What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:15 pm

My latest purchases aren't anywhere near as cool as a lot of the stuff I saw on the previous page (seriously, kudos to a lot of you, especially fps_anth for that find!), but I'm still pretty happy with them.

First of all, I noticed my local Wal-mart has started to carry POP figures a little more regularly, and in the aisle I found this lil' guy that I had to take home with me.

They also had Bulma, Krillin (which I already have), Gohan, Trunks (which my girlfriend nabbed), and Majin Boo. If they keep them all long enough, I'm thinking of nabbing one a week till I've got them all - starting with Bulma.

The other item is just a copy of Dragon Ball Fusions. Been meaning to pick it up for a bit and just hadn't had a chance to. I probably won' be playing it right away, but it'll be waiting for me when I do have a chance.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:49 am

I seen these on Reddit a few weeks back and simply had to have them. Of all the figures I've got, these are my favourites.

Also picked up Full Colour Freeza Arc Vol 5 at the weekend. Continues to be an excellent release.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:26 pm

Was in Little Tokyo for an interview and stopped by Kinokuniya. Unfortunately they didn't have much from Toriyama himself outside of art books (one day!), but I did leave with a few things:

fps_anth wrote:It's not often that you're able to get your hands on a dream item.

Today, that dream came true for me:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Dude, holy shit. Find a way to play and transfer that sucker.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:46 pm

Cipher wrote:
fps_anth wrote:It's not often that you're able to get your hands on a dream item.

Today, that dream came true for me:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Dude, holy shit. Find a way to play and transfer that sucker.
sanlyn wrote:[spoiler]Welcome! Image

If you're just starting, you have work ahead. But many are in the same boat and making progress, so join the club.

You need:
- high quality upscale consumer or prosumer VCR
- line-level time base corrector (TBC, built-in with VCR or use pass-thru device)
- frame-level time base corrector (TBC)
- Capture device (AGP, PCIe, PCI, or USB)
- Capture software
- Cleanup, restoration, and encoding software

General guide for capture, restoration, and encoding (somewhat dated but still relevant, basic principles):
http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/video.htm

Basic Guides: VCRs and TBC's
http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/video/ ... rdware.htm

List of recommended VCRs, and discussion
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-r ... guide.html

Recommended legacy ATI All In Wonder capture cards
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-c ... #post13441

Recommended alternatives to ATI All In Wonders for capture
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-c ... onder.html

Drivers for ATI All In Wonder, hacks, MMC, and workarounds:
http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-c ... hacks.html

Recommended alternatives for line-tbc and external frame sync time base correctors (TBC):
Panasonic DMR-ES10, DMR-ES15
http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3194 ... do-you-use

Recommended capture software for high quality lossless capture:
VirtuaLDub v 1.9.11, 32-bit
VirtualVCR

Recommended software for cleanup and restoration:
VirtualDub v1.9.11, 32-bit
Avisynth v.2.6, 32-bit, highly recommended

Lossless capture\encoding\decoding\post-processing codecs:
HuffYUV, 32-bit
Lagarith lossless video compressor/decoder, 32-bit[/spoiler]
This may also be relevant, but I think it's still in beta or even alpha.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:59 pm

Woohoo, my copy of Dragon Ball Fusions came in today! I'm having a hard time not popping it in and playing since I'm already in the middle of Persona 4 Golden (trying to beat it before 5 comes out in April), but it keeps staring at me...I may end up caving.

Ended up making another Dragon Ball related purchase though, as a gift to both myself and my fiance, after a friend pointed them out to us. Easily gonna be some of the most adorable figures in our collection.

AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

ecrockedboston
Beyond Newbie

Post by ecrockedboston » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:44 pm

Anyone know what this is?

It came with an issue of Saikyu Jump that I ordered from Ebay. It came today, but I wont be home for a couple hours and I'm dying to know.
One who consciously devises memes, through meme-splicing and memetic synthesis, with the intent of altering the behavior of others. Writers of manifestos and of commercials are typical memetic engineers.
-Memetic Lexicon

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:56 pm

ecrockedboston wrote:Anyone know what this is?

It came with an issue of Saikyu Jump that I ordered from Ebay. It came today, but I wont be home for a couple hours and I'm dying to know.
It's listed at the bottom of this page as a "'Battle of Gods' Special Comic". I don't know exactly what that is, but it costs more than a regular volume, even though it has a lot less pages.

EDIT: Actually I do know what it is, according to the same page it's just a collection of the "Battle of Gods" chapters in the manga.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:32 am

Footlong Shoe wrote:
ecrockedboston wrote:Anyone know what this is?

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

It's listed at the bottom of this page as a "'Battle of Gods' Special Comic". I don't know exactly what that is, but it costs more than a regular volume, even though it has a lot less pages.

EDIT: Actually I do know what it is, according to the same page it's just a collection of the "Battle of Gods" chapters in the manga.
Yeah, I was kinda disappointed when I got my January Saikyo Jump to find out that it was just the BoG chapters from the Super Manga. Was kinda hoping it was original content. But at the end of the day, marketed as a promotion for the actual manga that is direct strictly for the Japanese Market, not for the westerners who know exactly what they want, so I can't really complain. :lol:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:14 pm

Just got these:

Adding them to the collection:

From what I can tell, this finishes off the "Dragon Ball" portion of the story for the colored manga. I hope.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:29 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:From what I can tell, this finishes off the "Dragon Ball" portion of the story for the colored manga. I hope.
Yep, that's everything from the pre-Z era.
Retired.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:15 am

Awesome. I'd get Viz's, but I have the VizBigs, so if I really need to see what they say (as if I don't know by now), I gave a reference. These are unedited too, so that's a plus. Otherwise, what turns me off about Viz is that is taking them forever and a day to release "Z." Maybe they will get to "Pre-Z," but who knows when? So I'll get the Japanese "Z" manga too.

Because I'm an idiot type of fan, I know I'll end up getting Viz's at some point too -_-

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:22 am

It's not exactly a purchase, but I downloaded DBZ Season 1 from Microsoft's website, since it's free at the moment. This is my 4th (and hopefully final) copy of the Saiyan Arc. If I weren't so sick of watching (which I feel obligated to do every time I buy another copy for some god-forsaken reason), I'd go for the world record.
Retired.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:02 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:It's not exactly a purchase, but I downloaded DBZ Season 1 from Microsoft's website, since it's free at the moment. This is my 4th (and hopefully final) copy of the Saiyan Arc. If I weren't so sick of watching (which I feel obligated to do every time I buy another copy for some god-forsaken reason), I'd go for the world record.
Someone call Mike!
Or is it Movie 1 he keeps getting new versions of?
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:24 pm

omegalucas wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:It's not exactly a purchase, but I downloaded DBZ Season 1 from Microsoft's website, since it's free at the moment. This is my 4th (and hopefully final) copy of the Saiyan Arc. If I weren't so sick of watching (which I feel obligated to do every time I buy another copy for some god-forsaken reason), I'd go for the world record.
Someone call Mike!
Or is it Movie 1 he keeps getting new versions of?
ITS Movie 1. Not Raditz.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:32 pm

lol That's funny. I have the original Pioneer singles, the Rock the Dragon set, the Ultimate Uncut singles (up until they cut off), orange brick, Blu-ray seasons, Japanese and U.S. Dragon Boxes, the Level Blu-rays, and Kai (if you count that) lol So I think I have you beat when it comes to having way too much the Saiyan arc. So, so much stuff lol AND I'm watching it on Funimation Now for the dub subtitles. The thought did cross my mind to get Season 1 from Microsoft because I wanted to see if it was like the Level Sets, but someone said it wasn't, so whew lol Then I also realized that the Level Set Blu-rays that I have go up to episode 34, so why would I get it?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:12 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:
lol That's funny. I have the original Pioneer singles, the Rock the Dragon set, the Ultimate Uncut singles (up until they cut off), orange brick, Blu-ray seasons, Japanese and U.S. Dragon Boxes, the Level Blu-rays, and Kai (if you count that) lol So I think I have you beat when it comes to having way too much the Saiyan arc. So, so much stuff lol AND I'm watching it on Funimation Now for the dub subtitles. The thought did cross my mind to get Season 1 from Microsoft because I wanted to see if it was like the Level Sets, but someone said it wasn't, so whew lol Then I also realized that the Level Set Blu-rays that I have go up to episode 34, so why would I get it?
Yeah, someone went and assumed that they were Levels without even watching first. It was me who actually checked and confirmed that they weren't, by the way.

Interestingly enough, the HD version isn't from the Blu-ray Seasons, either. It's just a 1080p version of the Orange Bricks. Also interestingly enough, there is no Japanese track or subtitles, only the two dub tracks. If you're interested in having that kind of thing, it's a good get. It's dirt cheap too, $55 for the whole series.
Retired.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:50 pm

It's okay. I own so many versions of the series (including a subscription to Funimation Now) that it would probably make me sick just clicking on the "Buy" button lol I'm curious as to how they compare to Funimation Now, though. I think that Funimation Now uses Blu-ray footage, but I'm not really all that sure. It looks better than the Orange Bricks, but I'm no expert, so I can't tell if it is just a 1080p version of the Orange Bricks.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:59 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:It looks better than the Orange Bricks, but I'm no expert, so I can't tell if it is just a 1080p version of the Orange Bricks.
If you'll send me a few screenshots of an episode between 1-39, and give me the episode number and time-stamp, I'll let you know. Also, if these are the same as FunimationNow's, these will look better, since you can download them. You do loose a bit of detail when streaming as compared to watching from a local source.
Retired.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:21 pm

Wait a minute...it's a 1080p version of the Orange Bricks? ...meaning the actual ones, not the Season Blu-Rays (which use a different transfer)?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:26 pm

That's what Jinzoningen MULE says. I haven't seen it for myself, but he seems to be very knowledgeable in this field.

I do recall an X-Box (Microsoft) release of the first "season" and people were saying that it used Level Set footage even further than was released (another one of the Level Sets was set to be released and it seems like its footage ended up on X-Box's store despite the release itself never happening).