What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Char Aznable
Regular

Re: What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:36 pm

I’m not a big statue collector - like, at all - but I saw this in Target and for $25 I really wanted it.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:45 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:36 pm I’m not a big statue collector - like, at all - but I saw this in Target and for $25 I really wanted it.
I have not seen this at target!! I do love this statue and am sad that Goku never used the power pole in the film

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:00 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:45 pm
Char Aznable wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:36 pm I’m not a big statue collector - like, at all - but I saw this in Target and for $25 I really wanted it.
I have not seen this at target!! I do love this statue and am sad that Goku never used the power pole in the film
I was really surprised to see it there, really. With the release of the film, my local Target has started carrying the occasional Dragon Ball statue, but it's always the same generic Blue Goku, Blue Vegeta, Broli, screaming, punching, I find stuff like that pretty boring. Something like this is more unique to me.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:04 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:00 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:45 pm
I was really surprised to see it there, really. With the release of the film, my local Target has started carrying the occasional Dragon Ball statue, but it's always the same generic Blue Goku, Blue Vegeta, Broli, screaming, punching, I find stuff like that pretty boring. Something like this is more unique to me.
Yeah I'm pretty surprised by this. I'll have to check my local Target but for some reason with my luck I feel like they won't have it.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:42 pm

Seem like a good price and it is an official statue after all.

My favorite Goku statue has always been this one:

I'm not a fan who really cares about figures/statues/toys but damn, this is a piece of art!

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:47 pm

Forte224 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:04 pm Yeah I'm pretty surprised by this. I'll have to check my local Target but for some reason with my luck I feel like they won't have it.
All Targets are different but in mine, it was in a small section right next to the Switch games with other anime and gaming collectables. Check it out when you get the chance!
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:42 pm
I'm not a fan who really cares about figures/statues/toys but damn, this is a piece of art!
That one looks awesome too! I think I'm in the minority among the collectable fanbase, but my favorites are ones like this. Everybody shows off the 'action' statues and they're all so boring!

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:55 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:47 pm
Forte224 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:04 pm Yeah I'm pretty surprised by this. I'll have to check my local Target but for some reason with my luck I feel like they won't have it.
All Targets are different but in mine, it was in a small section right next to the Switch games with other anime and gaming collectables. Check it out when you get the chance!
Well, I couldn't find the one you did, which is the one I really wanted, but I did find the SSB Goku one so I grabbed it. It is one of the few SSB Goku figures that's under $100 and actually looks like Goku, so I couldn't resist.

I have something like 5 or 6 Targets in my area though so you can bet I'll be searching around.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:15 pm

Found a neat Dragonball Z wallet at wally world today. $5
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:52 pm

I got my part 7 of Super in so I'll watch some later while waiting for my shows on Toonami tonight lol
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:59 pm

Sniped an eBay auction so will finally have this statue I regretted selling before:
I don't know its technical name but I just call it "Goku Battle of Z statue" which is accurate enough.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:06 pm

It is very rare I buy anything DB related that aren't figures but this Shenron mug is one of my favourite things DB related I have got:

It's really big and awkward to drink from so I have only used it a few times but love the novelty of it!

No9tro

Post by No9tro » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:39 am

I recently just got the Danish VHS release of "The World's Strongest"
I don't actually own the movie in any other format. I just think it's cool to own a release like this

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:41 am

No9tro wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:39 am I recently just got the Danish VHS release of "The World's Strongest"
I don't actually own the movie in any other format. I just think it's cool to own a release like this
Isn't that the "Big Green" dub with subs?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:43 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:59 pm Sniped an eBay auction so will finally have this statue I regretted selling before:
I don't know its technical name but I just call it "Goku Battle of Z statue" which is accurate enough.
It's called the Master Stars Piece "The Son Goku". Sculpted by veteran and legendary sculptor Hiroyuki Nakazawa, who incidentally also sculpted that Shintani KV Goku above from the new movie. For that MSP figure the production time was only 2 months! Nowadays it is usually a year for a figure but that just shows how incredible Nakazawa really is!

Some extra interesting info, a few years later Banpresto held a "King of Colour" tournament where these 4 colourists competed in colouring the prototype made by Nakazawa with the winner getting theirs released. Hirose's entry ended up winning but ironically it was Makoto that ended up being the actual winner as his colouring got released overseas as an exclusive "Manga Dimensions" colouring and proved to be so successful that Banpresto started re-releasing most MSP as "Manga Dimensions" overseas and to this day the MSP successor line, Grandista, has the exclusive "Manga Dimensions" colouring released overseas aswell.

No9tro

Post by No9tro » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:29 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:41 am
No9tro wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:39 am I recently just got the Danish VHS release of "The World's Strongest"
Isn't that the "Big Green" dub with subs?
It's the Danish Dub which I think is based on the Big Green dub. I don't think the VHS has subs but I wouldn't know since I don't have my VHS player at the moment

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:51 pm

Didn't want to say anything until it was confirmed, but I just paid the shipping for Dragon Ball Z #3 (JPN Single DVD collection). Should be here relatively soon!
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

TheNamekGio
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheNamekGio » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:13 am

I'm probably sure lots of people already have him. But he was waaaaay cheaper than I expected.
Image :mrgreen:
I'm a DB veteran thats paid my DB dues!!

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:13 am

Finally snatched a copy of DBZ Movie 2 with the "Big Green" dub.

I double-checked it was really movie 2 cause I can't get used to TOEI's English translated titles. xD

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:16 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:13 am Finally snatched a copy of DBZ Movie 2 with the "Big Green" dub.

I double-checked it was really movie 2 cause I can't get used to TOEI's English translated titles. xD
Still have this one myself. It was actually the first Dragon Ball DVD I ever got. My mam bought me it back in the day, although much like anyone else when the Big Green dubs were first being released no one knew those would be the dubs released on these sets. It's still very sentimental for that reason and I've kept it as it was the beginning of my love for collecting Dragon Ball on home video, which I have no doubt will last until the day I die.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

No9tro

Post by No9tro » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:26 am

I just got the Danish VHS release for movie 3

Maybe

Maybe I'm crazy

Maybe