamoto score to make my collection consistent. It's both a nerdy AND a OCD-type thingie. Lol

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:06 pm

Paulo Gabriel wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:00 am

I only have ''Season 1'' (on DVD) and Part 3 (also on DVD). I want Part 4 with the Yamamoto score to make my collection consistent. It's both a nerdy AND a OCD-type thingie. Lol
Well you're in the right place then because I think we all have some kinda disorder as many times as we have bought and rebought the series over and over again. lol
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Boured

Post by Boured » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:47 am

Bought the entirety of OG Dragon Ball.

The first blue brick for the first 13 episodes in Japanese and uncut. Then the rest being the Saga Sets fot that sweet sweet G R A I N.

If you've never had a Saga Set, its hella grainy.
"If you'll let me, I'll never leave you."

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:09 am

samuraix123 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:06 pm
Paulo Gabriel wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:00 am

Well you're in the right place then because I think we all have some kinda disorder as many times as we have bought and rebought the series over and over again. lol
Yea, I kinda figured this one out on my own. Haha.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:08 pm

Ended up buying the Final Chapters after putting it off for 3 years. Watched a couple of scenes and I don't know if its my TV settings but the green tint is barely noticeable at all compared to what I saw on YouTube and the Japanese broadcast back in 2014. However the bgm music and the sound effects sound a bit low on the English dub compared to the Japanese version.