Japan Trip

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

firen

Japan Trip

Post by firen » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:29 am

I will be going to Japan soon with a friend. I will be in Kyoto for a couple of days then go to Tokyo for like ten days. You guys have any recommendations on stores or whatnot to check out in Tokyo that is Dragonball related? Even if it isn't any sort of suggestion would be great.

I hope this is the right section

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:43 am

Mandarake in Nakano, Tokyo is very good. You can pick up kanzenban and tankoubon for very cheap, and even find most of the Dragon Boxes. Then they've got all sorts of figures, including those One Piece X DB and DB Creatures figures. Lot's of cool stuff. And some creepy stuff too...
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:59 am

Herms wrote:And some creepy stuff too...
Oh, do elaborate.

Snail

Post by Snail » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:59 am

Herms wrote:And some creepy stuff too...
I'm curious. What kind of creepy stuff?

"Toooo-shiiii-ohhhh.."

firen

Post by firen » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:35 am

Herms wrote:Mandarake in Nakano, Tokyo is very good. You can pick up kanzenban and tankoubon for very cheap, and even find most of the Dragon Boxes. Then they've got all sorts of figures, including those One Piece X DB and DB Creatures figures. Lot's of cool stuff. And some creepy stuff too...
Sweet, I'll check it out.

Yi Xing Long
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Yi Xing Long » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:00 am

Herms wrote:Mandarake in Nakano, Tokyo is very good. You can pick up kanzenban and tankoubon for very cheap, and even find most of the Dragon Boxes. Then they've got all sorts of figures, including those One Piece X DB and DB Creatures figures. Lot's of cool stuff. And some creepy stuff too...
Would those "creepy" things by any chance include mammary-themed mouse pads? Or how about anime blow-up... I think I'll stop... >.>

Aremke
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Aremke » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:10 am

The one tip I discovered the hard way for avoiding such creepy sections of stores in Tokyo is this: Don't go into the basement. More often then not, that's where the fetish stuff is. Brave souls can endeavor to explore for fear of missing that one cool relatively innocent section that might have that elusive figure you've been searching for, but more often than not, it's gonna be really creepy.

Honestly, I was disappointed on my visit to Tokyo, even to the supposed mecca that is Akihabara, though I'm told by friends that, one, I missed all the good stores, and two, Aki isn't what it used to be. Next time, I'm taking my more knowledgeable buds.
"Justice, Honor, Hope, Purity, Victory"

Update: Issue 10 is up! Volume 1 is complete!

Please check out my Yamcha fan manga:
http://www.rmkworld.net/ELSEWHERE/elsewhere.htm

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:42 am

You can pick up kanzenban and tankoubon for very cheap, and even find most of the Dragon Boxes.
Generally speaking, how much does the manga generally go for in Japan? In Yen or USD or whatever? Is it much cheaper than in the Western countries?
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Yi Xing Long
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Yi Xing Long » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:36 am

Kingdom Heartless wrote:
You can pick up kanzenban and tankoubon for very cheap, and even find most of the Dragon Boxes.
Generally speaking, how much does the manga generally go for in Japan? In Yen or USD or whatever? Is it much cheaper than in the Western countries?
Tankoubon are usually 390-580 yen (brand new) I think. At the moment the exchange rate is ~93 yen to 1 USD. In the US at any Book-Off store you can find used tankoubon for $1 USD.

Kingdom Heartless
I Live Here

Post by Kingdom Heartless » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:14 am

Jeez, if I ever had the chance, at that price I would get a few of the Japanese ones just so I could own them.
Yo! Cal's the name. Nice to meet you!
Lover of all that is pure and fun in the worlds of Dragon Ball, Jim Henson and so forth!
3DS Friend Code 1418-7854-8786. I'm always playing Pokemon, so PM me yours for Friend Safari and battling! :D

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:34 am

Aremke wrote:The one tip I discovered the hard way for avoiding such creepy sections of stores in Tokyo is this: Don't go into the basement. More often then not, that's where the fetish stuff is. Brave souls can endeavor to explore for fear of missing that one cool relatively innocent section that might have that elusive figure you've been searching for, but more often than not, it's gonna be really creepy.
Mandarake in Nakano is sort of the opposite in that it's all located in the upper levels of the shopping complex, so the higher levels are where you'd want to avoid (the basement there is just a supermarket, though they also have a psychic telephone business, which they'll chase you away from if you get too close). The fetish stuff is mostly on the second highest floor, if I remember right, and the uppermost floor is filled with occult/UFO stuff, including two life-size alien grey statues mounted into the wall.
Kingdom Heartless wrote:Generally speaking, how much does the manga generally go for in Japan? In Yen or USD or whatever? Is it much cheaper than in the Western countries?
Kanzenban (DragonBall and otherwise) generally go for 700-1000 yen, which about $7-10 (more at the current exchange rate).
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Snail

Post by Snail » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:39 am

So that's two floors of fetish meterial.

:P

Zenkai Power
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai Power » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:47 am

I am (or was) a Dragonball cel collector and I KNOW Mandarake usually has some pretty good pieces (or did) for sale at decent prices if you get them there. You should check that out and take some pics so I can see what I'm missing out on. :(

Smindas

Post by Smindas » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:42 am

When I was in Japan, pretty much everywhere in Tokyo's Akihabara (probably spelt wrong, but it's alternatively known as Nerd Town ;P) sold Dragon Ball merch. In fact, one of my enduring memories of my entire travelling around Japan experience was seeing Goku's mug a lot more than I expected - you won't struggle to find something of Dragon Ball relation. There were Lawson convenience stores selling Real Works figures in one town I visited, for instance.

Also, if you're going to Tokyo, and are a manga fan (which I think it is safe to assume you are), it's a necessity to check out the Manga Museum they have there. It provides quite an interesting history of the cultural contexts behind the development of manga (in English, don't worry) and you also get to witness possibly the largest of manga libraries in existence. The English language manga section is tiny, but there's a few good reads in there. Also, when I was there, in the museum's shop they were selling two Dragon Ball shirts; a black Red Ribbon logo adorned shirt (like Android 17) and an orange shirt with Goku's gi symbols.

Too long, didn't read; Japan provides for Dragon Ball fans.

firen

Post by firen » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:12 am

Smindas wrote:When I was in Japan, pretty much everywhere in Tokyo's Akihabara (probably spelt wrong, but it's alternatively known as Nerd Town ;P) sold Dragon Ball merch. In fact, one of my enduring memories of my entire travelling around Japan experience was seeing Goku's mug a lot more than I expected - you won't struggle to find something of Dragon Ball relation. There were Lawson convenience stores selling Real Works figures in one town I visited, for instance.

Also, if you're going to Tokyo, and are a manga fan (which I think it is safe to assume you are), it's a necessity to check out the Manga Museum they have there. It provides quite an interesting history of the cultural contexts behind the development of manga (in English, don't worry) and you also get to witness possibly the largest of manga libraries in existence. The English language manga section is tiny, but there's a few good reads in there. Also, when I was there, in the museum's shop they were selling two Dragon Ball shirts; a black Red Ribbon logo adorned shirt (like Android 17) and an orange shirt with Goku's gi symbols.

Sweet thanks for the tip!

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:28 pm

Kingdom Heartless wrote:Jeez, if I ever had the chance, at that price I would get a few of the Japanese ones just so I could own them.
You can find the Tankoubon in pretty much every Japanese bookstore in NYC.

Yi Xing Long
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Yi Xing Long » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:57 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:
Kingdom Heartless wrote:Jeez, if I ever had the chance, at that price I would get a few of the Japanese ones just so I could own them.
Although they bump up the price to around $6 USD (or more, depending) usually (at Kinokuniya anyway).

Smindas

Post by Smindas » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:07 pm

firen wrote:
Smindas wrote:When I was in Japan, pretty much everywhere in Tokyo's Akihabara (probably spelt wrong, but it's alternatively known as Nerd Town ;P) sold Dragon Ball merch. In fact, one of my enduring memories of my entire travelling around Japan experience was seeing Goku's mug a lot more than I expected - you won't struggle to find something of Dragon Ball relation. There were Lawson convenience stores selling Real Works figures in one town I visited, for instance.

Sweet thanks for the tip!
Sorry, I made a rather significant mistake there. The Manga Museum is in Kyoto, not Tokyo!

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:53 pm

Yi Xing Long wrote:
Sun_Wukong wrote:
Although they bump up the price to around $6 USD (or more, depending) usually (at Kinokuniya anyway).
I'd rather spend $6 at Kinokuniya than go broke trying to get to Japan.

But that's me, lol.

Saiyajin no Tatsujin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyajin no Tatsujin » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:41 pm

You can still find some great prices on older Dragon Ball video games (complete) in various game shops in Tokyo's Akihabara district. You have to look hard, though, as they won't be on display. :lol: