Tienshinhan DVD set cover

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Tienshinhan DVD set cover

Post by Sun_Wukong » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:48 am

I dont know if anyone else other than EX would be interested in this, but here you go

Funi really puts the randomest characters on their covers. Man-Wolf? Come on.....

Edit: aw crap, its up on the site already.....

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:00 am

They seem to be getting slightly more lazy with those covers as time as gone on. Originally, they filled almost every bit of space on the cover with something, but now we've got big white chunks all over the top of it.

You'd think that Tenshinhan would be a bit bigger too, or at least in the centre. It is his DVD, after all. And they could have found a better picture of Bulma, surely? She's not got any shading on her at all.

Still, at least Yamcha's there. Yay for Yamcha!
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
[i]-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden[/i]

Hikari_dashita
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Hikari_dashita » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:03 am

Wouldn't logic say that it should of really just been tien and Goku on the cover with maybe bulma, yamcha and anyone else shown on the rear side of the case?
NEKOJIN =^.^=

Nekojin =^.^=

Ya I like cat people so what?

Adamant
I Live Here

Re: Tienshinhan DVD set cover

Post by Adamant » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:12 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote: Funi really puts the randomest characters on their covers. Man-Wolf? Come on.....
Hey, at least it's better than last time, where they placed some ugly guy I can't remember the name of, who was in a filler episode toward the end of the set. Man-Wolf is in more than one epiosde.

They should've used Pilaf on the last set. Who doesn't like Pilaf?

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:33 pm

Yeah, that cover is pretty fugly alright. Atleast it's better than the DBZ and GT covers though. Except the "Lost Episodes" discs, for some reason they just look more appealing. :?

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:44 pm

I could've sworn I saw a different version of that cover somewhere before...
Deus ex Machina wrote:Yeah, that cover is pretty fugly alright. Atleast it's better than the DBZ and GT covers though. Except the "Lost Episodes" discs, for some reason they just look more appealing. :?
All the DBGT DVD coovers are pretty appealing! The only thing I hate is that some of the character pics are just, shall we say, GOD-AWFUL! Mainly Trunks on "Rejection", These pics are Obviously traced in Adobe Illustrator to make them vector graphics and therefore more versatile. But honestly you can tell there was no effort behind some of them... like Trunks. I should show u guys a pic of Goku I did in illustrator, It's truely like 10 times better!

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:48 pm

That image has been floating around since early August, I think. Somehow, this is my least favorite of the DB covers. I don't know quite what it is...maybe the characters' colors.

I really must mourn the absence of Tsurusennin, though. :cry:

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:13 pm

I agree that that's a really bad pic of Buruma. And is it just me, or does that hair and the red top make her look almost like they stuck Majin Buu era Buruma on the cover?
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:29 pm

She really does hide her age well, doesn't she?
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:36 pm

Out of curiosity, why do people give a flying flip about the cover of a dvd? I always thought it was what was on the dvd, that was important.

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:20 pm

I'm so tired of hearing people say that packaging isn't important, just to cover for the fact that these covers are ugly and extremly lazy. If it doesn't matter to you then fine, just take out the cover and print a white sheet of paper with the episode names on it. The rest of us want something half good.
Last edited by Deus ex Machina on Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:21 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out of curiosity, why do people give a flying flip about the cover of a dvd? I always thought it was what was on the dvd, that was important.
Well Its mostly because....

1. FUNimation really didn't put any effort into the cover's, Fan's of the show have made better cover. (I think we remeber THAT contest )

2. If you collect these things its important cause you would like your collection to look good. Also when you have all of these DVD's on your shelf they look pretty bad next to some other awsome covers, like you really can't put a Dragonball DVD next to a Evangelion Platnum Edition Cover.

And besides, You'd feel pretty disgusted it you where to eat a cookie out of a cookie jar that looked exactly like shit.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:24 pm

Fans may be able to make "better looking" covers, but they also don't have to license every little piece of artwork they want to use :P.

Also, if you're just talking about what it all looks like next to other volumes of anime on your shelf, we're assuming you've got them all next to each other with the spines facing out... in which case... the DB volumes look pretty kick-ass :D.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:25 pm

Deus ex Machina wrote:I'm so tired of hearing people say that packaging isn't important, just to cover for the fact that these covers are ugly and extremly lazy. If it doesn't matter to you then fine, just take out the cover and print a white sheet of paper with the episode names on it. The rest of us want something half good.
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. It's just that I have heard many nerds saying, "I'm not going to buy this dvd, because the cover looks ugly." It was sounding like that to me.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:21 pm

If I'm interested in a DVD's content, I'd still buy it in spite of any awful cover art. But that doesn't mean I have to keep quiet if I don't like the art. (Not that I'd go into any kind of tirade over it, though.) I thought most of the DB covers were fairly well done, actually. But this one and Baba, I don't really like as much as the others.

Deus ex Machina

Post by Deus ex Machina » Sat Oct 02, 2004 4:18 pm

Super Sonic wrote:
Deus ex Machina wrote:I'm so tired of hearing people say that packaging isn't important, just to cover for the fact that these covers are ugly and extremly lazy. If it doesn't matter to you then fine, just take out the cover and print a white sheet of paper with the episode names on it. The rest of us want something half good.
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. It's just that I have heard many nerds saying, "I'm not going to buy this dvd, because the cover looks ugly." It was sounding like that to me.
Yeah, that would be pretty stupid. The cover is the icing on the cake; I'd still buy the product even if the cover was atrocious, but that doesn't mean they should get away with being lazy. Although, the DB covers are still the best of the 3 series. The DBZ covers have very little constinency, and the GT covers look like they were made in the 80's.

SpiritBomb
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SpiritBomb » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:30 pm

They could of done way better with that cover, if you didin't know what saga this was it would be hard to guess its his saga. I also have to add how the amount of white spaces really bug me.

Ah well, DVD is all that matters. Thats pretty crazy if you don't buy it just because you dislike the cover. Have you seriously met people like that?
Some day, you'll be wishing for today.

http://gogocookiedough.blogspot.com/

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:49 pm

No, but I've heard some of the DBZOA-type brigade (not necessarily the actual DBZOA, just to be clear) use the bad cover art as an excuse to buy fansubs rather than the official merchandise.

SDHero
Beyond Newbie

Post by SDHero » Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:56 pm

Um, is it just me, or do Bulma's breasts look a little, uh, larger, than usual in that cover pic? Maybe she's at a weird angle or something...

*cough* uh, anyways...
SJ Dragonball Graphic Novel, Volume 9, page 60. That is all.

reckless_youth

Post by reckless_youth » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:26 pm

I've been waiting for this to come out since last year, I preordered it and have already seen half of it. I would just like to say my love for Launch grows more and more with every DB dvd I purchase, she's HILARIOUS. Too bad this is the last DB dvd to come out, I have them all now, minus the very beginning.

Tonight I will watch the rest in a drunken stupor and give you all a hungover review tomorrow.

BTW, does anyone know when "Sleeping Princess In Devils Castle" will come out with the dual language option, like the series dvds?
[color=darkred][size=75]Initiate. Blood purge. Coalition in massacre. Mechanized. High tech. Wholesale death in effect. Mutually. Assured...destruction will occur. Genocide. Revised. Same pain through diverse eyes. CAN'T STOP THE WARRING FACTIONS! CAN'T STOP THE WARRING FACTIONS! Hostile from the start...ALWAYS WAR ALWAYS...ENDING BITTER PEACE...Not the last. Third war. Blood spills forever more. Patriot. Hard line. Lay siege till the end of time.[/size][/color]