How long did it take you to get into Dragon Ball/Z?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

How long did it take you to get into Dragon Ball/Z?

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:10 am

When you first saw it, were you immediately hooked or did it take some time?

Myself, I think it took a few weeks.

I came in around SSJ Goku vs. Freeza (maybe a bit sooner, I remember seeing some with Vegeta still alive... I think it was the episode where he threw the Dragon Balls out of Freeza's ship), so it wasn't a good start for an ADD 10 year old, so it took a little while. That's not to say it didn't interest me. Even when I wasn't watching, I would ask my sister what was going on. I don't remember how long it took, but I soon became a fanatic, collecting all the tazos and stuff.

So yeah, what are everyone's stories?
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Snail
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Snail » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:15 am

I was immediately hooked from exposure to the first 13-episode (although, heavily edited) Dragonball broadcast in Canada. I'd say this was back in 95', 96'? I'd have been six or seven years of age. Not a care in the world, except Power Rangers, playing tag, and Dragonball.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:22 am

I too was instantly hooked on the heavily edited dub of the first 13 episodes of DB. At the time I thought due to the look it was an 80s american toon (half right :P), to which even today I have a deep love of. This in addition to the comedy value hooked me right off.
-Laserkid

Gojan

Post by Gojan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:15 am

For me it was probably just around the start of the Freeza saga, I got interested and watched 95% of the time but didn't get really hooked until the Trunks saga, after that I started collecting the tazos, buying the figures, VHS' and so on.

Good times. :D

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:46 am

Well, the first episode certainly already caught my interest. I remember one day that I headed for school some time after that and I wondered what would happen to Yamcha because back then I liked him best XD So, I'm guessing that around the Saiyajin saga I became addicted.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:48 am

I watched the dub right from the start and really enjoyed it. I'd already been an anime fan for years already, and in those days it was tough to find a lot to watch, so I didn't pass up the chance to watch something consistently like that.

Soon afterward I started getting the manga. Since then I've gone through phases of being obsessed with Dragon Ball in general.

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:29 am

I was hooked when I watched Dragon Ball (not z) on Cartoon Network. I would run home from the bus stop so I didn't miss it. My grandma was so patient when she watched it with me, she probably had no idea what was going on.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:03 am

I was pretty much hooked immediately, during the initial broadcast of the Ocean cast dub in Australia in '99, I had my kid sister tape it because I had to leave for high school too early to be able to catch it, I always looked forward to coming home to an episode of DBZ.

Then after reading online and spoiling every part of the series for myself I began to gravitate towards the Japanese version, and that was where my real obsession began.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:34 am

Hated it. Well, didn't really hate it, but couldn't get into it at first. I thought the Frieza Arc(Saiyan Saga) sucked and to this day as an avid fan, I still find it questionable. I didn't officially start getting into it until the Ginyu Saga.

I'd like to say it had to do with FUNimation taking over around that time, but I didn't care about that kind of thing back then. I just genuinely didn't like the Saiyan Saga.

Tweaker
Regular

Post by Tweaker » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:21 am

I actually don't really remember. I know that when I was young, I used to get up early in the morning to watch Pokémon when it was on. The same network (UPN at the time) would also show Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z. I watched both, not really following the story at all, and I don't remember how exactly I got into it later... I guess it started from being on Toonami all the time. When you have a gem amidst a sea of stone, it tends to make itself apparent. ;)

I guess as I kept watching, I kept getting into it. I mean, what kid doesn't like to see fighting? I'm more into it for the story aspect now than I used to be, but I still loves me a good fight scene every once in a while.

I'm into it now largely for the nostalgia factor... but then again, who isn't? I think we all have fond childhood memories of the show here. It's nice to relive those old times. :)

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:25 am

Not long. Goku read Krillin's mind, chalked it up to his training, and then beat Reacoome in a single blow. Then I was hooked.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:44 am

I kind of ignored it up until Budokai 1. The abridged story peaked my intrest.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Xell
Beyond Newbie

Post by Xell » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:17 pm

Well, my friend had Cartoon Network and I think the first episode I saw was a rerun of the Saiyan Saga.

I remember my friends saying "OH, WHAT'S HE GOING TO USE. A SPIRIT BOMB OR A KAMEHAMEHA?" I had no clue what they were talking about.

Then I saw one of the Ginyu vs. Goku episodes a year later.. I really hated it. I think it was the voices which annoyed me. Haha, to think, I hated Funimation's mediocre voice acting even when I was a kid.

How long did it take? I don't really know.. But I suddenly got an urge to start watching it. But as I didn't have Cartoon Network, I had to use p2p programs to download fansubs..

And that's pretty much how I became obsessed.

omegacwa

Post by omegacwa » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:40 pm

I watched a few episodes from the Saiyan Saga back in like 97/98 on a recommendation of a friend. I thought it was silly, but at some point I started thinking it was really cool, but I really don't know when that happened. I think it might have had something to do with me buying the World's Strongest uncut VHS tape at suncoast.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:42 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:I kind of ignored it up until Budokai 1. The abridged story peaked my intrest.
This is about what happened with me. I found the show really goddamn slow, so while I was interested in the fighting parts, the long stretches of nothingkept me from being a fan.

Budokai 1 was actually the first lasting exposure I had to the Saiyan/Freeza/Cell sagas.

mAcChaos

Post by mAcChaos » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:58 pm

I saw Cell VS Piccolo and was hooked.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:05 pm

About two or three months, I believe. When the manga started coming out in Norway, they had a free copy of volume 1 as an extra in some comic, and I didn't really read more than a few pages at that point. My sister read it, though, and then bought the following volumes once they came out. I then read volume 2, and while it kept my attention for longer than the first one, I still didn't actually finish it. The first volume I actually read all the way through was volume 3, and ever since that, I was hooked. Ironically, my sister ended up growing tired of the series somewhere around the Saiyan/Freeza-arcs, whereas I'm obviously still a fan.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:34 pm

When I saw the adverts on Cartoon Network, we were all amazed, and it became a heavy topic in the playground.

"You guys see that AWESOME advert on CN last night?!"
"Dragon Ball Zee?! What the heck is it?!"

And then we actually watched it the week after, and the entire playground was full of boys doing yelling "CARMAYHARMAYHAAAAA!" and trying to name all of the characters that appeared, I was the only one who remembered which was Goku and which was Gohan. 8)

The girls had no clue...

I started getting into Anime properly when I was 12, watching Fansubs and such, and started getting DVDs and VHS tapes when I was 14, and later that year also started buying Tokyopop manga and then Dragon Ball once I found out the manga was coming out in England, I bought it every single month on the day it was out.

I couldn't import anything until I was 17, and my first American Anime DVD was Dragon Ball Z Season 1.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: How long did it take you to get into Dragon Ball/Z?

Post by sangofe » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:47 pm

One episode and I was hooked.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:48 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:When I saw the adverts on Cartoon Network, we were all amazed, and it became a heavy topic in the playground.

"You guys see that AWESOME advert on CN last night?!"
"Dragon Ball Zee?! What the heck is it?!"

And then we actually watched it the week after, and the entire playground was full of boys doing yelling "CARMAYHARMAYHAAAAA!" and trying to name all of the characters that appeared, I was the only one who remembered which was Goku and which was Gohan. 8)

The girls had no clue...

I started getting into Anime properly when I was 12, watching Fansubs and such, and started getting DVDs and VHS tapes when I was 14, and later that year also started buying Tokyopop manga and then Dragon Ball once I found out the manga was coming out in England, I bought it every single month on the day it was out.

I couldn't import anything until I was 17, and my first American Anime DVD was Dragon Ball Z Season 1.
Kinda makes me with I was a little younger when Dragonball became popular. That was a really funny story. I'm sigging your "CARMAYHARMAYHAAAAA!" by the way because it made me laugh so much. The younger kids around here were doing the same thing once Dragonball Z became popular. They usually said something more along the lines of, "KAMA KAMAY YA!!!" or something like that. Y'know, something that would make Goten's rendition sound correct.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co