Does DB portray homosexuality unfairly

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rena Rune
Beyond Newbie

Does DB portray homosexuality unfairly

Post by Rena Rune » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:12 pm

The only gay characters as such were General Blue and Otoko Sukii. Both(in the anime for Blue at least) were very stereotypical, and neither were heroes.

Then again DB seems to portray ALL sexuality in a mocking light.

It'd be nice to just have the fact that a character is gay not define their character, and given the large male cast it seems odd, especially during the progressive 90s, there weren't a few more knocking around.

Of course people are going to complain about "assertive action", but the fact is that close to 1 in 10 characters should be gay, so if you have a very large amount of characters with big manly muscles who rip their shirts off at first notice, there's something a bit wrong.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:18 pm

This is how Japan actually views homosexuality, and homosexuals themselves. They are nothing more than caricatures to poke fun at/with (see: "Hard Gay").

It's the same with with any other minority, though homosexuality is at a completely different level of infatuation.

Also, it's from 1984-1995(7), and not 2008(9).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Rena Rune
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rena Rune » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:20 pm

I dunno. Revoltionary Girl Utena for example was from the early-mid 90s and it portrayed lesbianism in a fair light. Though I guess that's not quite the same as gay men.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:42 pm

Being of the bisexual persuasion myself I don't take offense. As Mr.EX stated it's just Japan's culture being...well Japan's culture. If Mr.Popo and General black can have giant red lips then I wasn't expecting anything less when it came to poking fun at the gay culture. Even with that being the case General Blue and Otoko Sukii didn't do anything overly offensive in the manga. I know real gay men who act exactly like them.

However when it comes to the anime making General Blue a pedophile (as in hitting on a young boy who looks about 8 ) I start getting a little more irked. Mainly because of the many morons in my school thinking gay=Pedophile as it is, that stereotype rubs me the wrong way.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:49 pm

America has "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" and that's done some pretty harsh damage to the gay culture.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:55 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:America has "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" and that's done some pretty harsh damage to the gay culture.

Yeah that's a very, very good point. I'm much more offended by Queer Eye for the Straight guy then I am General Blue.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:03 pm

Rena Rune wrote:I dunno. Revoltionary Girl Utena for example was from the early-mid 90s and it portrayed lesbianism in a fair light. Though I guess that's not quite the same as gay men.
I know what you mean. A lot of fans (read; shounen-ai and shouji-ai fans) claim that anime (and Japan by extension) is far more open and tolerant than everywhere else, but it's not true. Most anime that they'll cite as examples just seem to me like they were made specifically to be aimed at drooling fans like them and nothing more. Lots of flash and no substance. Gravitation for instance, I have nothing against the story at all, but it just feels like it's only purpose is to make fangirls squeal. :? That's fine I guess, being entertaining for it's target audience and all, but it's not being open and tolerant really.

Utena is one of the only better examples I can think of. There's also the odd relationships in Cardcaptor Sakura (even though all half the characters are pre-teens) and other CLAMP titles, but yeah.

Anyway, most of the good guys in Dragon Ball are more interested in fighting than sex, so even if they were gay the show probably wouldn't be any different.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:14 pm

Bussani wrote:Anyway, most of the good guys in Dragon Ball are more interested in fighting than sex, so even if they were gay the show probably wouldn't be any different.
I beg to differ, Goku and Vegeta would being going at it, a lot more. Also, I'm not just talking about training.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:18 pm

As far as Japanese culture is concerned, really bad stereotypical black movies offend me more than Officer Black ever could.

Officer Black is actually awesome.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:47 pm

It's the same with Ranma 1/2. They have a "lesbian" character, who they try to "set on the right track."
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:00 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:It's the same with Ranma 1/2. They have a "lesbian" character, who they try to "set on the right track."
Ranma makes sense though... they're not exactly in the modern age, it seems...
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:03 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:It's the same with Ranma 1/2. They have a "lesbian" character, who they try to "set on the right track."
Is this Tsubasa, who's actually a man? God that was confusing...
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:07 pm

mAcChaos wrote:
Isn't Ranma in a Naruto sort of world, where it's got no real set time? It's sort of modern, but at the same time, it's not?
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:09 pm

bkev wrote:
Is this Tsubasa, who's actually a man? God that was confusing...
Yep. Is he in the anime? I'm not certain, since I've only read the manga around that part of the series.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:12 pm

Fear not, they left him in the anime.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:14 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:
mAcChaos wrote:
Isn't Ranma in a Naruto sort of world, where it's got no real set time? It's sort of modern, but at the same time, it's not?
Ranma was set in present day Japan.

Saiyan-Professor
I Live Here

Post by Saiyan-Professor » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:30 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:
Bussani wrote:Anyway, most of the good guys in Dragon Ball are more interested in fighting than sex, so even if they were gay the show probably wouldn't be any different.
I beg to differ, Goku and Vegeta would being going at it, a lot more. Also, I'm not just talking about training.
There have been jokes about those two for years especially about what Fusion really was supposed to represent. I should not have to explain what they believed it meant.
The Saiyans are very much like the Klingons and Jem'Hadar.

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:32 pm

Saiyan-Professor wrote:
SSJ4 Furanki wrote:
There have been jokes about those two for years especially about what Fusion really was supposed to represent. I should not have to explain what they believed it meant.
I know, I'm joking around.

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:51 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:
Oh God...angry Saiyajin sex?
Kingdom Heartless wrote:
mAcChaos wrote:
Nope, Ranma was set in modern day (at the time) Tokyo. The Tendo family just happened to live in a rather old fashion house/dojo.

I was going to point out that Tsubasa isn't actually gay (he just likes to 'dress up'), but you're right, that doesn't change the fact that when they thought he was a she and a lesbian, they tried to set 'her' on the right track. Of course, it could have just been to get him off Ukyo's back, I'm not sure.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:22 pm

A Japanese shounen manga from the 80s is hardly a place where you'd expect to find progressive views of homosexuality. It's made to appeal to young boys, so usually you're not going to find much portrayal of any romantic relationships, much less homosexual ones. The occasional gay characters you do find in shounen will usually be portrayed stereotypically, or be minor characters whose love lives are never expounded upon.

Some people view even the occasional inclusion of homosexual characters in anime as Japan being progressive, but actually, homosexuality is more accepted as a fantasy (i.e., girls reading BL manga) than a reality (such as two gay men having a long-term relationship). It is still a society that very much expects its citizens to adhere to the traditional life path of a man and woman getting married, with the man working and the woman staying home to take care of the kids.
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube