Vegeta And Trunks: The Strange Gesture.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:46 pm

Yeah, maybe a secret handshake kinda thing.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:15 am

Mosaic wrote:Isn't there a dojinshi out there that has Vegeta doing the hand gesture, and Trunks giving him the finger? :lol:
Yeah, I have one that has that in it....I was surprised to see it, because I'd thought of making fanart of that idea myself before I ever saw it. :lol:
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:56 am

I always took that gesture as being strange too. But I just put it down to Vegeta saying goodbye. The same happened in the manga too.

So, in conclusion, it's just a wave goodbye or something.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:58 am

Duo wrote:Me and some of my friends acknowledge one another by throwing Kamehameha and various other Ki attacks at one another...but I suppose the two finger salute is cool too. I just took it for a Japanese culture sort of thing.
Same here. I was wondering if it was to do with Japanese culture.

And I've also just realized, Cell does the same two finger salute to Trunks.
Holden Caulfield in [b][i]The Catcher in the Rye[/i][/b] wrote:I hope to hell when I do die somebody has sense enough to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetery. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

ImmortalSandwich
Beyond Newbie

Post by ImmortalSandwich » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:07 am

Has nobody ever heard of a peace sign?

http://thewordwarrior.files.wordpress.c ... e-sign.gif

Trunks and Vegeta are doing that, except with the fingers closed.. Shouldn't be hard to understand.. Saying "Peace" instead of "Good bye" is pretty common where I come from. So is the two finger peace sign..
"Welcome to Sex Ed. May all your dreams come true."

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:20 am

We've all heard of the peace sign, we just didn't say anything because the two look nothing alike. By your logic I could also say giving you the middle finger is also the peace sign just with one finger down.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

Bussani
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Bussani » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:03 am

Mr Piccolo Daimao, you can edit your threads instead of double posting, you know.

This thread is back from the dead! Uhh...so yeah, Goku does it a lot and Cell did it when saying goodbye to Trunks after announcing the Cell games. It's a salute/wave sort of thing. I do it too sometimes. I've probably already said this though.

ImmortalSandwich
Beyond Newbie

Post by ImmortalSandwich » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:50 am

SSJ2bardock wrote:We've all heard of the peace sign, we just didn't say anything because the two look nothing alike. By your logic I could also say giving you the middle finger is also the peace sign just with one finger down.
Actually, they look exactly alike, except the fingers are closed rather than being spread apart. There's only one small difference. By your logic, waving goodbye is something completely different when you close the fingers together instead of spreading them apart. It's the same thing, it just looks slightly different.

shotkeeper
Regular

Post by shotkeeper » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:28 am

It's normal for me. I sometimes ( more like often) do that too...

Nothing strange on it IMO.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:24 pm

ImmortalSandwich wrote: Actually, they look exactly alike, except the fingers are closed rather than being spread apart. There's only one small difference. By your logic, waving goodbye is something completely different when you close the fingers together instead of spreading them apart. It's the same thing, it just looks slightly different.
:lol: Are you seeing what you're saying? This is hilarious, also I was going by your logic not mine.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

ImmortalSandwich
Beyond Newbie

Post by ImmortalSandwich » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:25 pm

SSJ2bardock wrote:
ImmortalSandwich wrote: Actually, they look exactly alike, except the fingers are closed rather than being spread apart. There's only one small difference. By your logic, waving goodbye is something completely different when you close the fingers together instead of spreading them apart. It's the same thing, it just looks slightly different.
:lol: Are you seeing what you're saying? This is hilarious, also I was going by your logic not mine.
That's not my logic, you're just being a smart ass. The positioning of the other fingers is identical to the peace sign, and the index and middle finger are extended. The one difference between the two is that in the traditional peace sign, the two extended fingers are separated, and the one Trunks and Vegeta do, they are held together. It is still the same posture in every other way. So saying that the signs look nothing alike is an ignorant statement, because they look very similar.

I've made my point three times. I'm done here.

SSJ2bardock
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2bardock » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:40 pm

ImmortalSandwich wrote:The positioning of the other fingers is identical
ImmortalSandwich wrote:they look very similar.
Make up your mind will you, do they look identical or similar?

It's pretty obvious that this

is not what they're doing.
PSN Stay_Slapped

Let’s play FighterZ

ImmortalSandwich
Beyond Newbie

Post by ImmortalSandwich » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:52 pm

By "other fingers" I was talking about the fingers which aren't extended. I know what I'm talking about, apparently you don't.

Seriously dude, I think this is a retarded argument, but look.

Outlined in red are the similarities, and outlined in blue are the differences. As you can see, the two sets look very similar, the only difference being the spacing of the index and middle fingers. Argue all you want. The proof is visual. Vegeta and Trunks look like they're doing peace signs to me, but I guess I'm wrong. It's some new, completely unheard of hand gesture which is nothing like a peace sign in any way, just like you say it is.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:01 pm

ImmortalSandwich wrote:
SSJ2bardock wrote:
That's not my logic, you're just being a smart ass. The positioning of the other fingers is identical to the peace sign, and the index and middle finger are extended. The one difference between the two is that in the traditional peace sign, the two extended fingers are separated, and the one Trunks and Vegeta do, they are held together. It is still the same posture in every other way. So saying that the signs look nothing alike is an ignorant statement, because they look very similar.

I've made my point three times. I'm done here.
NO, they do NOT. You completely missed his point. If a salute can be done by extending the index and middle together in a scenario of salutation, we're going to assume it's a salute. Yes there's only one difference between a two-fingered salute and a peace sign, but it's because of that one big difference that we don't think of it, especially since what they did is identical WITHOUT differences to something else.

Hence SSJ2bardock's point: you wouldn't take the the middle finger to be a peace sign minus the index finger, just like you wouldn't take a two-fingered slute to mean a peace sign minus the gap.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Cypher
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cypher » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:04 pm

I think it's just a general acknowledgement of Trunks' presence/ departure...as previously mentioned, Vegeta wouldn't exactly wave or, god forbid, SAY GOODBYE, would he?

It seems there are two camps: people who have seen this gesture used (basically a salute, except Vegeta can't be arsed to unfold his arms) or those who haven't; apart from that it's just a random gesture in my opinion. Impressed by the amount of conversation that such a minor point can cause, though :D

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:09 pm

ImmortalSandwich wrote:By "other fingers" I was talking about the fingers which aren't extended. I know what I'm talking about, apparently you don't.

Outlined in red are the similarities, and outlined in blue are the differences. As you can see, the two sets look very similar, the only difference being the spacing of the index and middle fingers. Argue all you want. The proof is visual. Vegeta and Trunks look like they're doing peace signs to me, but I guess I'm wrong. It's some new, completely unheard of hand gesture which is nothing like a peace sign in any way, just like you say it is.
In those peace signs the thumb is on the third finger, while on the Salute Thingy the thumb is under the other two fingers.

So you lose. :P
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Satan-Sama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Satan-Sama » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:08 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:
ImmortalSandwich wrote:By "other fingers" I was talking about the fingers which aren't extended. I know what I'm talking about, apparently you don't.

while on the Salute Thingy the thumb is under the other two fingers.

But it's not... Look at it again.
KRILLIN'S IN DA HOUSE!
AND HE IS LOOKING MONDO COOL!
SO DON'T BE CRAMPIN' HIS STYLE!

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:24 pm

Satan-Sama wrote:
The Tori-bot wrote:

while on the Salute Thingy the thumb is under the other two fingers.

But it's not... Look at it again.
Fine, I give up.

It was a ludicrous argument anyway. :P
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:42 pm

Let's bring more diagrams into this. It's clearly much much deeper then we had thought at first.
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Re: Vegeta And Trunks: The Strange Gesture.

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:18 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:Maybe I' am just looking too deep into it. But it looks a lot like the move Vegeta used to use to finish off little piss ant enemies. Perhaps he's telling Trunks, those Androids are nothing now, destroy them!

Thoughts?
Well, Vegeta and Trunks could have possibly killed some flies in the area. :P