What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: What's your most recent Dragonball purchase?

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:09 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:08 pmWatched a couple of scenes and I don't know if its my TV settings but the green tint is barely noticeable at all.
I had the same experience. It's there, but it's nowhere near as bad and noticeable as some make it out to be.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:39 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:09 pm
JEFFMAN219 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:08 pmWatched a couple of scenes and I don't know if its my TV settings but the green tint is barely noticeable at all.
I had the same experience. It's there, but it's nowhere near as bad and noticeable as some make it out to be.
Yup its still there but the image quality still looks fine to me

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:56 pm

Just recently picked up the third DBZ movie pack/Double Feature repackage collection on my last DVD run, thus i now have all thirteen in widescreen format. I'm still planning on eventually getting the rest of the remaining 4:3 single versions with only movies 4,5,6,7, and 9 remaining, seeing as unlike the series and specials proper the movies were animated with both aspect ratios in mind and can thus be watched either way.

DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:20 pm

Got the uncut VHS of Frieza Transformation(yeah that's how they spell his name on the home video releases for some reason) I got this close to getting the DVD for a reasonable price at an auction but I was broke at the time and someone else snatched it up, so I wound up settling for the tape instead. Hopefully this tape won't be worn out from use like the Bardock special tapes I had were(seriously I had to buy like three copies of Bardock on VHS before I found one that was watchable, first one the tape spool was messed up so it wouldn't play, second one was badly faded with fuzzy static to the point of being unwatchable, third one worked fine but immediately crapped out as soon as I ejected the tape after I was done watching it and the kicker is that was STILL cheaper then buying it on DVD).
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:36 pm

Got seasons 4 and 5 back on Thursday. Kinda pissed at Amazon because season 5's steelbook came in dented.

bernhard90
Not-So-Newbie

Post by bernhard90 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:54 pm

3x pioneer movies and 2x pioneer singles.

ImageIMG_2974 by Bernhard I, on Flickr

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:49 am

JEFFMAN219 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:36 pm Got seasons 4 and 5 back on Thursday. Kinda pissed at Amazon because season 5's steelbook came in dented.
Damn. These things are coming out super quickly, huh? I'm used to DBZ releases coming out once every three or four months or something.

By the way, sorry you got a dented copy. That happened to me with one of the movie DVDs. Definitely get an exchange.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:08 am

bernhard90 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:54 pm 3x pioneer movies and 2x pioneer singles.

Very nice! I’ve been wanting to at least get the Pioneer movies

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:47 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:08 am
bernhard90 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:54 pm 3x pioneer movies and 2x pioneer singles.

I've got all the Pioneer movie discs myself, albeit Dead Zone being the first run version with the CD jewel case minus cardboard package with World's Strongest and Tree of Might in the standard DVD cases. The dubs are by far the biggest reason to get these because they are the best/most accurate DB dubs of the pre Kai era and definitely superior to the later in house redubs.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:56 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:47 am

I've got all the Pioneer movie discs myself, albeit Dead Zone being the first run version with the CD jewel case minus cardboard package with World's Strongest and Tree of Might in the standard DVD cases. The dubs are by far the biggest reason to get these because they are the best/most accurate DB dubs of the pre Kai era and definitely superior to the later in house redubs.
Are the subtitles any good? I know Funimation getting Steve Simmons to do the subtitles for Z is seen as the one thing they absolutely got right but how do the Pioneer subs hold up in comparison?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:00 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:56 am

Are the subtitles any good? I know Funimation getting Steve Simmons to do the subtitles for Z is seen as the one thing they absolutely got right but how do the Pioneer subs hold up in comparison?
They're different for sure, i believe the person they had doing the subs for these (Rika Takahashi) and the subtitled VHS versions as well did fairly good translation wise for the time but not quite at the same level as Simmons or Clyde Mandelin on OG DB. Some examples of the translation differences i know of is when Goku returns and finds Chi-Chi after Garlic Jr's men have taken Gohan when she says "Goku-sa" the "-sa" part isn't translated or Bulma saying "Son-kun" as he takes off from Kame House as the last part is left out there as well.

Overall though, the translations are decent even if they aren't quite like the former two's.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:45 am

Bought Dragon Ball FighterZ Ultimate Edition, it was at 85% (15$). I already owned the game but didn't have any of the DLCs and this sale gave the most DLC characters (8 characters for the first Season Pass) for the least amount of money. Season Pass 2 and 3 were unfortunately not on sale :(.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

rajan_hoxha

Post by rajan_hoxha » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:43 pm

Not really a purchase, but I got Dragon Ball Xenoverse for Christmas and I love it!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:20 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:00 am

They're different for sure, i believe the person they had doing the subs for these (Rika Takahashi) and the subtitled VHS versions as well did fairly good translation wise for the time but not quite at the same level as Simmons or Clyde Mandelin on OG DB. Some examples of the translation differences i know of is when Goku returns and finds Chi-Chi after Garlic Jr's men have taken Gohan when she says "Goku-sa" the "-sa" part isn't translated or Bulma saying "Son-kun" as he takes off from Kame House as the last part is left out there as well.

Overall though, the translations are decent even if they aren't quite like the former two's.
If I recall correctly, they use the English names, right? Even if they were to say "Gyumao-sama," they just used "Ox-King," right? Otherwise, I thought they were good. Though, they were more like closed captions (complete with grunts and noises).

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:00 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:20 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:00 am

If I recall correctly, they use the English names, right? Even if they were to say "Gyumao-sama," they just used "Ox-King," right? Otherwise, I thought they were good. Though, they were more like closed captions (complete with grunts and noises).
Yeah that is correct, unlike Simmons and Mandelin's respective subtitle translations the ones used for the Pioneer movie releases here seem to lack some of the nuances and having the dub names over the more direct closer to Japanese pronounced way in which they are translated by the former.

The subs do look a little like closed captions, given they have more than just spoken dialogue.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:12 pm

I've got this one. Thinking about displaying it somewhere.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:43 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:12 pm I've got this one. Thinking about displaying it some
Thats awesome! Where did you get that?

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:05 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:43 pm
sunsetshimmer wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:12 pm I've got this one. Thinking about displaying it some
Thats awesome! Where did you get that?
From a guy who gets various DB related items from Japan and sells them in Poland for reasonable price.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

bernhard90
Not-So-Newbie

Post by bernhard90 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:38 am

7x steelcases. A little scratched, but he, I got them anyway. It is pretty hard to find all the original stuff in The Netherlands. :)
ImageIMG_3026 by Bernhard I, on Flickr

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:20 am

bernhard90 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:38 am 7x steelcases. A little scratched, but he, I got them anyway. It is pretty hard to find all the original stuff in The Netherlands. :)
ImageIMG_3026 by Bernhard I, on Flickr
I never knew that. Out of interest have you seen any Manga UK releases there? I'm curious because I vaguely recall seeing one of the orange bricks somewhere in Amsterdam in 2013.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: