Old Dragonball Z Newspaper/etc Articles.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Old Dragonball Z Newspaper/etc Articles.

Post by Big Momma » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:31 am

I was looking through the "DBZUncensored" archive, and stumbled across these. I thought they were pretty interesting.

Wall Street Journal - Kids Are Glued to a Violent Japanese Cartoon Show
Part 1 | Part 2

This article talks about violence in the series and how it affects kids, etc. I like how the liscensing executives practically insulted young American boys when they told Funimation that they "wouldn't have the attention span" to sit through a series like this. An interesting read from long ago.

-----------------------

The Dallas Observer - International Incident (January 20, 2000)
Link

I have yet to read all of it, but from the looks of it it deals with FUNimation and it's relationship with DBZ. Apparently, VegettoEX has written his thoughts on it a long time ago. Unfortunately, the link was dead. Perhaps he still has what he wrote stored away somewhere? :wink:

--------------------------

TV Guide - Year of the Dragon
Part 1 | Part 2

This TV Guide article talks of the popularity of DBZ in the states.

-------------------------------

Overall, these were very interesting articles to read from way back when DBZ was semi-new here in the states. A lot has changed since these articles were written and it makes me feel nostalgic. Here is the link that I got all of these from. The ones I didn't use were because the links were broken or just old.

Thoughts? Comments? :D
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Gogeta 00
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta 00 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:53 am

Wow, it's been a nostalgic day, I think I had that TV guide at some point, but it's long gone now :( . If Mike every brings back the "From The Past Friday" segment, these would be pretty cool additions.

Super 17
Regular

Post by Super 17 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:58 am

gogeta 00 wrote:From The Past Friday
Wow I totally forgot about that. I guess he never did a second one or was it a third one?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:00 am

Ohhh man! Back in the day, a long, long time ago, back when I subscribed to TV Guide, I kept that issue for like 2 years! lol That picture of Goku and Frieza "locking up" is awesome.

The first newspaper clipping gives the show a bad name though :(

Gogeta 00
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gogeta 00 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:07 am

Super 17 wrote:
gogeta 00 wrote:From The Past Friday
Wow I totally forgot about that. I guess he never did a second one or was it a third one?
I think he did 2 of them, the audio clips for the dub voice of pilaf and someone else that I cant remember, Shuu maybe?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:07 am

These articles are so hilarious (and show just how big Dragon Ball was back in the day compared to today's heavy hitters in the U.S.).

I mean, you don't find loads of newspaper articles about Viz's current big three.

Knowing we had all these articles makes me proud. :D

Also, their brief descriptions of Gundam and Tenchi are hysterical. X3

So much comparison to Pokémon. Almost all these articles mention it (a testament to how huge that series was as well).

It makes me wish for the old school weekday Toonami of days past SO badly. Oh Midnight Run, how I wish you were on right now.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:12 am

When they started Midnight Run, it was like the coolest feeling ever. Being like what was I, 11 or something? And staying up until 12, getting that Toonami intro. Man, good times. The Midnight Run is how I recorded a lot of my Dragon Ball Z on tape (before getting all of it on DVD). The very first recording I did of DBZ, I remember it was the first time it was on at midnight and I don't think it was part of the Toonami Midnight Run because my "DBZ#1" video starts off with one of those little pre-show things they used to do. Like it starts off with a Cartoon Network sign and Flinstones style music. Barney Rubble walks over to the sign and he's missing an eye or something. So he takes out the little circle from the O in "Cartoon" and walks away. Then right into the "Rock the Dragon" theme song. Say what you will, say it sucked, whatever, but THAT'S how I got into Dragon Ball Z. And I know that it was censored to hell, but I actually bought the old terribly censored Pioneer DVDs because to me, that right there is nostalgia.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:12 am

Chuquita wrote: It made me wish for the old school weekday Toonami of days past SO badly. Oh Midnight Run, how I wish you were on right now.
That's what I got out of it too, I miss Toonami.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:24 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:The first newspaper clipping gives the show a bad name though :(
Hmm, "impalement" and "strangulation" would have caught my interest and probably convinced me to give the show a chance. But since parents were probably the ones reading that articles, it probably did give the show a bad name, to most parents.
----------------------------------------------------
It's funny how they use a picture where Freeza comes up to the waist of an obviously more buff Goku to describe Freeza as "menacing" in that first article.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Side note: I'm pretty happy right now because the team that beat us in the playoffs just won the state championship in football. If you're going to lose, it's good to lose to the best. Congratulations Skyline!!

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:01 pm

SSj_Rambo wrote:
TheGreatness25 wrote:The first newspaper clipping gives the show a bad name though :(
Hmm, "impalement" and "strangulation" would have caught my interest and probably convinced me to give the show a chance. But since parents were probably the ones reading that articles, it probably did give the show a bad name, to most parents.
My parents(Well, my dad) didn't mind the violence at all. In fact, my dad was a fan along with me and my brother. We'd all watch it every day. This was way back when I was in 4th Grade, too.

I guess some parents are just strung too tight.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

jda95
Advanced Regular

Post by jda95 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:30 pm

Is strangulation even a word? :roll:

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:55 pm

Besides the Goku vs. Piccolo fight from Dragonball, were there any scenes more violent than the two that they showcased (Krillin's death and Vegeta's death by Freeza)? Besides Babidi's head being punched off by Buu, which I think was really edited, those two moments were the most brutal that I can recall. Ahh media sensationalism. You gotta love it.

Nonetheless, interesting articles. I wonder what their reaction would have been to Yu Yu Hakusho had it come first (frequent and particularly violent deaths, hearing bones crack and snap fairly often, scenes of torture, etc.).

jda95 wrote:Is strangulation even a word? :roll:
Yes, usually preceded by "death by," "torture by," etc.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:04 pm

xzero wrote:Besides the Goku vs. Piccolo fight from Dragonball, were there any scenes more violent than the two that they showcased (Krillin's death and Vegeta's death by Freeza)? Besides Babidi's head being punched off by Buu, which I think was really edited, those two moments were the most brutal that I can recall. Ahh media sensationalism. You gotta love it.
The two I can think of right now are Goku getting nearly squeezed to death and getting his legs crushed by Great Ape Vegeta, and Goku and Raditz getting killed by the Special Beam Cannon.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:44 pm

The TV Guide article describes the plot of the show as "Goku and his son Gohan, and Vegeto save the earth from alien evildoers called Saiyans."

I was assistant editor for my high school newspaper, I know what it's like to write about things you don't care about but c'mon. Is it really that hard to do a quick internet search or read a plot synopsis?

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:25 pm

I love how they refer to Tenchi as a "ladies man". :lol:

And how is Freeza supposed to look "menacing" when they make him look two feet tall? :roll:
In Japan, where "Dragon Ball Z" aired in prime time before going off the air, the show became a cultural phenomenon - thoug by Japanese standards its level of violence was considered mainstream.
Yes, because the Japanese aren't a bunch of pussy-pansies who think that smashing a Tamagotchi is detrimental to our children.
It's Japanimazing!
*proceeds to spew*

Well, guess that's all for me, folks, I gotta clean this mess up...
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:56 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
xzero wrote:Besides the Goku vs. Piccolo fight from Dragonball, were there any scenes more violent than the two that they showcased (Krillin's death and Vegeta's death by Freeza)? Besides Babidi's head being punched off by Buu, which I think was really edited, those two moments were the most brutal that I can recall. Ahh media sensationalism. You gotta love it.
The two I can think of right now are Goku getting nearly squeezed to death and getting his legs crushed by Great Ape Vegeta, and Goku and Raditz getting killed by the Special Beam Cannon.
While I concede both of those, they were both heavily edited when they originally aired on TV. Does anyone remember, however, if there was any negative reaction when the Ultimate Uncut versions aired on Cartoon Network? I stopped watching DBZ on TV after the middle of the Buu Saga, so I don't know how "uncut" the UUE versions were when they aired.

LSSJ4
Beyond Newbie

Post by LSSJ4 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:00 am

xzero wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:
While I concede both of those, they were both heavily edited when they originally aired on TV. Does anyone remember, however, if there was any negative reaction when the Ultimate Uncut versions aired on Cartoon Network? I stopped watching DBZ on TV after the middle of the Buu Saga, so I don't know how "uncut" the UUE versions were when they aired.
They were completely uncut, no digital underwear, no airbrushing, etc.

Yi Xing Long
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Yi Xing Long » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:11 am

xzero wrote: While I concede both of those, they were both heavily edited when they originally aired on TV. Does anyone remember, however, if there was any negative reaction when the Ultimate Uncut versions aired on Cartoon Network? I stopped watching DBZ on TV after the middle of the Buu Saga, so I don't know how "uncut" the UUE versions were when they aired.
They were completely uncensored and even had mild swearing (ie. damn, bastard(?)) if I remember correctly. All of the blood, middle fingers, penises, and such were left intact.

xzero
Regular

Post by xzero » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:25 am

Were there any parent groups protesting it at the time, or had they moved on to something else?

Zenkai Power
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai Power » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:57 am

xzero wrote:Were there any parent groups protesting it at the time, or had they moved on to something else?
They weren't as popular as Dragon Ball so they didn't get as much attention therefore they could get away with it much easier... eventually DBZ got away with more as time went on eh?