VIZ DBZ Manga translations

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbzlegendz

VIZ DBZ Manga translations

Post by dbzlegendz » Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:53 pm

Viz is the company that does the manga of Dragonball and Dragonball Z in the US right? Hows' the translation of it? Also, are these legit? (ebay)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 6928723340

I'm afrad to bid.. I've gotten jacked on ebay before (bootlegs).[/url]

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:08 am

Yes, these manga's are legit. Feel free to bid, it looks like a sweet deal.

EDIT: From what I understand, the translations are pretty acurate, but also contain a fair amount of minor edits and censors, expect Mr. Satan to be called H ercule.

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:12 am

Deus ex Machina wrote:EDIT: From what I understand, the translations are pretty acurate, but also contain a fair amount of minor edits and censors, expect Mr. Satan to be called H ercule.
Although the only censorship you'll find in the "Dragon Ball" volumes (without the "Z") is on Mr. Popo's lips (they're blacked-out, probably over concerns of racial stereotypes).
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:59 am

Does anyone else feel it was a pointless edit. In the actuall anime they never edited it, or cut out parts with him in it. If they did I would say this edit is justified, but it was never cut before.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:42 am

Viz has always had problems with angry (read:dumbass) parents I think, but they were pretty much the source for the closest thing to uncut and accurately translated DragonBall/Z you could get back in the day.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:07 pm

Izlude wrote:they were pretty much the source for the closest thing to uncut and accurately translated DragonBall/Z you could get back in the day.
The sweet days before the manga was edited! ^_^ back when DB and DBZ were released in a monthly "comic book" format! lol

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:20 pm

Well, even way back then, Popo's lips were still edited. Everything else though, intact!

I'm wondering though if Shueisha may have some part in this... they are like partners if Viz, right? I'm thinking maybe they are trying to get Viz to tone down their manga titles for the younger audiences a bit more. Wouldnt exactly be the first time ethier.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:20 pm

Izlude wrote:Well, even way back then, Popo's lips were still edited. Everything else though, intact!

I'm wondering though if Shueisha may have some part in this... they are like partners if Viz, right? I'm thinking maybe they are trying to get Viz to tone down their manga titles for the younger audiences a bit more. Wouldnt exactly be the first time ethier.
Gee, I could swear Popo's lips were unedited back then... hmmm... whatever! ^^ Anyways, I think you might be right, since Shuesha did edit out Bulma smoking in one of the early Dragonball Kanzenban.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:09 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:Gee, I could swear Popo's lips were unedited back then... hmmm... whatever! ^^ Anyways, I think you might be right, since Shuesha did edit out Bulma smoking in one of the early Dragonball Kanzenban.
Yeah, that was weird. And since they don't cover up her smoking later on the series, I guess it had something to do with her age at that point in the manga and/or the lack of the original source image (which they had obviously redrawn from scratch). Perhaps a little bit of both. :?

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:14 pm

All that for $60!?

I've said before that Viz does a pretty good job at translating, but there are a few instances where things could've been translated better. I'd buy them, if it weren't for my laziness and broke-ness.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:02 am

That book with the orange silhouette of Goku, what's that?? I've never seen it before.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:09 am

SonGokuGT wrote:Anyways, I think you might be right, since Shuesha did edit out Bulma smoking in one of the early Dragonball Kanzenban.
Which is funny, because in Yu Yu Hakusho, Yusuke smokes, and he is 2 years younger than Bulma. Speaking of YYH, I believe there is a Kanzenban of it being released. I'm wondering how it'll turn out compared to the DB Kanzenban.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:30 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Does anyone else feel it was a pointless edit. In the actuall anime they never edited it, or cut out parts with him in it. If they did I would say this edit is justified, but it was never cut before.
Repeated point! Go back to go. Do not collect 200 zenni.

From here:
PsyLiam wrote:
SonGokuGT wrote:
SDHero wrote: The thing about Mr. Popo's lips I get, he IS racially offensive ^^;;;
Then why didn't FUNi do anything about it?
Because (and I really don't want to sound patronising, but...) you do realise that changing the colour of his lips on every panel he appears is about a trillion billion times easier than having to digitally alter every single frame he appears in throughout the show, don't you?
SDHero wrote:Let's all please assume he does. :P

But, yeah Liam, that IS the problem right there, he's a walking, talking steryotype, and he's in the show ALL THE TIME. Funimation did the only thing they could, and gave him a very proper, educated voice to attempt to offset it a little bit. Go listen to his Japanese voice. They freakin' went along with what was drawn to accentuate it, and he talks in broken sentances AND refers to himself in the third person -_-;;;
Super Sonic wrote:With Assistant Black, in the manga anyways, his lips appear to be the same the same color as his skin. He just has full lips like a lot of African Americans do, myself included. It's when they're big red lips that the sambo thing comes into play.
Tsk, the attention spans of kids today. You even posted in that thread, y'know.
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:43 pm

PsyLiam's on the rampage! And he's got good points in his arsenal!

spikemcruffy
Beyond Newbie

Post by spikemcruffy » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:01 am

j
Last edited by spikemcruffy on Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:06 am

Very odd. Although perhaps less odd than the fact that Lunch doesn't turn up on the side until DBZ #6, which is 6 graphic novels after the last one she was in.

And it's definitely less odd than the fact that Yajirobe appears twice. I know his attention span is bad, but seriously, didn't he have the previous novels in front of him to check?

I do love the fact though that it's a continuous piece of art drawn over 10 years. Not something you see every day, that.
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:49 pm

spikemcruffy wrote:Yo whats up with the last volume of dragon ball on that auction , its picture on the spine is the same as dbz #1 , its very odd , must be a misprint. :lol:
Yeah, I noticed and heard about how Viz messed up with that. Personally I didn't care about the spine. But I know they made a similar mistake with vol. 2 of One Piece originally with it ending with the wrong pages.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:30 pm

It's simple.

Viz published DBZ starting from DB volume 16 1/2 (or something), and called in DB volume 17. In Japan, tankoubon 17 contained the end of the fight between Ma Jr. and Son Goku, and the beginning of the Saiyan story arc. But this would be confusing, considering that Viz planned to publish both DB and DBZ at the same time. So they took the first part of 17 and squished it into 16, and left the remainder of 17 as DBZ. That's why Viz's 16 contains the same spine picture as their 17.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:59 pm

I'm not sure you've got that right. DBZ #1/DB #17 had the post fight celebrations removed and placed in the previous novel, but it should still have the correct graphic for DB vol #17 (and it does).

The US version of #16 has the extra stuff taken from the beginning of Jap #17 put on the end, but it's still 80% the same as the Japanese version, and therefore should have the same picture on the spine that the Japanese version of #16 has.

The only way your explanation makes sense is if Viz have added a new graphic novel, which would bring the series total up to 43. Which they haven't, unless I've got this completely wrong.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Sep 25, 2004 11:03 pm

PsyLiam wrote:The US version of #16 has the extra stuff taken from the beginning of Japanese #17 put on the end, but it's still 80% the same as the Japanese version, and therefore should have the same picture on the spine that the Japanese version of #16 has.
This is a known problem... I sent in for a replacement (and you could, as well). Info is here:
http://www.viz.com/news/newsroom/2004/08_dbrecall.php

8)