New Live-Action Dragon Ball Photo(s) Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:12 pm

Chrono Trigger wrote:I meant that even if they did Dragon Ball in that "cartoony" style it would appeal to fans like us and the critics but it may not appeal to the mass audience (the people FOX are trying to appeal to) and the movie could still bomb. I'm not trying to make excuses for Fox I was just asking/saying...
And I'm just saying that I don't think it was how Speed Racer looked that made people not go to see the movie, but the content. At least, that's what left me uninterested.

Chrono Trigger
Advanced Regular

Post by Chrono Trigger » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:17 pm

MisterFlashDude wrote:And I'm just saying that I don't think it was how Speed Racer looked that made people not go to see the movie, but the content. At least, that's what left me uninterested.
Fair enough. I honestly never saw the appeal of Speed Racer myself (the anime) that's why I never went to see the movie. Dragon Ball is a lot more popular than Speed Racer so maybe they should have went the Speed Racer route. Some of the locations in the trailer did look bright and colorful though so maybe they did.
I completely respect your opinion, and I respect you. I enjoyed discussing this with you, even if I don't completely agree.

If we're all here for a reason then I'm just visiting.

If it's held in your heart then you can't let go.

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:19 pm

Well, I think Speed Racer bombed because it didn't really have an audience. I know I wasn't a fan of it, and most of it's older fans either were uninterested at this point or just waited for TV.

Same with the recent bombing of The Spirit. The Spirit comics have a very, very small fanbase. Frank Miller only did the movie because he was friends with Will Eisner and didn't want anyone else to do the movie. Besides the movie have a small audience, People shit on it because it "looked like Sin City" was "unoriginal" and "corny". Plus critics reamed it.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:26 pm

omegacwa wrote:Well, I think Speed Racer bombed because it didn't really have an audience. I know I wasn't a fan of it, and most of it's older fans either were uninterested at this point or just waited for TV.
Don't forget, Speed Racer also had Iron Man to compete with.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Olivier Hague
I Live Here

Post by Olivier Hague » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:19 am

Acid_Reign wrote:
Olivier Hague wrote:Bah, there was this picture of a Goten (I think?) cosplay that was pretty good, in that respect.
I just don't see that in a movie.
Well, obviously, I mean, it’s cosplay.
That's just a label. It's pretty faithful/good cosplay.
Hollywood could do it better
They could change things around. Add more leather. Make it darker. Y'know, the usual stuff.
it's one of the many "little things"...
Amongst what else? Just curious.
Kame Sennin is so funny! Live-action Kame Sennin is a creepy pedophile though.
Kulilin is such a nice character! Live-action Kulilin gives children nightmares though.
There are lots of things that are pretty integral to the "Dragon Ball overall ambiance" and work mainly because it's a cartoon. Change these things around to make them suitable for a live action movie, and you'd be better off coming up with a new title altogether.

MisterFlashdude wrote:The movie's a serious, real world-esque approach to a silly children's story.
Which, to me, is a completely stupid approach.
If you're embarrassed to be working on a silly story aimed at children, here's a protip: don't. Go make another movie.

(not that I believe you could make a good/faithful live-action adaptation of Dragon Ball anyway... like I said, I think the whole thing is a terrible idea to begin with)

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:20 am

Olivier Hague wrote:That's just a label. It's pretty faithful/good cosplay.
No, I like it; I just meant, the [typically] shoestring budget of cosplay makes its unaided entry into a movie less than ideal.
They could change things around. Add more leather. Make it darker. Y'know, the usual stuff.
I know that’s their tendency, but they have the talent, and the money, to make it look the way it’s supposed to without being too awkward.
Kame Sennin is so funny! Live-action Kame Sennin is a creepy pedophile though.
Kulilin is such a nice character! Live-action Kulilin gives children nightmares though.
There are lots of things that are pretty integral to the "Dragon Ball overall ambiance" and work mainly because it's a cartoon. Change these things around to make them suitable for a live action movie, and you'd be better off coming up with a new title altogether.
Eh, I see what you mean. But those are more challenges than brick walls, to me at least.
(not that I believe you could make a good/faithful live-action adaptation of Dragon Ball anyway... like I said, I think the whole thing is a terrible idea to begin with)
Someday I’ll prove you wrong! :P

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:52 pm

Snail wrote:Just throwing this out there.

Wouldn't it have been flippin' awesome if the film had a little montage a-la Lord Of The Rings: Fellowship of the Ring telling concerning the events that had occured in the childhood years of Goku and/or the creation and existence of the Dragonballs? Or perhaps a stylish montage/telling of the past as used in films such as Hellboy 2, and Dragon Tiger Gate. It'd make for a smoother transition into the following events that would occur as the film plays out imo.
I think that there may be some type of animated flashback like this in the beginning. Wasn't there news about some kind of animation work awhile back?(Although it might've been just CGI animation)
Snail wrote:we've got Tokio Hotel (just one example..shudders...)

Hey! I love Monsoon! :?
Kendamu wrote:So why would a Dragonball movie made for children be such a bad thing?
Because, according to US censorship, the Japanese version of "Made for children" and the US version of "Made for children" are two very seperate things.

Also, I'm betting they really just want an actiony DBZ movie, but decided they had to start at the original Dragonball for better/easier storytelling.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:21 pm

Big Momma wrote:
I think that there may be some type of animated flashback like this in the beginning. Wasn't there news about some kind of animation work awhile back?(Although it might've been just CGI animation)
I forgot to mention that I meant "as an intro to a late-DB, or Early DBZ movie" :P. Anyways, cool info, it should be interesting to see if it turns out to be fact.
Big Momma wrote:

Sorry, but any credibility or ounce of respect I had for the band came out the stink-hole after the whole lip-syncing debacle.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:28 pm

Snail wrote:
Big Momma wrote:

Sorry, but any credibility or ounce of respect I had for the band came out the stink-hole after the whole lip-syncing debacle.
Oh, I didn't know about that.(In fact, the only thing I know about the band is that one song, I dont' even know what they look like!)
But yeah, lip-syching can hurt a band.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

JAPPO
I Live Here

Post by JAPPO » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:29 pm

What are you talking about?
If challenge had a taste, you'd be quite delicious.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:33 pm

JAPPO wrote:What are you talking about?
Apparently this band lipsynchs.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:33 pm

bkev wrote:
JAPPO wrote:What are you talking about?
Apparently this band lipsynchs.
I think he meant the extremely-off-topic-ness. :P
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.