Insights and Questions from the New Special

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:13 pm

MisterFlashdude wrote:My thoughts on this-

I really liked it for what it was, which was a quick burst of fan-service. That being said...

*Uber-glowy Super Saiya-jin hair. Don't like the look of it, fortunately the characters seemed to drop out of the form very quickly when they used it.

*Random Lunch. The hell? The turtle gets dialog but she doesn't? That had such potential! "Hey Lunch, where the hell have you been the last few decades? How comes you haven't aged? Did you kill Tenshinhan? He doesn't seem to be here..."

*Goten, Kuririn and Yamcha wearing the dogi under their clothes. At the time, I was wondering how many times I'd have to see someone's clothes being thrown up into the air.

*Tarble. Uh... What a waste. What botched execution. I don't like Vegeta seeming to greet him so nonchalantly, Vegeta having loudly declared that "There are no more Saiya-jins" in the past. A quick "Oh, you're alive?" or something could've defused that, but as it stands it doesn't rub me the right way.
And I don't see his significance here. All he seemed to do was drag the villain behind him and then stand around radiating a lack of personality. No reaction to seeing more Saiya-jins than his brother, half-breeds, Super Saiya-jins... No real input what so ever after his introduction. Very disappointing.
Hey there was others present as well that did not get any dialogue.

I agree about the whole Tarble introduction, extra commentary would have helped. They could have also provided a flashback concerning his first encounter with Avo and Cado.

I guess this could be explained by the fact that they were limited in time and so they had to be selective in what they could cover.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

MisterFlashdude
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisterFlashdude » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:16 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:Hey there was others present as well that did not get any dialogue.
I know, I know... but she's the one who went missing without an explanation 1/3 of the way through the story and now she's back. I did a double-take the second I saw her. I wanted so desperately for someone to point out she's been gone, but nothing... :(

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:25 pm

MisterFlashdude wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:Hey there was others present as well that did not get any dialogue.
I know, I know... but she's the one who went missing without an explanation 1/3 of the way through the story and now she's back. I did a double-take the second I saw her. I wanted so desperately for someone to point out she's been gone, but nothing... :(
Given the nature of the Z-Senshi’s relationships, it is no big deal if someone is missing for a long time. I guess Tenshinhan and Chiaotzu were missing for over 10 years that is until the events of GT occurred. Tenshinhan did say that they probably would not see each other again after the events of the Cell Saga. Except for a few brief appearances during the Buu Saga we did not see him until GT.

Drayenko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Drayenko » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:37 pm

Why there's no Ten Shin Han and/or Chiaotzu? :?

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:38 pm

Drayenko wrote:Why there's no Ten Shin Han and/or Chiaotzu? :?
Look above.

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:43 pm

5. In their base form chibi Trunks and Goten is as strong as Freeza.
I'm not so sure about this. Keep in mind that Freeza stated that he never went beyond his 2'nd Form. So I'd more say their Base Forms rank around the 3'rd Form Freeza level. To me this is more logical and makes more sense. Considering Base Kid Trunks could barely handle 150x Gravoity Pre-25'th Budokai. Considering they started to slack off it wouldn't make sense for him to be THAT strong.

Drayenko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Drayenko » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:43 pm

Yeah, Sorry xP

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Insights and Questions from the New Special

Post by Kid Trunks » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:02 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:5. In their base form chibi Trunks and Goten is as strong as Freeza.
I always believed, but now its official.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:20 pm

Well, keep in mind, for all 99.99% of the universe knew, first-form Freeza was the only Freeza.

But it doesn't really matter either way.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:31 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:Well, keep in mind, for all 99.99% of the universe knew, first-form Freeza was the only Freeza.

Actually, it kinda does. :P

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:55 pm

Gozar wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:Well, keep in mind, for all 99.99% of the universe knew, first-form Freeza was the only Freeza.

Why does it matter?

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:57 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Gozar wrote:

Why does it matter?
Freeza's first form was considerably weaker than his final form.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:07 pm

Zuhalter2000 wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Gozar wrote: Actually, it kinda does. :P
Why does it matter?
Regardless of which form Avo and Cado resembled as individuals the real issue is the big rise in power that their method of fusion provides. It blows the Metamoran version out of the water and if they did have first form Freeza level combat strength then their fusion is even more impressive.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:15 pm

LOL gotta love Vegeta's posture in the chair as he's giving a disgusted look to Bulma.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:26 pm

For those who missed it, 18 mentions that she sensed a strong ki when the pods land.

She is mostly human though, so there's no reason she couldn't have learned.

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:38 pm

As pointed out in the first thread, she sensed ki in the Buu arc.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:47 pm

B-kun wrote:As pointed out in the first thread, she sensed ki in the Buu arc.
Don't remember that. Do you know if it was in the manga?

Gozar
Advanced Regular

Post by Gozar » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:08 am

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Zuhalter2000 wrote:
Saiyan-Professor wrote: Why does it matter?
Regardless of which form Avo and Cado resembled as individuals the real issue is the big rise in power that their method of fusion provides. It blows the Metamoran version out of the water and if they did have first form Freeza level combat strength then their fusion is even more impressive.
It would see that way. They did it quicker and I doubt it even has a time limit (Pure speculation).

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:32 am

Gozar wrote:...It would see that way. They did it quicker and I doubt it even has a time limit (Pure speculation).
In an earlier post, I called it “Fusion Vogue” because they just performed a pose and then “Merged”. If Toei had thought of this new fusion earlier it would have made the Super Saiyan 4 fusion a lot easier and a stronger Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta (if that was even possible), during the battle against Yi Xing Long.

On another note, I was wondering about #18’s comments regarding Tarble’s combat strength. She said that she sensed “a powerful Ki approaching”. Vegeta said that Tarble was “sent to a remote star because he could not fight” by their father. So apparently in light of #18’s comment Tarble may have been born with an impressive combat strength but for some strange reason he lacked the Saiyan ability to fight. Does anyone have any thoughts on this point?

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:36 am

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
Gozar wrote:...It would see that way. They did it quicker and I doubt it even has a time limit (Pure speculation).
In an earlier post, I called it “Fusion Vogue” because they just performed a pose and then “Merged”. If Toei had thought of this new fusion earlier it would have made the Super Saiyan 4 fusion a lot easier and a stronger Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta (if that was even possible), during the battle against Yi Xing Long.

On another note, I was wondering about #18’s comments regarding Tarble’s combat strength. She said that she sensed “a powerful Ki approaching”. Vegeta said that Tarble was “sent to a remote star because he could not fight” by their father. So apparently in light of #18’s comment Tarble may have been born with an impressive combat strength but for some strange reason he lacked the Saiyan ability to fight. Does anyone have any thoughts on this point?
Well, first of all...in context, it seems like it was meant to be one of those instances where a huge build-up was made for something to be comically unworthy of it.

But, I'd say that it means that the Ki is simply strong for a group of humans. Especially since he "proved no match" for a couple mini-Freezas, whatever form.