What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:12 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:30 am

Son_GokouSSJ4 wrote:
Jerseymilk wrote:The Luffy and Goku crossover figures. Pre-ordered them and waiting with anticipation. 8)
Ditto.

Me three, and Nami and Bulma too.
Trans rights, now!

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:21 pm

I haven't bought anything DB-related in a long while, actually. I own the French version of the manga, so I'm not interested in the triple-sized volumes since they'e too pricey, and there's not enough written content in the first Daizenshuu for me to consider re-buying it.

I plan on getting the next two PS2 Games since I only have GBA games, but this is a recent purchase thread, soo.... I guess I'll say the Neko Majin GN, since chapters 3-5 of NMZ contain Z characters.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

shotkeeper
Regular

Post by shotkeeper » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:47 pm

I buyed the VIZ version of the daizenshuu, my season 6 is shipped to me. I think my next buy will be either, manga box sets or nothing. Since I already have pre-ordered the upcoming season, GT box and Movie tinpack 3/4.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:04 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote: Sweet. 8) Early Namek doesn't get enough love. Probably the all time high point of the "Z" era insofar as plotting IMO.

Still though… I can’t quite bring myself to buy even the Vizbigs, mainly for the art editing. And you just KNOW that at some point eventually they’re gonna put out a completely 100% un-tampered with edition.
Tell me about it, I was looking through the previews magazine at my local comics shop (shows things three months in advance) and it had the Manga boxsets pictured, which were essentially metal suitcases with the old releases inside, but still had nothing on the "collectors editions" which I guess is our only chance (at this point) of a perfect release.

..Fuck Viz for making this so complicated.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:13 pm

I actually really hate the "early Namek" portion of Z. It drones on and on about the cat and mouse dragonball race with Vegeta/Freeza. It's pretty much unbearable, at least in the anime, with everything pre-Ginyu battles.

To me those episodes are like Knuckles missions in Sonic Adventure 2, they're just something you have to get through but you don't really enjoy.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:36 pm

In the Manga 'Early Namek' is really an hour or two's worth of reading. :wink:

My last Dragonball purchase was...the English Sparking METEOR!
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Kaze no Mune
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaze no Mune » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:10 pm

Complete Illustrations and this (DB era) Goku plushie I got Sunday.

[b]PSN: Mune-sama[/b]

Add me for some HD Remix or SF4.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:56 pm

I haven't gotten anything in a while myself. I have all of the manga, most of the video games, and a couple of the seasons, but I'll continue to see what these new releases will be like, since I'm interested in a few color chapters in particular. The most recent was Season 4.

The Goku/Vegeta battle not being in color pissed me off, but the size of the book actually isn't so bad. It could be annoying at times, though. I also look forward to his Infinite World DBZ game, since it looks quite fun to play.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:28 pm

Super Saiyan Turlast x4 wrote: The Goku/Vegeta battle not being in color pissed me off, but the size of the book actually isn't so bad. It could be annoying at times, though. I also look forward to his Infinite World DBZ game, since it looks quite fun to play.
If it helps, the colour chapters for the remainder of the Goku and Vegeta fight are intact for volume 2.

The only thing that will stop me from continuing with the Vizbig editions is if we get a Kanzenban like release in the form of the special editions, which I sincerely doubt.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:34 pm

Kaze no Mune wrote:Complete Illustrations and this (DB era) Goku plushie I got Sunday.

That Goku plushie is ADORABLE. X3

May I ask where you got it?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:38 pm

I just dropped a lot on various Dragonball books and I'm patiently waiting for them to arrive now ^^ The English Daizenshuu, the kanzenban that cover the Daimaou/Piccolo arc and.... something that has to do with Dead zone which I'm actually not quite certain what it is. But I love Dead Zone and it was cheap, so I'll have to let you know what it is when it gets here.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:15 am

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:22 am

Kunzait_83 wrote: The suspense during this period is fucking palpable as well, since Gohan and Kuririn are really the guys that the audience is meant to root for and they’re both so hopelessly out of their depth. They have to constantly and carefully think their way out of every increasingly complicated situation they find themselves in since Goku isn’t around to bail them out and save the day, something which in and of itself is another giant plus for this portion. The close, close calls just pile on and pile on and pile on relentlessly, each and every escape made by only a hair’s breadth.
Honestly, I should just give up posting here, it's clear that while I sleep, you are secretly stealing parts of my brain and incorporating them into your own.

I really couldn't agree more, I'm trying to think of something to add, but I think I'll just run off and read some of that early Namek goodness.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:33 am

SSJ2bardock wrote:To me those episodes are like Knuckles missions in Sonic Adventure 2, they're just something you have to get through but you don't really enjoy.
...And the cutaway fillers during Goku vs Freeza are like the Tails missions; the ones where you wish you could just reach in and kill everyone within them. :twisted:
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:44 am

Kunzait_83 wrote:
SSJ2bardock wrote:I actually really hate the "early Namek" portion of Z. It drones on and on about the cat and mouse dragonball race with Vegeta/Freeza. It's pretty much unbearable, at least in the anime, with everything pre-Ginyu battles.

To me those episodes are like Knuckles missions in Sonic Adventure 2, they're just something you have to get through but you don't really enjoy.
(Crazy long, in depth explanation of how I just got totally pwned and proven wrong)
I applaude you good sir, for you have just given me initiative to go back and read that portion of the manga. Seriously, that was awesome and to quote the words of the great Wayne Campbell, "We're not worthy, we're not worthy!"
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:53 am

Most recent purchase? Dragonball H doujinshi by Rehabilitation, it 126pg long. No regrets, only deep seeded shame.

Kaze no Mune
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaze no Mune » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:10 am

Chuquita wrote:
Kaze no Mune wrote:Complete Illustrations and this (DB era) Goku plushie I got Sunday.

That Goku plushie is ADORABLE. X3

May I ask where you got it?
It was purchased at a local Japanese festival where a local shop, called Star Child, had set up. I doubt that's helpful, but I'm sure it could be found online if you looked around a bit. The only other information I can give it's an import. :oops:
[b]PSN: Mune-sama[/b]

Add me for some HD Remix or SF4.

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:25 am

Scarz wrote:Most recent purchase? Dragonball H doujinshi by Rehabilitation, it 126pg long. No regrets, only deep seeded shame.
I just did a Google search on "Dragonball H"...now I see why your ashamed lol.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:39 am

I think I like the early Planet Namek stuff more than the later stuff with Ginyu and Freeza. Although the fact that every part of Planet Namek looks pretty much exactly the same as every other part does get to me.
Kunzait_83 wrote:right down to even tying a bunch of things back to long, long past throwaway details in latter end Dragon Ball, like making the language Piccolo and Kami spoke to one another in the 23rd Budokai be Namekian, or super obscure shit like the design of Daimao’s throne harkening to Namekian architecture.
Toriyama said in his Daizenshuu 4 interview that he thought up the idea of Piccolo being Namekkian when Kami was introduced, so the language thing at the 23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai was probably done with the intention of tieing it into the Namek stuff later. I actually never liked that scene very much. It's kind of arkward how it's handled the manga and really arkward in the anime, to the point where if I didn't already know they were supposed to be speaking some strange language, I wouldn't have known what the hell was going on. The whole scene doesn't really seem to serve any purpose other than to set up the Namekian language thing later. And I never much liked the Namekian language stuff later on either. It drawa attention to the oddness of all the aliens otherwise speaking the same language (is Japanese/whatever-language-DragonBall-is-translated-into the "galactic standard" or something? If so, why do Earthlings speak it? They don't interact with other planets), and it's not used very consistently (Polunga has to have the wishes spoken to him in Namekian, but he himself speaks Japanese/whatever? Huh?).

I should probably go have my coffea before I start complaining about more stuff...
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.