Do you think Viz will...

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

johnboy1
Regular

Do you think Viz will...

Post by johnboy1 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:33 pm

You think there's any chance Viz would translate and release the Daizenshuu and Perfect Files into the English-speaking world? Anyone with a knowledge of the overseas market knows that these books are DB gold mines. It could easily make a lot of money and I guarantee the fans will LOVE it. Sure, they might replace Hercule with the dreaded H-word, but I could bear it.

While I'd be satisfied with that, a "perfect world" scenario would have them release "Tenka-ichi Densetsu", "Son Gokuu Densetsu", "Dragonball Landmark", and "Dragonball Forever" while they're at it. And what the heck? Translate the Kanzenban and Tankoubon, too!

Wow, my demands are becoming more and more unreasonable the more I type...

I know it'll never happen, but a boy can dream, can't he?

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:13 am

Well, I just gatherd all the Dragonball's and I was going to to wish for a cure for Cancer but... I guess... I could wish for English translation's of those books *sigh*

Well seriously I think that would be great if they did but they will NEVER do it. NEVER! maybe they'd make there own perhaps.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:07 am

It could happen, quite a few anime/manga have had guides and artbooks released.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:13 pm

First off...

Tankoubon = Graphic Novels
Kanzenban = Special Edition Versions of GN's

Now that that's clear... I think it's possible since Viz did release a few artbooks (Like Inu-Yasha), but with Dragonballs kinda dying popularity... I don't really see them doing it now...

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 6:02 pm

SonGokuGT wrote:First off...

Tankoubon = Graphic Novels
Kanzenban = Special Edition Versions of GN's
Whoops, shows what I know about Japanese. By tankoubon, I meant the graphic novels made for the movies and specials.

Speaking of which, Mirai Trunks had a "special chapter" in the manga that told his story, right? If so, did they also make a tankoubon for his TV special? It would seem kind of pointless if they did...

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:57 pm

I could possibly see THAT happening... since they did release the Yu-Gi-Oh movie Ani-Manga. About the Trunks chapter... It's part of the regular manga.

*PINHEAD*
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by *PINHEAD* » Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:17 pm

Yah, Trunks portion that shows his background in the future is a chapter long segment, and the animation special, as far as I know, was based on it. But if you meant that special tankoubon thing of movies, where they take stills from the movies and put word bubbles...I don't know.
I was voted "most unique" and "most likely to become the next existential thinker" in high school.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:22 pm

johnboy1 wrote:Whoops, shows what I know about Japanese. By tankoubon, I meant the graphic novels made for the movies and specials.
I tend to call those "movie comics", though I think they're officially published as "Jump Anime Comics".
johnboy1 wrote:Speaking of which, Mirai Trunks had a "special chapter" in the manga that told his story, right? If so, did they also make a tankoubon for his TV special? It would seem kind of pointless if they did...
Hmm... Good question. I've never seen or heard of one, myself, but I seem to recall one for the Bardock special. The Toriyama manga version of the Trunks special is a bit different than the TV special, though, so it wouldn't be completely pointless if a separate movie comic version to exist.

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:03 pm

My cousin has one for the Anime comic Trunks Special, so it exists :)

[OK, it's the Cantonese one, but just the translation of the Japanese version, same cover etc]
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:50 pm

I just realized something: The Daizenshuu's and Perfect Files can't be released in the U.S. as is because of the way Japanese text reads! The whole "right-to-left" text thing is okay for something as visually oriented as a comic book, but I don't think it could work for a text-oriented guide.

I guess we'll have to make due with the guides we have in English. After a quick search, I turned up these books:

Pojo's Unofficial Total Dragon Ball Z
Pojo's Unofficial Absolute Dragon Ball Z
Dragon Ball Z: An Unauthorized Guide
The Dragon Ball Z Legend: The Quest Continues

That's just about all we've got in America, and I don't know everything that's in them. Prior to a few weeks ago, I hadn't even heard of that last one. What's in it?

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:36 pm

I really wouldn't recommend Pojo's Unofficial Total Dragon Ball Z, I own it and it's riddled with spelling and gramatical errors, as well as inacurate information.

Izlude
Regular

Post by Izlude » Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:29 pm

johnboy1 wrote:The whole "right-to-left" text thing is okay for something as visually oriented as a comic book, but I don't think it could work for a text-oriented guide.
See Viz's release of Battle Royal (novel) and Inuyasha+Ranma 1/2 (Artbook+Guide)

spikemcruffy
Beyond Newbie

Post by spikemcruffy » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:08 pm

j
Last edited by spikemcruffy on Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:47 pm

Wait, let me figure this for a moment...

Okay, you're getting all 60 issues for $5, but it will cost $55 in total. SHIPPING TO YOUR PLACE COSTS $50?! Where do you live, Tahiti?!

Not to mention the fact that there are only 42 graphic novels, not 60.

johnboy1
Regular

Post by johnboy1 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:29 pm

Well, I'm still lamenting the would-be bliss of having the Daizenshuu's in English.

Anywho, I'm considering trying to collect the entire DB manga, one graphic novel at a time. Why do that now? Because I'll be turning 18 next year and this is my last chance to leech off my parents.

Should I get the novels now, or should I wait and see if they release the Kanzenban in America? Do you even think they will?

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:23 pm

Just collect the Shonen Jump novels! I mean, The chances of a Kanzenban release here are HIGHLY unlikely, since Americans are not as hardcore/loyal fans as the Japanese tend to be. But at $7.95 a novel they are an easy buy, and easy to get your parents to buy them for you! ha ha!

Enjoy leeching off your parents... while it lasts!! ^o^