Official ages, well Son Goku's at least...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Official ages, well Son Goku's at least...

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:49 pm

These are taken straight out of the DragonballZ Son Goku Legend book I just got for my Birthday ^_^

Son Goku is:
1 when Gohan finds him
12 when DB starts
15 when he fights King Piccolo
18/19 Last Tournament/Gets married

-so 8 years pass during DB

24 from Raditz to Freeza (kinda confused about that one)
29 during Androids/Cell arc
37 during Buu arc
47 during last Z tournament

-according to this, 24 years pass during Z.

Didnt a year pass from Radtiz to Vejiita? And I'm assuming almost close to another year passed from when they first landed on Namek to when Freeza was killed.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Official ages, well Son Goku's at least...

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:08 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:1 when Gohan finds him
OH... brings to mind...

In Japan, don't you start off from birth at age 1? Here, the next year on your first birthday you "turn one year old," fine, but ain't it different in Japan?

That can throw all of our calculated ages off quite a bit.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:12 pm

I dunno about those ages...Here's what I've come up with.

Son Goku was 12 when the series starts. By then time he looks for the dragon balls again and encounters the Red Ribbon Army, he is about 13. Three years pass and he fights in the 22nd Budoukai, and then defeats Daimaou. Another three years pass and he fights Ma Jr. So basically he is around 18 or 19 when he fights Ma Jr. And...isn't it five years that pass in between DB and DBZ?
He is around 24 when Raditz comes. He spends a year dead, but if you're going by his actual age, not physical...then he is 25 when fights Vegeta. By the time he fights Freeza, he is maybe 25 to 26. When the Cell story arc begins (when Android 19 and 20 first appear...I consider that to be part of the Cell saga), he is around 29, maybe 30. Seven years pass in between the Cell and Boo story arc, making him 37. When Dragon Ball finally ends, he is 47.
So basically, what I've come up with is pretty close to what your book says.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Sat Sep 18, 2004 3:12 pm

In Japan, don't you start off from birth at age 1? Here, the next year on your first birthday you "turn one year old," fine, but ain't it different in Japan?
I know that's true for China [Don't know if it's still used though]. And I believe they count with lunar calendar years, so you could be only born a month ago and still be 2 years old. >.~

Dunno if it's the same for Japanese though.
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

Detective X
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official ages, well Son Goku's at least...

Post by Detective X » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:15 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:29 during Androids/Cell arc
37 during Buu arc
So... Goku had birthdays when he was dead? Do the dead age?

Also, then, Goku would've been 29 during the Android saga, then 30 during the Cell saga due to the Room of Spirit and Time.
We Gotta Podcast: https://www.youtube.com/@wegottapod

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:57 pm

As I said, only if you count his actual age...meaning from the time he was born. Well, that wouldn't make sense, since age is how long you've been alive, and he was dead and all...
Basically, by actual age I mean the time since he was brought into existence...or something. His actual age was 47 at the end, and since he was dead for about eight years, his body was only 39. Well...it's confusing, since even while he was dead, he kept his body (at least the first time he died, I'm sure). You can't say for sure that he spent a whole year in the Room since he didn't spend an entire day training in it.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:50 am

For an Official book, its really not that accurate. As for starting out at 1, the book says he was 0 when he was sent to earth.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:25 am

Sun_Wukong wrote:For an Official book, its really not that accurate. As for starting out at 1, the book says he was 0 when he was sent to earth.
I guess that makes a little more sense. It took Nappa & Vegeta a year to reach Earth (of course, they weren't coming from Planet Vegeta, it not existing anymore, and all...).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:35 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Sun_Wukong wrote:For an Official book, its really not that accurate. As for starting out at 1, the book says he was 0 when he was sent to earth.
I guess that makes a little more sense. It took Nappa & Vegeta a year to reach Earth (of course, they weren't coming from Planet Vegeta, it not existing anymore, and all...).
However Earth was on the other side of the galaxy than the whole Saiyan+Freeza empire so it makes sense that it would take Goku AND Vegeta+Nappa a year. Just because planet Vegeta's gone doesn't mean Vegeta+Nappa would go to the other side of the galaxy, y'know?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Metrite
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Metrite » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:48 am

12 when DB starts
15 when he fights King Piccolo
That seems to be one year short. Because a year passed between when DB started and the 21st tournament(right when the tournament ended he went to find the DBs and they weren't stone any more, meaning it had been a year), and it was three years before the next tournament which he fought Piccolo after, so it had been four years. Unless his birthday was just a week or so after the 22nd tournament and it was really just almost three years between the two. :P

BTW, know of any place this Son Goku legend book can be found/ordered?

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:18 am

www.sasugabooks.com

That would probably be your best shot. They carry a lot of manga, artbooks, games, etc. Prices are good too.

... Just never hope to get a cheap DVD.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:53 pm

I got mine at www.animenation.com. My dad forgot to take the book mark out that all their products come with. whoops.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:50 pm

In regards to where the Japanese begin to count age, I know they used to start out at year one when a person was born (remembering back to a Japanese drama class I took and the teacher was mentioning how some of the young kabuki stars were even younger than the ages given because of the different aging system), but I'm pretty sure today they go by the Western method. So it's possible that Gokuu was sent to Earth as a newborn and was one year old when he arrived because the journey was so long. I don't see why they would randomly revert to the older aging system when talking about Gokuu's age in the book (though that certainly doesn't mean it isn't possible).
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube